Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Randy Rhoads

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What do you think of Randy's tone? I like his playing, but I 've never really liked his tone. It has always sounded flat or one dimensional to me. Maybe they just never fully captured his sound in the studio. I love Blizzard and Diary, but his tone never shattered my bones like Eddie's did on VH - 1984. What do you think?
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I thought randy's tone was good, but I hated the way Blizzard and Diary were mixed. The whole band sounds like shit, IMO. On Tribute, though, Randy's "true" tone comes out. It's still not comparable to the brown sound.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Agree with Mr Roberts, although Diary was mixed a little better. I had a King Biscut tape of Ozzy and the tone was even better than the Tribute album. The solo from that show was edited into the Tribute album.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I agree, the production on Blizzard wasn't great. Diary sounded much better. Tribute sounded just fine to me. As far as the tone goes, I always thought Randy was relying on a cheap ass Ibanez distortion pedal and not getting enough gain/warmth from his amps. Not a lot of low end in the EQ. His rig sounded better live than on tape. I want to say it was '81 or '82 and blame it on the technology he had at the time, but there are some great quitar sounds from that time. I dunno, I think there are remastered versions of most of the Ozzy catalog out there in the bargian bin. I had Over the Mountain on this past weekend in the headphones and it sounded just fine. When in doubt turn it up! Long live RR...

Later,
    Chewi
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man I love Randy rhodes. My writing style more closly resembles his than eddie's. (I should probably be NxtRRhodes anyway) I like the chorusing effect but the tone is alittle off. But I bet it kicked ass live. ANy way I prefer Ed's tone on Fair Warning to almost any tone I can think of right now. It was clean enough to do chords cleanly but distorted. I also like the tone on balance second best. totaly underrated IMO.

[ January 15, 2002 at 04:09 PM: Message edited by: NxtVanHalen. ]</p>

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i like randy. now that you mention it, his tone does sound a little flat to me. but i've always admired his playing. i don't have blizzard or diary, but i have been thinking about it now that they have been remastered.

and i should also mention that i like ed's tone on balance the best, then fair warning. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Randy Rhodes was awesome. I have and listen to Blizzard and Diary the most out of all my Ozzy CD's.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Resurrecting an older thread, but I just wanted to remind everyone that we're coming up on the 20th anniversary of Randy's death (March 19, 1982). Anybody here at the forums remember that day? I don't think I found out the news until several days later (I didn't have MTV until 1984, so I had no daily music news).

Anyhow, here's a nice little article I found that summed up Randy's tenure in Ozzy's first solo band. R.I.P., RR. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] We still miss ya.

Ozzy's Tribute To Randy Rhoads
    by Jon Sutherland

When Ozzy Osbourne made his break from Black Sabbath at the start of this decade, the prevailing thought at the time was that he would fade out of the picture and that Black Sabbath would rise from the ashes and put some more power into their machine. Not very many people gave Ozzy Osbourne a chance to surpass Black Sabbath as a potent force on the metal scene. The one variable that set up the whole Ozzy Osbourne superstar structure was the guitar playing of Randy Rhoads.

There had been talk of Ozzy teaming up with other name guitar players at the time in an attempt to form a "supergroup". Instead he took advice from his soon to be wife Sharon Arden and came out to Los Angeles to inspect a crop of guitar players hoping to find a diamond in the rough. After several pale imitations of Tony Iommi, including one player who went to the extreme of wearing plastic tips on his fretting hand ala Tony, Ozzy was about to give up. He had sat through seemingly endless auditions and retired to a hotel room with a half-fried brain. Literally a day before Ozzy was scheduled to return to England he received a call from a talent scout who insisted that he listen to one more player saying, "you have to listen to this guy, you're insane not to." Randy Rhoads walked into

Ozzy's hotel room at almost 4:00 a.m. with a small amp and just started playing. The first words out of Ozzy's mouth were, "you want a gig man?"

Randy hadn't been a part of the Rainbow scene. He had spent his time practicing and teaching guitar to a new generation of guitar players that he touched forever. He had recorded the first two Quiet Riot albums and a rare 7" single that were only released in Japan but to most everyone outside of the LA scene he was still an unknown. Ozzy took Randy to England where they started putting together the first two albums,"Blizzard Of Ozz", and "Diary Of A Madman."

From the beginning Ozzy was careful to give Randy the space he needed to grow as a musician and was quoted many times as to how happy he was with Randy's playing. "He's been such a gift I can't tell you, not only is he a great player, he's a great person to work with." Ozzy even mentioned that he would never trap Randy in any band instead saying, "whether he wants to play for me or on his own, good luck to the guy."

The first album, "Blizzard of Ozz" was released well ahead of the domestic version and sold much better than anticipated, and also forced Columbia to take the band seriously. Ozzy was far from a washed up old rocker. He had a new band that killed and a guitar player that was slowly becoming a legend. At that time all the attention was focused on Eddie Van Halen and Randy drew some criticism probably more out of petty jealousy of the fans faithful to Eddie. The majority of metal fans delighted in Randy's incredibly fluid playing, his unique chording and seemingly impossible to throw in fills that were his trademark. Seeing Randy live on the first tour it was evident then that he had grown incredibly as a player just from the recording of the record! He threw in fills that were impossible and played his ass off as Ozzy loaded him up on his shoulders and carried him around the stage as if to show Randy off to the world. Randy's constant search for musical knowledge was insatiable. According to Ozzy, "When we were on the road Randy would look in the yellow pages of each city and find a classical guitar teacher so he could take guitar lessons. Just before our last concert in Nashville, Randy was practicing classical guitar in the dressing room and I couldn't believe how much he had improved in eight weeks."

On that tour with Ozzy, the band was in the process of recording a live record that would feature Randy Rhoads. "We had a contractual obligation," Ozzy said, "one album was going to be my stuff with Randy and the other album was going to be old Black Sabbath stuff. When Randy was killed I refused to let the live album be released. I felt it was in bad taste. Ever since then I have been getting bags of mail as has Mrs. Rhoads. My wife and Mrs. Rhoads got together on the phone just before Christmas 1986 and the possibility of releasing the live record was brought up. I said I would listen to it and if it was any good I'd put it out. I didn't want to put out a record that sounded like a bootleg, it's come out real good."

"I don't think that if Randy was alive today that he would be all that happy with the record, because like most guitar players he was a perfectionist. I have heard him play better than this and I have heard him play worse than this, but this is the best of what I have to offer. I can honestly say that this is the end of it. I have no more live recordings of Randy."

Most knowledgeable rock fans knew that the last tour was being recorded and in fact a lot of us have tapes from radio broadcasts made during that tour. Ozzy had said in the past that he felt Randy Rhoads would become a cult legend much in the way that Jimi Hendrix's aura had grown after his death. There are a couple of basic distinctions between the two legends, Hendrix and Rhoads. As great a guitar player as he was, Jimi Hendrix may not have taken his talent and vision as seriously as he had to. His experiments with drugs and his threatening lifestyle made his loss more understandable even though artistically it was incredibly tragic. Randy's death was so senseless. He was a brightly burning star that was influencing the entire musical world by his romance with his instrument. He took his gift seriously by practicing, constantly growing, and keeping in contact with other musicians. Ozzy always raved about how polite Randy was, how easy to deal with Randy was when working or just passing the time. Now for the record and on vinyl Ozzy has made the right decision by letting all those who loved Randy have a final moment we can treasure as well. It is sad that Ozzy says this is all that's left from Randy's legacy. This writer I'm sure is in accordance with most people who have read this far in saying that we will never forget Randy Rhoads and the "Tribute" album is something very special and definitely worth the wait.

Bio by Jon Sutherland/ Aardschok America Magazine:June 1987
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember the day Randy died. 20 damn years ago...jeez.
    I agree that he wasn't recorded properly. But he was so good it didn't matter that he didn't have that ballsy production backing him up. His sound was very clean. He was very clean. The yang to Ozzy's yin. There was something very fragile, nerdy and lovely about him...he definitely had the aura of someone who wasn't meant to be on earth for very long...
    So yeah RR's recordings are kinda thin but a friend of mine saw him in concert w/Ozzy (with Rush opening ) and she said his live sound was ferocious. The opening feedback squeal and riff that leads off "Crazy Train" is brilliant
    Who knows what else he could have accomplished if he was alive today?
    I miss you too, Randy, Rock In Peace [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    (pretty smile)

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a randy fanatic. i had tears coming down my eyes today just listening to him. the man was obviously a genius. and i was crying because he died. i dont really get it myself. and his tone is awesome have you heard the tribute? his guitar solo is just breathtaking. but i'm possibly think he's a little better than evh??

i really miss randys work. and it breaks my heart that he died at 25! too many plane accidents. like Aliyah, she was only 21 or so. i'm not into pop, but thats pretty sad too. god bless randy. randy died march 19th, 1982 [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

[ March 09, 2002 at 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Mean_Street ]</p>
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i LOVE his guitar

This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anyone know what language this is ? its on randy and i want to read it but i cant

В пятницу, 19 марта 1982 года, в авиакатастрофе погиб Рэнди Роудз (Randy Roads) - гитарист Оззи Осборна. Это был небольшой частный прогулочный самолет. Пилот оказался в состоянии наркотического опьянения.

[ March 09, 2002 at 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Mean_Street ]</p>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

listening to his whole tribute album brings tears to my eyes. listening to goodbye to romance and looking at sad randy photos is making me cry

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, VH, WACF, Balance, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, H4T, I\'m the One, Romeo
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mean_Street:

anyone know what language this is ? its on randy and i want to read it but i cant

В пятницу, 19 марта 1982 года, в авиакатастрофе погиб Рэнди Роудз (Randy Roads) - гитарист Оззи Осборна. Это был небольшой частный прогулочный самолет. Пилот оказался в состоянии наркотического опьянения.
    I believe it is Russian
    But I can't read it~!!
    Any Russian friends Mean Street?

[ March 09, 2002 at 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Haaseracer ]</p>