Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Axl Rose might own the legal right to use the Guns N' Roses name, but with four ex-Gunners regrouping, the question arises: Will the real Guns N' Roses please stand up?

Slash, Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin and Matt Sorum are forming a band together, and all they need now is — surprise, surprise — the perfect singer.

"This is all very ironic timing, because it's been six or seven years since we all quit Guns," Slash said, "and we just started doing this in the last six months, and all of a sudden, Axl's got his Guns out right now, so it's almost comical."

Despite the bad blood, Slash said they weren't looking to create a rival project to Guns N' Roses, nor were they even looking, at least at first, to form a band. "There's just a certain chemistry we have," he said. "None of us were planning on getting together. None of us knew it was going to happen. But when we get together, there's a certain kind of click we have."

Slash, McKagan and Sorum — who played lead guitar, bass and drums for GN'R, respectively — first found that "click" again when they played a Los Angeles benefit for the family of drummer Randy Castillo last spring, following his death . With Buckcherry's Josh Todd and Keith Nelson aboard, the group was jokingly referred to as both Buck N' Guns and Cherry Roses.

"The five of us played this gig," Slash recalled, "and it was just insane. It was just really powerful, and Steven Tyler got up with us, and it was just an amazing night. And so we all talked about it, the chemistry, and how that was the first time we had all played together, really played together, since Guns broke up. And so we started writing songs."

Todd and Nelson dropped out of the venture, but the group — still without a proper name — soon attracted rhythm guitarist David Kushner, as well as Stradlin. "Izzy showed up, all of a sudden," Slash said, "and so we wrote a whole bunch of songs with Izzy. Izzy's sort of in and out. He's not what you would call a permanent fixture in this thing, but we've just been writing a lot of really great songs with him. And we just decided to go the full nine yards."

It's not the first time that former GN'R mates have joined forces since leaving the group — McKagan played bass on previous Stradlin solo albums , Slash has jammed over the years with Stradlin (see "Slash: Making His Mark Without Guns") and all three worked together earlier this year on Izzy's most recent solo album (see "Slash, Duff & Izzy Reunite: Three Out Of Five Ain't Bad"), their first time playing together since the Use Your Illusion albums in 1991, when the enigmatic rhythm guitarist left GN'R.

The focus for the band right now is finding its voice. For the past four months, the group has been soliciting material to find someone who could not only take over mic duties, but also contribute to the songwriting process. Slash estimated that they've heard about 500 singers, some of whom they've given instrumental material to put vocals on, and if that has passed muster, they've been invited to jam in the studio. Neurotica's Kelly Shaefer, Psychotica's Pat Briggs and Lit's A. Jay Popoff have all auditioned. The short list now includes some six to seven top candidates, none of whom Slash was willing to identify just yet.

"This is f---ing poor man's 'American Idol,' " he laughed. "I'll know it when I hear it. Right off the bat, I'll know. We're just trying to find a really great f---ing rock and roll singer, and it's really hard to find anybody that you'd consider genuine, and it's also somebody who's got to fit in with us. It's not impossible, but it's not easy. It could be somebody known, or somebody unknown, who's just a star and doesn't know it."

Female contenders aren't being ruled out, either, Slash added. "If we got a girl that sounded like Janis Joplin crossed with Joan Jett with a bit of Tina Turner, that would be rocking," he said. "That would be an unprecedented move, because no one would expect that. But just not that many girls have actually applied."

What about Courtney Love, who's got the rock wail down, and might also be looking for a gig?

"It's funny, we were joking about that yesterday," Slash said, "but I just don't see her being into it, all things considered. But you know what? We haven't exhausted that idea, let's put it that way."

So which of the two Guns bands — Axl's version or Slash/ Duff/ Izzy/ Matt's grouping — will be the one to revitalize the GN'R repertoire?

"There's some [old Guns] material we would play, a couple of songs that are really indicative of the real hard rock side of what Guns N' Roses was," Slash said. "But it's in no way, shape or form a Guns reunion, or supposed to be labeled as the original Guns back together to rehash Guns material. We've written up to 60 songs at this point, and we're not really concerned about old sh--."

But for the fun of it, he said, they'd whip out songs such as "Paradise City," "Mr. Brownstone," "It's So Easy" and "Nightrain." "I don't think I'd ever go near 'Welcome to the Jungle' or sh-- like that because it's too Guns N' Roses," he said, "signature material that I think is better left off to Axl to do."

As for the Guns tour kickoff that became a riot instead, Slash said it didn't surprise him. "Nothing surprises me," Slash said. "When he really has all his sh-- together, Axl is brilliant, so it'll be happening. It just takes him a while to get around to it. As far as showing up to gigs? That's all par for the course. We've all seen that movie. What better way to kick off a Guns N' Roses tour than to miss the first gig?"

For the time being, the new songs — and their new voice — are more on Slash's mind. "It's time for another really good rock and roll band," he said. "And we have the perfect canvas to do it on, and we're not going to stop until we get it done. That sounds very valiant, doesn't it?"

Singers can send tapes to Slash, 13636 Ventura Blvd., Suite 434, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423.

—Jennifer Vineyard

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Man, I can hardly wait! This will be awesome [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good God I hope they don't get CL in to sing for them. [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Talk about scrapiong the bottom of the barrel.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I heard they were trying to decide between
    Dave and Sammy - or maybe both.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 11,605 Times in 4,948 Posts

Ugh please don't get Courtney Hole Slash, please!! For the love of god no!

Anyways I hope this thing comes together I would be excited to hear this stuff.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like a killer project with some definite potential... IF they leave out Cuntney, that is.

No way in Hell they'd let that disgusting, talentless, gutter-slut hack fuck up all that positive energy.

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by SirBrownSound:
    Sounds like a killer project with some definite potential... IF they leave out Cuntney, that is.

No way in Hell they'd let that disgusting, talentless, gutter-slut hack fuck up all that positive energy.

SBS
    But would you fuck her? I would

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SirBrownSound:

SBS
    But would you fuck her? I would </font>[/QUOTE][img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

You'd actually hit that skank?!

Bro, you're a braver man than I!

Wear an asbestos rubber...

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If Courtney Love gets the gig, they might as well hire Ray Danniels as their manager. [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

I can't believe that Josh and Keith from Buckcherry didn't want to become part of that band. It would have been absolutely KILLER!! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

I've heard Sabastian Bach is being considered also. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Fast Eddie

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 908 Posts

Call up Dave if they want that rock and roll attitude.

Seb Bach wouldn't be a bad choice since he likes to rock out as well.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

[quote]Originally posted by SirBrownSound:
    You'd actually hit that skank?!

Bro, you're a braver man than I!

Wear an asbestos rubber...

SBS
    Shit, man... I hose her down first with some disinfectant [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ November 19, 2002, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

They should name the band SKANK!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I dunno guys... Chick in a prom dress playing guitar... Hard to say "no" until after the peter falls off [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can\'t This Be Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sebastian Bach would be awesome but he's booked up doing the 'Jesus Christ Superstar' musical for most of the next year. I'd love to see the GNR band with Baz though.

Edit:

He's not that old either, only 34, so he's got something going for him.

[ November 23, 2002, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: 5150guy ]
    Right now, rock n' roll needs a swift kick in the...<br /><br />"Gimme a bottle o' anything... and a glazed donut... to go!"

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My first choice for DLR would be for him to reunite with Van Halen. But since I don't think that will happen, I would much rather see Dave with this band than him going solo again. Remember how Tommy Lee was supposedly trying to create a band in 1996 with Slash and DLR?

In reality, I think the former members of GnR will probably go with a younger singer - they're probably hoping the guy from Buckcherry changes his mind. I would take that combination over Axl's current band any day.
    "Running the ball is like making romance..."