Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Neal Schon Interview

Last year we featured an interview with Neal Schon of Journey. During our chat, we asked Neal if he would consider coming back to do a career retrospective on his band Journey. Well, we got what we asked for and much, much more! Besides talking in-depth about his career as the band's lead guitar player and founding member, Schon also filled us in on his Grammy nominated solo album Voice as well as divulging a bit of information on the supergroup he has formed with Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony of Van Halen! Read to get the real story of what is going on behind the scenes of this incredible new band.

This is a riveting interview that shows Schon excited about the future. He is fired up about his new project and is kick starting Journey around the country taking the band in brave and bold directions not seen since the days of albums called Infinity and Evolution -- dare we say that he is taking Journey into the new millennium, not afraid to try new things and possibly even shelf ballads for rockers! There we said it: Neal Schon admits he is tired of pop music and is ready to rock! Schon honestly and openly speaks about his true feelings of why Steve Perry refused to tour after Trial By Fire. Schon also unveils Journey's plans now that they have left Sony Music. Read on as it may just surprise you!

Special thanks for this interview go out to Judy Kozan and Caryn Sinagra for making this happen. Visit Journey online at

-Jeb Wright March 2002

The Interview

Jeb: I am very honored to be talking to a 2001 Grammy nominated instrumental guitar player.

Neal: (chuckling) It was cool just to get a nod from everyone.

Jeb: Still no win for either Journey or you!

Neal: That just means that there are more years down the line for me!

Jeb: I have been listening to your solo album Voice and the song that struck me the most was the Annie Lennox tune “Why.”

Neal: I like that song too. Every song on there has been stuck in my head for years.

Jeb: Some of the songs on here kind of surprised me. You would not think that Neal Schon the hard rock guitar guy would be listening to some of this stuff.

Nominated For A 2002 Grammy
    Click Buy To Check Out Samples!

Neal: I listen to everything. I have a lot of different sides to my playing. If people have listened to the bulk of my work since I was 15 then they have to know that by now. People who have not -- some people prefer my hard rock stuff and some people prefer some of the softer stuff I do with Journey. It is all different. This is a record where I was on tour and I was basically trying to think of a way that I could knock out a record while I was on tour and would not have to be there for writing purposes. It was an idea of mine to do a bunch of cover tunes of some of the biggest ballads. I really like the Andrea Bocelli stuff. Those two songs of his are my two favorite songs on the album. Doing the opera stuff just took the record a step further, I think. Pop tunes have been done with saxophones or whatever but I think this is really the first time somebody has done a record like this -- where the songs are known and done with pretty much stadium style guitar playing. Had I played the songs very quietly and jazzier then Higher Octave (the record label that released Voice) would have been happier because I would have gotten more radio airplay. I really didn’t want to do that because I was afraid it would end up sounding like Musak. I wanted to keep intact my voice on the guitar and emulate these vocals the best that I could.

Jeb: Whose voice did you find the most inspirational when you were making the album?

Neal: I am really listening to melodies. They are all great singers and I can’t really pick one. My favorite voice of all time is Aretha Franklin. I didn’t do any of her songs. When I first heard the song “Hero” I thought, “Man, I really want to play a guitar solo on the song. I could just really soulfully attack that thing.”

Jeb: Were there more than ten or did the list come really quickly?

Neal: I had about seven that I decided I really wanted to do. My ex-manager Herbie Herbert came over and suggested that I do “Killing Me Softly.” I thought “Why not” so I tried it. He also suggested I do the Bryan Adams song.

Jeb: The opening song “Caruso” really is a good example of how you could have made a song Musak but didn’t.

Neal: From the first time I heard that song, when Andrea Bocelli’s album came out, I was thinking to myself that it sounded European. I thought it would translate well to guitar. That was a couple of years before I did this record. I love the changes in the song and the way that the melody fell onto the changes. I put a little drum time to it and gave it more of a Blow By Blow production.

Jeb: Is this a one time thing or are you thinking of doing another one?

Neal: I am not even thinking of doing another one. My solo instrumental records are pretty much a one off. Higher Octave was very interested in me recreating Beyond The Thunder because it did very well. It got massive radio acceptance and sold a lot of units. They wanted me to do another one just like that but I didn’t want to do that. Instead, I came up with Electric World, which was a much more progressive and musical record. It was not a better record; it was just different. It was more out there and more like Miles Davis. Still, it was a very cool record but radio just snubbed it and they didn’t know what to do with it. When I do these records, I am not thinking of radio at all. I am just thinking about what I want to do. I have gotten off of Higher Octave, which I really am glad about. They were all right to work with but they really didn’t understand my music that much. They didn’t really know what to do with it. There was no radio genre for it. If they don’t have a radio station to play it then they are lost. I was like, “Come on guys, Journey has got this documentary on VH1 that millions of our fans are going to watch so why don’t you make a TV commercial?” They said, “Well that costs money.” Of course it does but sometimes you have got to spend money to make money, you know? I actually have another record that is in the can with the tentative title of Eye On You. It is pretty much done; it just needs to be mixed. I think I am going to release it on Steve Vai’s Favored Nations label. The guy has been a friend of mine for years and he really understands guitars. We have been talking on and off for the last few months. I really think it is going to be a great place to do my solo ventures. Every one of my solo records that I have done for Higher Octave I have had to keep in the back of my mind that there are limitations of what I can do. It is a very soft format. Even though my stuff is very melodic, it is way to heavy for them. It wasn’t even heavy if you know what I mean. It was orchestrated and had soulful type soloing but because it wasn’t acoustic or jazz sounding they said it was too heavy.

Jeb: I think Favored Nations would be an excellent place for you to be. Some of the stuff that is coming out of that label is really cool.

Neal: Absolutely. Steve is more like, “This is a place where you can experiment and do whatever it is you want to do.” That is really where I want to be for my solo records. I am not thinking about being commercial. I am thinking about being expressive and artistic.

Jeb: Another song that I have not heard but was asked to ask you about is called “Saving Grace.”

Neal: I wrote that with Paul Rodgers years ago. He actually released it on one of his solo records. I wrote a couple of tunes with him 7-8 years ago. He just pulled it out and started playing it with Bad Company. Apparently, they just got a new record deal and they really liked it so they are releasing it as a single.

Jeb: I really like Paul and even call him and his fiancÚ friends of mine. She wanted me to ask you about this song called “Saving Grace” and now I know why!

Neal: Paul Rodgers is one of the greatest singers of all time. They guy has definitely still got it. He is one of the best, if not the best! He sings like a record every night. I had a blast playing with those guys recently. They played in Conocti, California. I drove up there to jam with those guys. I had a great time and then he (Paul) invited me to go down to LA, where they were shooting more of their DVD, so I went down there. It was Slash and myself. I hope it makes it on there because that audience went off.

Jeb: What did you guys play?

Neal: I came on first and I played “Saving Grace” with them. At the end of the night, Slash and I went on and played a blistering version of “Wishing Well.” As soon as we walked off stage people were immediately stomping on the floor. I had not heard that since the early days when I used to play Winterland in San Francisco when Journey was a jam band and we used to electrify people. It was great to get that kind of reaction so we had to come back and play another tune. We did a really great version of “Crossroads.” I hope some of that stuff makes it on the DVD. I have not talked to Paul yet so I don’t know what he has considered and what he hasn’t.

Jeb: You are amid the rumor mill again with the news of a new band that you are putting together.

Neal: It is not a rumor; it’s true.

Jeb: I have heard it is called Planet Us.

Neal: That is the working title.

Jeb: See if this is correct: Neal Schon, Sammy Hagar, Deen Castronovo and Michael Anthony from Van Halen.

Neal: That is right.

Jeb: There were some rumors that Slash was going to be involved but then I heard that it faded off.

Neal: We wanted to record some stuff that I had written with Sam immediately and Slash couldn’t make the recording sessions. We recorded without him and now everyone is digging it. We don’t know what will happen in the future. We are not going to go on full steam with this until the fall. Sammy might or might not go out on tour this year but I am already committed to doing to a Journey tour. I am in the studio right now with Journey and we are writing some blistering new stuff. We are not signed to Sony any more and it is really kind of cool. Now we get to do what we want to. I am a free agent and I love being in that position. We (Journey) are going to go out this summer. We are going to come out with a mini EP. I want to come out with a teaser. I want to come out with the three hottest songs that we can add to our set immediately. We are going to sell them on a CD at our shows only. It is sort of the concept from the early days. You know, people would hear an EP from Van Halen before the record came out. It would be three songs and it would help get the buzz out about something new that you are doing. This stuff is rocking so hard and it sounds pretty good.

Jeb: I love to hear artists that are really into their music.

Neal: It was my idea. I went to the guys and I told them that it was not going to be about pop music. It was going to be about getting creative. I wanted to put on our musical hats and get creative. Let’s jump off the cliff and see if we can fly, that is sort of what we are going for. We’re not thinking about radio. I am thinking strictly about playing live and what I think the audience is going to dig.

Jeb: How did you get the wild hair up your to get with Sammy and Anthony?

Neal: Sam and I go back to the ‘70’s. We go back to the early days of Montrose. We have always gotten along really well like brothers. I have a lot of material that I have written through the years that is on the heavier side. It has not found a home. A lot of which were songs that were intended to be a Hardline II record, which never happened. I have taken a lot of my music from that and revived it. I have re-written it. Sammy knew exactly what to do with it immediately. Him and I are very, very quick in the studio-- that is another cool thing. When things are very inspired and start flowing very fast then it is usually happening for real. When you have to sit there and scratch your head and go, “I don’t like this” then it is not the same. We have a very inspired situation and we have gotten off to an kicking start with the two songs that we have done, “Vertigo” and “Peeping Through A Hole.” Michael Anthony: I just threw out some names. One of the names I threw out was Slash. I had played with Slash before and I knew that we were compatible as two guitar players. I threw out Michael Anthony’s name. Whatever I am doing, Deen will be part of it. I am used to him. He is a great talent. He is an amazing drummer and an amazing singer. Deen is lead singer material. He is amazing and he actually sounds a lot like Perry!

Jeb: No !

Neal: No . He has a full voice with an incredible range. When I get off tour then I will take a little vacation in Hawaii to kind of clear out my brain and get ready to work again and then I am going right back in the studio with Sam and the guys. We are going to finish this record out and then we are going to go out and play some dates. It is going to be very fun. We are going to play a couple of Van Halen tunes and we will probably play a couple of Journey songs and who knows, Deen might even be singing the Journey tunes.

Jeb: I am going to hit you up for another interview when this all comes about.

Neal: Yeah, when there is more to talk about. That is about all I can tell you because that is all that has gone on right now.

Jeb: I am just glad that it is happening. I think hard rock needs a kick in the and maybe this will get people listening again.

Neal: Believe me, this stuff is kicking hard. Everyone who hears it is just blown away. They are like, “This sounds like Zeppelin and the Beatles and Ozzy Osbourne.” Michael Anthony sings high like Deen and everybody goes, “This kind of sounds like Van Halen.” We have got a lot of cool stuff going on with the four of us. Michael Anthony is really awesome. I have always enjoyed his playing with Van Halen and I also enjoyed his voice. He brought a lot of sound to that band with his back up vocals. They are actually like lead vocals on the hook. When I sat in the room with Deen and him they sounded like a giant locomotive. He is also a very solid bass player.

Jeb: I have put some questions together that kind of highlight your career with Journey. The last time we talked we spoke about when you were with Santana and how you auditioned with Derek & The Dominoes so this time I am wondering how you got involved with Journey?

Neal: The Santana thing was over. Gregg quite and I quit. For about a year after that I was hanging out with Greg Errico the drummer with Sly & The Family Stone and was playing with Larry Graham, the bass player from Sly & The Family Stone. We were going to do a power trio. It sounded very interesting and very cool. At the last minute, Larry actually got cold feet about it. It was something that had not really been done at that point. It actually sounded like Mothers Finest before Mothers Finest came out. He started Graham Central Station. Gregg and I played with him. I was enjoying it because I was learning some new things about guitar playing. I was hanging out over in Oakland and Freddie Stone was giving me rhythm guitar lessons. I was learning how to play funk, which I really didn’t know a lot about. It was all great fun until we played a few shows and it was time for me to take a solo. I would start blowing and people in the audience were starting to get off and Larry would cut me off like, “Four bars is enough.” I was like, “What are you doing? This is live man, let the fly.” He was like, “No, we are not doing that here” so it was pretty much over for me. That was clearly not what I wanted to do. I didn’t want to be confined to a four-measure solo. I was a free man and I didn’t know what I wanted to do. Herbie Herbert approached me about letting him manage me and building a band based around my guitar playing --that was the beginning of Journey.

Jeb: How did you know Herbie?

Neal: He was the guitar tech for Carlos (Santana) and myself when we were in the band together. He had taken on numerous jobs when he was with Santana including mixing out front to stage-managing to managing he band. I felt like he was able to take it on and become my manager. Basically, I believed in him. He hooked me up with George Tickner and Ross Valory. I really wanted to play with Prairie Prince because I had seen him with The Tubes and thought he was amazing. Shortly after the four of us started playing Gregg Rolie was thrown into the picture.

Jeb: Journey did not start out as a pop band at all.

Neal: No, not at all.

Jeb: How long did it take for you guys to get the jamming groove together?

Neal: The jamming groove came together immediately. George Tickner had very cool insights to instrumental music. He had some very unusual chords and tunings that he would use on the guitar that I had never seen before. He wrote a lot of that early material. The beginning was really George’s take on what we were going to do. I was pretty much improvising over the top of it.

Jeb: I have read where you guys were selling a lot more concert tickets than records.

Neal: That is actually very true. It was the type of music that people liked to see live. It was like the Grateful Dead on steroids! It was a rock n roll version of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. I was a big fan of John McLaughlin and Jan Hammer.

Jeb: Was it true that after three albums your record company said, “Get a singer or we are going to drop you.”

Neal: Our records sales decreased with every record we put out even though we were selling more tickets than we ever had live. We were a headliner in about 7-8 different states where we were actually selling out auditoriums. We were selling no records and the record company didn’t care about our live shows! They were going to drop us. Looking at it now, if they had dropped us it would have been no big deal. I have to admit that it was getting very tiresome. We had been on tour, and I mean grueling type touring for five years. I am talking like all of us crammed with our road crew into two station wagons. We upgraded to a Winnebago that would break down every two hundred miles. It took us a long time to get to the place where we got a bus.

Jeb: Steve Perry was not your first singer.

Neal: Actually, Gregg was. The record company felt that we needed a front man. At that point, Robert Fleischman was brought in. We wrote some songs with him. We wrote “Wheel In The Sky” with him and we wrote “Winds Of March.” He is a great songwriter. His melody ideas and his lyrical content are great. It just didn’t gel. It was good but the personalities were clashing then. It didn’t seem like it would last and it didn’t last. Herbie Herbert had brought in a tape from a singer named Steve Perry who I had met before and didn’t even realize it.

Jeb: Infinity was totally different than the other three records you had done. Your label must have wanted to break you because you had a top name producer come in by the name of Roy Thomas Baker.

Neal: We had already done much of the work before Steve Perry came into it. We had done the heavy touring that puts peoples eyes on you. Now we had a voice that was going to be acceptable on the radio. It was all timing. When Greg Rolie left, we had done so much touring with Steve, as well as with the old band, that when he felt that he had enough of touring and wanted to take time off to be with his family it was like a complete set up for Jonathan Cain to come in with his writing talents. That record was just that much bigger. We had momentum that was just building and building.

Jeb: You and Perry wrote some great songs.

Neal: I think there is some valid stuff there.

Jeb: “Feeling That Way” and “Anytime” are two of my favorite Journey songs. Is there any story or inspiration behind them?

Neal: God, you know… I don’t remember much about it. We went into rehearsal and we kicked stuff around and how ever it ended up was how it ended up.

Jeb: I am kind of an old school Journey guy. The 78-83 era of the band was just amazing. I am not going to hide it: I am a Neal Schon fan.

Neal: It’s wild; I guess I never got over the thought of how it changed so radically into pop music. I have to be completely honest; I was never a big fan of pop music. I love the Beatles. I love all of the stuff that was coming out of England like The Who, Hendrix or Cream. I loved early Jeff Beck, late Jeff Beck, any Jeff Beck. I loved Led Zeppelin. That is more what my thing was and what I was attracted to. It was all pretty much blues. I love Albert King and BB King. John Lee Hooker was a friend of mine. I had eaten at his house when I was 13. I played in the studio with him and he asked me to go on tour with him. I was like, “John, I’m 13!” I had really deep blues roots and I had rock blues roots. When I heard the first wave of English blues rock guitarists come out I was blown away. I was totally into that stuff. I also listened to a lot of jazz fusion. Part of me is still true to where I came from. Probably most of me is. I am finding myself going back there further in a lot of new stuff that I am writing. I can’t go into pop anymore. When Journey goes out and plays we have a repertoire of material that we have to play for our fans; that it is enough.

Jeb: When in your opinion did Journey become too pop?

Neal: I think Infinity was a very musical record. There were a lot of different flavors on that record but I thought it was very musical. The same with Departure. I think that every record we made from Infinity on became more pop. Jonathan Cain comes from a pop background and is a great pop writer. With the addition of him when Gregg left, all of a sudden you had “Who’s Crying Now” and you had “Open Arms” and songs like that. They are great songs but they are pop songs. It was harder for me to get used to playing on them. The kicker for me is when most people are asked, “What’s your favorite Neal Schon solo?” And they go, “Who’s Crying Now.” It was the least favorite thing that I think I ever played. You try to evaluate yourself and you go, “Man, I don’t get it?”

Jeb: Sometimes I talk before I think…

Neal: That is especially bad when you are doing interviews (laughter)!

Jeb: No (laughing)! Actually, I feel the same way that you do and I grew up with your music and to be honest with you, by the time you got to Raised On Radio I was like, “This is way to pop for me.”

Neal: I wasn’t even there for that record. Steve and Jonathan had written that whole record with a drum machine. I wasn’t interested in sitting in a room with a drum machine when we had a great band. It was the first record that was ever made like that where they sat in a room with a drum machine instead of going to rehearsal and test driving the while we were writing it. That is why it sounds that way. Some people like it and some people don’t. It is not my favorite record. There is some good stuff on there but there is also stuff that I just don’t care for.

Jeb: I think it is a shame that there are songs from that record that you have to play that prevent you from slipping in some of the older stuff you did. As a music fan I think that isn’t right!

Neal: That is why I look at it as we have to come up with some new stuff and there can’t be any restraints. There can be no governor on the motor! I don’t want to think pop and I don’t want to think radio. We don’t have to worry about pleasing anybody at Sony anymore. We don’t have to worry about getting our songs by them. I want to get creative and lay out what I want to do and see if anybody digs it. If they don’t then it is time to think about what we are going to do if we are going to do anything at all. So far it is really, really cool and we are off to a great start. We are rekindling how musical this band really is. You can only show so much of the musical side of a band in a three and a half minute pop ditty.

Jeb: Most Journey fans think of Escape as your best album.

Neal: I think Frontiers and Escape are our strongest records.

Jeb: Why?

Neal: For Escape: The diversity of the record. For Frontiers: For the experimentation value of the record. Now when I listen to those records I go, “God, why did I put that on there?” We had better stuff that we could have put on but hindsight is really wonderful. When you are looking back it is easier to go, “Well, I should have done this.”

Jeb: How did you come up with that little riff on “Don’t Stop Believing?”

Neal: When I listen to a song I try to get a visual of what the song looks like to me. I just try to be a part of that vision and I try to create something that is not necessarily emulating anybody. I am just trying to be myself in that song. I started thinking that about the lyrics and a midnight train going anywhere. I’m thinking, “What does a train sound like?” (Makes chugging sound) I got this triplet type feel in my head of wheels turning on a track going faster and faster. That was my vision.

Jeb: Which album was more exciting for you to make: Trial By Fire or Arrival?

Neal: Trial By Fire was an exciting record to make because we had not been together for over ten years. It was great to have the old band in the studio actually playing, writing and working together. It was a pretty fun record to make but all of a sudden we had the brakes put on because Steve had a health condition. We couldn’t do anything, which was super frustrating to all of us, not just me but for everybody. The record came out and we were met with a lot of over the top success that none of us were really expecting. We had an #1 single with “When You Love A Woman” and our record entered at #3 on the Billboard Charts. A lot of green was on the table being offered to us to do 25 shows. Steve just said, “I can’t do it” and that was pretty much it; we were kaput. We had all this momentum going for us and after ten years being embraced that way by our audience and not being able to do anything with it…. , I wanted to kill someone!

Jeb: I had actually written here on my notes to ask you, “How angry were you when Steve Perry backed out of the tour” and I think you just told me.

Neal: I was angry but I was more frustrated. I was more frustrated because there was nothing that I could do. There was nothing that any of us could do. I think out of frustration and having just rekindled the band, I was not able to let it go -- even if Steve Perry was not going to be involved. At that point I went up to Jonathan and said, “Let’s just move on. We have nothing to lose is the way I am looking at it. Right now, we don’t have anything.”

Jeb: Was there any reluctance?

Neal: Steve, as you can see on Behind The Music, was very much saying, “Don’t fracture the name Journey.” I am like, “Fracture what? There is nothing there anymore. What are you talking about?” It was like we had nothing. We had something but it was like a big tease. We got together, it was a big tease and now it is gone already. Screw it man. I was getting ready to do my own band when Steve Perry got together with Jonathan Cain and talked to him about doing a record. I think there was clearly other motives at the time he called Jon to do the record. I know that Steve was not happy being on Sony at the time and I think they may have made him an ultimatum. This is my own take on it and I don’t know if there is any truth or validity to it but after thinking about it and seeing what actually came down, I’m entitled to that. This is America! I think that they might have made a proposition to where if he did another record with Journey that they would release him solo wise and from Journey so he could go elsewhere and do wherever he wanted to do. That is exactly what happened. We handed in the record and he was like, “No, I’m not touring. I’m out of here.” I am sure that he had some health issues like we all do. When you get older you have health issues. I think there is a lot of cover up there.

Jeb: That is just bullshit. It is too bad that things had to happen that way. At the same time though, you have moved on. Was Jonathan Cain as excited as you were to move on?

Neal: Everybody was apprehensive. It was a big step to move forward without Steve. He had become the vocal point of all our music. Had we kept a lot of where we started and added vocals to it and done it in a different way like Van Halen or whatever then it would have been much easier to say, “We can do this.” I was ready to make a move one way or another no matter what direction we went in. We knew that we were looking for someone to convey the older material. When we auditioned guys we were looking to see if they could do they older material. I think that where we missed the boat on Arrival is the fact that we were actually being led down a road so to speak from Sony concerning what we could do and what we couldn’t do. They wanted to play it very safe. They wanted the most Journey sound alike material -- just stuff that sounded like our old stuff. I think that if we had been able to be creative and allowed to go where we are now without trying to recreate ourself once again, then it would have been a much better record.

Jeb: I think you are being a little hard on yourself. The first three songs, while they do sound more like Frontiers and Escape era Journey since anything since, are great songs.

Neal: I think that is a good thing but I think we have to make a huge turn here. We don’t want to freak out our fans; we are always going to sound like we sound but I think we can get much more creative with our music. Everything doesn’t have to be girl/boy. We have some really cool things to write about as a lot of things have happened in our world. All you have to do is look around. There are so many things out there that you can tap into that are meaningful.

Jeb: You have to admit that Steve Augeri had to have huge balls to step into Steve Perry’s role and go out on the road!

Neal: Definatly. I would not want to be him! (Laughter) My hat is off to that man.

Jeb: I have a question that I want to ask you gingerly and I hope that you will answer it. What if Steve Perry had wanted to put the band together and you did not want to be in Journey anymore; how would you feel about Journey being out there on the road without Neal Schon?

Neal: It would be completely fine with me. You can’t hang other people up. I have to have consideration for my other band mates. They have families and they have bills to pay. If I didn’t want to do it, I would have to just let go and say, “I wish you guys all the luck in the world.” There are plenty of guitar players out there who can emulate me. There is some cat out there who can do me probably better than I can do myself! I would just have to say, “I can’t do it anymore and I wish you guys the best.”

Jeb: Neal, I want to thank you for meeting with me and talking about all of this. We are going to get a belated review of your solo album up on Classic Rock Revisited in April because you deserve the recognition.

Neal: Thank you.

Jeb: There is a group of us who do a lot of work trying to keep classic rock alive and well. Our name, Classic Rock Revisited is all about revisiting the past but at the same time we mean that we have to revisit the musicians of the past because many are still making great music in the present. We are just thrilled the way you work with us. I will stop kissing your here in a minute but I am big fan of your music and I want to make sure we have covered everything that you wanted to cover. Is there anything else you want to talk about?

Neal: That is pretty much it. I told you about the new stuff that we are working on with Journey. What is going to be cool is that even though we are playing a lot of secondary markets -- we are trying to stay out of the primary markets until we have a full CD out-- We are going to come onstage to something that is brand new. It is a lengthy piece that is about ten minutes long. People are going to be getting a taste of the brand new stuff and the new directions that we are going this year.

Jeb: The first song when you come onstage is going to be a brand new ten-minute jam? That is ballsy!

Neal: It is pretty happening too. We just finished recording it a couple of days ago and Steve just finished putting his vocals on it and it is sounding pretty cool.

Jeb: Are you going to sell your mini EP online or just at the show?

Neal: I think we are just going to sell it at the show.

Jeb: If you want it then come get it huh?

Neal: I love what Anne DeFranco has done with her music and her career. She sells all her music at her shows and she sells it online. I think with the whole Napster fiasco and everything else that is out there right now, I just want to sell the stuff at our shows. Eventually, we will take the three songs and add seven more and have a ten songs record. The record is only going to have ten songs on it. We are not going to go and squeeze every frickin’ song on it that we wrote. I think that is one of the things that killed Arrival for me was that it had too many songs. The new one will have ten great songs and not too many ballads. Two ballads and three at the most but the rest of it has to be up-tempo stuff.

[ March 25, 2002 at 04:09 AM: Message edited by: FanHalen ]</p>
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 07:39 PM
    Liked 811 Times in 559 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by FanHalen:

...You know, people would hear an EP from Van Halen before the record came out. It would be three songs and it would help get the buzz out about something new that you are doing...

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 11:03 AM
    Liked 850 Times in 525 Posts

Thanks for posting the interview. Neal Schon is a great guitar player and I'm glad he was able to clear up a few things about Journey and Steve Perry.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Sensible Shoes
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 652 Times in 458 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Raldo:
    Thanks for posting the interview. Neal Schon is a great guitar player and I'm glad he was able to clear up a few things about Journey and Steve Perry.
    Yeah, I hope FORD read it. Probably wouldn't do any good though.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"