Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

To everyone: Found this at another site and thought I would spread the word.

Please take the time to read all of this closely. It's for the benefit of us all. In less than a year online file sharing could be COMPLETELY GONE because of the RIAA. So PLEASE take 5 minutes off and read through all this.

For a list of the companies to boycott the month of August go to Boycott List

You will notice Meta lBlade is on it too. lol

To All Music Lovers,

We desperately need your support. The RIAA (Recording Industry
    Association of America) is on the rampage again. Not content
    with "cold shouldering" new artists, they are now also trying to
    shut down all music sharing programs.The riaa recently issued a
    lawsuit against AudioGalaxy and other P2P firms. They plan to
    control what music we hear, the artists/bands we hear, when we
    hear, where we hear, they plan to have taxes added onto
    purchases of CDs and CD-Rs, and even plan to hack our computers
    (ref www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,47552,00.html), all for
    the benefit of themselves alone.

For some time the riaa has reveled in wielding it's power over
    the entire music industry. It has only ever promoted and
    supported music artists who are members of it's "exclusive old
    boys' club." It has ruthlessly grabbed and now holds control of
    80% of the world's record sales and all of the American radio
    stations ... but maybe it's time for a change?

Many of us are fed up with record companies dictating to us
    about what music we get to hear, how much money we will pay them
    for that music, and what we can do with that music once we
    actually own it.

People who use music-sharing programs (or P2P) are NOT the
    thieves that the riaa claimed in its lawsuit. P2P is simply a
    huge audition room consisting of music lovers who dedicate time
    to listen to music sounds, discuss them, then decide if the
    sound is marketable. We?re sound auditioners. AudioGalaxy, with
    50+ million members, is also the largest *free* market test
    facility in the world.

We listen to sounds created by myriad different artists and if
    we like it ? WE PURCHASE IT AND RECOMMEND IT TO OTHERS. Nothing
    against the following artists, but not everybody wants to listen
    to Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys or the Top 50 repeated ad
    nauseum every time we listen to the radio (also controlled by
    the riaa). Music sharing programs allow us easy access to a wide
    range of musical styles, AND THEREFORE RESULTS IN A WIDER RANGE
    OF MUSIC BEING PURCHASED. The RIAA would like to try and tell
    you that the music industry suffers because of these programs ?
    when in fact the opposite is closer to the truth. We listen to
    material and IF WE LIKE IT ? WE GO OUT AND BUY IT.

P2P such as AudioGalaxy facilitates free, fast, easy access to
    the entire rainbow of musical sounds from old to new and
    everything in between. Studies have proved that because of P2P
    a wider range of music is being purchased than is *authorized*
    by the riaa. When Napster (one of the original music sharing
    programs) was at its peak with 30 million members, market
    studies showed record-high purchases of music CDs. Even though
    the court ruled against the riaa Napster was destroyed through
    riaa?s ?expensive lawsuits? tactics. Now riaa is doing the same
    thing to the other P2P companies.

The riaa would like you to believe that the music industry
    suffers because of these programs ? when in fact the actual
    truth is that purchases of music that is not authorized by the
    riaa means riaa doesn?t get money on those purchases.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SactoFan:
    Sorry, but "file sharing" doesn't have fair use protection...I can dl entire albums for free because of file software. Dress it up any way you want, but that's not fair use and the free file share programs will probably be gone quite soon...

Secondly, it's really moronic for anyone to try and paint this as some sort of "the man is keeping us down" scenario...McDonald's locks their dumpster during business so people don't declare their refuse worthy of "sustenance sharing..." If I want Bruce's new music, I should pay for it and Bruce has every right to payment for his tunes...
    [/QUOTE

Great Post.

I snag stuff off the net all the time. I know its not right. I am not just sampling stuff to see if I like it.......I am downloading it becuase I don't want to spend the cash to get what I want.

Every once in a while, I'll hear about an artist......(band Puya uses 5150's so I snagged two tunes) download a few tunes........give em a listen........and most of the time......delete it off my hard drive if it sucks.(Puya sucks) I call this "Research Downloading" and I would say that's only about 5% of my downloading time.

The other 95% of my downloading is knowingly ripping off someone in the record business.

It's something I am not proud of......but because no one's stopping me and the fact that a cable modem has made downloading tunes that are 10+megs in size, only about a 1-7 minute thing......it's just to good to pass up.

The day will come will it end.......and that's fine.....I'll just snag as much as I can 'til then.

It's nice to "sugar coat" or "put a spin" on something.........but all of us know what the truth is......... [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Couple of things worth mentioning:

First, CD's are way overpriced. You can buy a CD for $17.99 and get an hour's worth of music, or buy a DVD for $21.99 and get two hours of video. Now, I'm not saying it's right, but CDs are way overpriced.

Second, from what I hear, artists generally don't make that much from a CD sale. All the money goes to the record company, the RIAA, whatever. The artist makes their money off the tour. I haven't found anything to validate this, so I'm still looking. If it's true, then you aren't ripping off the 'millionaire' artist like you think you are.

I don't download music like I used to. However, I don't buy CDs either. If I'm gonna spend $20 on something, I'll buy a DVD, I get more for my money that way.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by xaminer:
    Second, from what I hear, artists generally don't make that much from a CD sale. All the money goes to the record company, the RIAA, whatever. The artist makes their money off the tour. I haven't found anything to validate this, so I'm still looking. If it's true, then you aren't ripping off the 'millionaire' artist like you think you are.
    right. the record company is busy ripping off the artists, and they don't like competition...

tours do make money, but not right away. even the Stones don't break even until about halfway through the tour. merchandising is where the money's at. they say the average pop concert audience member spends $75-$125 on merchandise. t-shirts are cheap to make, easy to jack up the price on. for the tour itself, figure in sound and light equipment rental, plus the crews to run them, transportation for band and crew, insurance, the promoter's cut...you've gotta be on the road for a year to cover it. and if the record company advances the money for the tour, they get paid back first before you see Dime One.

i've seen this in a music biz book i have:"Depending on how badly the label wants to sign the artist, the royalty offer will be in the range of 10 percent of record sales based on the retail price. Major stars have been known to get 18 to 19 percent at retail. Sometimes a label will try to hold the initial royalty below 10 percent, then index increments in the rate as record sales rise. For example, the artist might recieve 9 percent on the first 100,000 sales, perhaps 10 percent on the next 100,000, then something like 12 percent if the record goes gold." how many of the schlumps on MTV and VH1 are getting more than 10 percent? maybe 10 percent of them...and what does the label consider retail price? $17.99? so there's $2 for you, and how much profit for the label after everything is factored in. once the labels figured out it would be cheaper if they had their own CD plants, they quit farming the manufacturing out, and pocketed the difference...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Sorry, but "file sharing" doesn't have fair use protection...I can dl entire albums for free because of file software. Dress it up any way you want, but that's not fair use and the free file share programs will probably be gone quite soon...

Secondly, it's really moronic for anyone to try and paint this as some sort of "the man is keeping us down" scenario...McDonald's locks their dumpster during business so people don't declare their refuse worthy of "sustenance sharing..." If I want Bruce's new music, I should pay for it and Bruce has every right to payment for his tunes...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Yep. Record companies blow. However I use filesharing for an audition. In fact I wasn't a steady King's X fan until I started downloading some songs I hadn't heard. After that I went and bought every CD of theirs I didn't have. That added up to 5 CD's. If I like it enough to listen to it repeatedly, I go buy it. Just because assholes abuse it doesn't mean it should be illegal. I downloaded the new Rush album because I heard it was a return to the old school Rush. BULLSHIT! I listened to it twice and threw it in the round file. If they can't bring the price down on a CD and I can't return it because it sucks, I don't want to purchase shit I don't want. Besides even if you are getting the music free, the t-shirts and concert tickets make up for it. That's money they would probably never have seen if some people didn't download their music to see if they like it....

Plus a lot of bands use filesharing to get their names out there. It's a lot cheaper than giving out free CD's. If you really feel ass holish for downloading music and not paying for it, send $3.00 to the band. That is at least double the amount they would have seen if you went and bought it at a CD store.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

P.S. A few years ago it was a huge deal when Michael Jackson was getting (I believe) $3.00 per record sale but it may be less. Metallica has the highest rate at a whopping $7.00 per album. On the other hand, the Goo Goo Dolls were getting a whopping .30 cents per album. Altugh they had a huge selling record, they still ended up being in major debt. I hear the same thing happened to Extreme.

Eminem's album was moved up a week for the sole reason that it was already available online. His album is still in the top five as we speak. Filesharing has totally ruined his income.....

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by ETRIGAN:
    Eminem's album was moved up a week for the sole reason that it was already available online. His album is still in the top five as we speak. Filesharing has totally ruined his income.....
    That doesn't make a difference...

The only thing that really bothers me about this napster business is that some morons, not you ETRIGAN, try to make the ludicrous case that because Bono is a millionaire, the "fans" deserve U2 music for free...Uh, no...

I think what Metallica did was extreme and bad PR, but that doesn't mean they weren't right...Hey, I love my job, but I ain't teaching your kids math for free just because I'm good at it...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Maybe with the power of the internet, it's time to find a way to bypass the heartless record companies and do a shreware type of deal. It may not be easy but Stephenn King did it with one of his books. I would gladly send a band a few bucks and get a high quality download directly from a bands website. They would see more money while I wouldn't have to shell out a huge amount of ca$h for a CD.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by ETRIGAN:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Maybe with the power of the internet, it's time to find a way to bypass the heartless record companies and do a shreware type of deal. It may not be easy but Stephenn King did it with one of his books. I would gladly send a band a few bucks and get a high quality download directly from a bands website. They would see more money while I wouldn't have to shell out a huge amount of ca$h for a CD.
    It will never happen without major distribution...Profit margin could certainly be higher, as Prince claimed when he released Crystal Ball via Internet...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Now, if artists themselves mp3 all their tunes and you have to purchase a site membership and all...that could be viable...Although, what record label is going to go for that?

Back in the day, I worked at a Wherehouse record joint...Had a machine where you paid per song and we made you a mix tape while you waited...That company didn't last long...I wish I could remember the name!!

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

don't get me started on Prince's retail business...i ordered Crystal Ball, via the Net, and i found it at Best Buy the next day. never got the one i ordered from the site...his fansites are full of horror stories about his online sales. i learned not to trust them with any orders, countless others keep sending them money and get nothing in return...

i don't remember the name of that in-store mixtape thing, either...i figured it wouldn't last long.

i like the way the RIAA hasn't addressed people borrowing friends' CD's and burning copies, they point the big guns at the filesharing...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

CDs are way overpriced, but no one holds a gun to your head and makes you buy them. You can always buy used. And most CD sellers (CDNow, Amazon) do let you sample parts of the song. And a lot of record stores have headphones where you can just scan the bar code on the CD and listen to any song with good quality. A CD available at store A for 17 bucks is probably available elsewhere for 12-23 bucks. Shop around, you can find reduced prices. I'm not saying I don't even download music, but I am also not trying to change the record industry!
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

there is already software being developed that will make it impossible for music/movie bigwigs to shut it down.

Napster was easy because the dude had an office and what-not

but the new software coming out will not be on some 13 year old's hard drive at home, it will operate beyond 1 person's server.

the industry can complain all the want, but the glorified tape recorder is here to stay and there are plenty of computer techs out there that will solve the problem just to spite the industry
    Eat Us and Smile!