Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

04.12.16 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

This topic is inspired by some of the posts in the "Me Wise Young 'Un" thread in Opinions.

Anyway, I can't really complain. My parents were very young (19-20) when I was born, so at least they weren't listening to Lawrence Welk when I was a kid. Some of the stuff I remember hearing around the house when I was growing up:

Beatles, Rolling Stones, Warren Zevon, Zeppelin, Lynard Skynard, Heart, Allman Brothers, Eagles, early ZZ Top, Bonnie Raitt, Wings, BB King.

I didn't like all of it, but it could've been MUCH, MUCH worse. My dad is a guitar player, and while he was never really into hard rock, I distinctly remember him making a comment about Eddie Van Halen being a talented kid. This was around '79, so I was 9 years old and barely knew who Van Halen was. I think I was aware that they did "Dance the Night Away", though.

At any rate, some of you must have some horror stories--let's hear 'em!

[This message has been edited by Bassman (edited May 08, 2000 at 11:34 AM).]

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

It depended on who I was with - my parents were young and listened to mainstream rock and pop - so it was everything from "Green Eyed Lady", "Draggin' The Line", BTO, Isaac Hayes (Shaft - can you dig it?) to the Doors "Touch Me", to the Carpenters; whatever was on the radio...

Now with my grandparents it was a different story; Andy Williams, BJ Thomas, Perry Como, all that mellow crooner stuff...

The first time I ever heard a Black Sabbath song as a teenager I felt like I had heard it before but couldn't quite place when or where - sort of a musical "deja vu"... I'm sure that someone played their first album in my presence when I was very young (I was 4 when Sabbath came out).

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was exposed mostly to pop music from the 60s and 70s, some country like Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Randy Travis, etc, and then a LOT of soft rock from the 80s.

I got my rock introduction from my brother, who is four years older than I am.

------------------
    "That's How it Is When You Tell the Truth"
    Up Front Fanatic

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Kenny Rogers, John Denver, Nana Miskouri(sp?). There's actually one John Denver song that for the life of me I can't remember the name of. But when I used to hear it as a child it would really take me away to a different place. Wish I could remember the name. Maybe I'll see if I can find it on Amazon and re-live my youth.

Balance
    When I was 12 and 13, my dad worked and lived three hours away. we were planning on moving up there but in the meantime drove 3 hours both ways every weekend. My mom always played Billy Joel tapes. I wasn't in to music yet, so I allowed the stuff to grow on me, and now I own every cd the dude has released. He also led to me enjoying heavier stuff too.

Kinda sucked though. I was in middle school at the time and it wasn't cool to like the same music as your parents. But, like now, I didn't give a shit what anybody else thought.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anything and everything!! From Flatt and Scruggs to Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Beatles, you name it. My parents never force fed my any one style of music, and they never told me what records I could buy. Very cool.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!!!

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!"...David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The Beatles,
    Motown,
    Big Band,
    and TONS of Christmas Music!

as i grew up, i developed my own taste by getting into Kiss, Billy Joel, and then Van Halen & U2. there's a ton of other music i like, but the core of it i settled on when i was pretty\ young.
    thanks, Mom!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,343 Times in 921 Posts

I heard all kinds of stuff - Elvis at my Aunt's, my Mom had Herb Alpert and Bobby Vinton, my Dad and his wife were into country plus I grew up listening to what was top 40 stuff back then. I liked some of the early disco but a it started becoming real repetitive and b Boston's first album and "Frampton Comes Alive" started steering me down a different path.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My parents belonged to a record club, so they never had to pick out anything. The club would just send them the top selling albums. Thank god for me that included Led Zeppelin, Santana, Stones, and Steppenwolf.

The problem is they didn't like that good stuff, so they bought John Denver, Bread, America and all that hippy shit. That's the stuff they played over and over.

Carpenters
    Pearcy Faith Stings do The Beatles
    Captain and Teneil
    Cristopher Cross
    Dan Fogelberg
    etc.

------------------
    RLRR LRLL

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Phil Collins, Bruce Hornsby, The Beatles, Eagles, Boston ("More Than A Feeling" is a great song!!), Yes, Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Elton John......

------------------
    Tim

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lets see...The Beatles, Juice Newton, old sixties rock and surf music (The Yardbirds, Cream, Mothers of Invention *I love them*, The Ventures, etc...) and some folk. My folks listened to nearly everything.

------------------
    "I feel like a shining example, but I'm not sure what of." - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

Ed6150
    my parents listened to everything . from michael jackson to elton john . but what i remember the most was the gap band . you dropped the bomb on me .

SwollenPrincess
    We heard a lot of stuff but one that got a lot of play by my dad was 1984. He bought it the week it came out. Motown,The Beatles The Stones Clapton a lot of classic material!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

My dad always listened to the Who, the Dead, and Little Feat. He was also a big Bruce Springsteen fan.

As for the music *I* listened to as a kid...it's a bit embarrassing....When I was in first grade the New Kids On The Block appeared and of course I loved them all through third grade...after that I was a big fan of Paula Abdul, Mariah Carey, Amy Grant and Whitney Houston...then we moved in 5th grade and all the other kids were into country, so I became a big fan of Mary Chapin Carpenter (She is awesome, I went to see her live in 8th grade) and when I got into high school I discovered rock and Van Halen, and have never been quite the same since.

------------------
    http://www.vhvault.com/1989

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

I was pretty lucky.

My parents have a great record collection, and i have always loved to play there old records. Stuff like The Beatles,Elvis,The Eagles,Jim Croce,Meatloaf,Jan and Dean..the stuff from the 60's and 70's.
    My Grandmother used to listen to Frank Sinatra alot, and I love Frank, one cool mutherfucker!

------------------
    UP FRONT FANATICS

I never met a man does'nt owe somebody somethin

Two tears in a bucket, if you ain't down with that we've got two words for ya...SUCK IT!