Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Paul McCartney has sparked another Beatles feud with the release of his live album, Back in the U.S.. Against the wishes of John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, the nineteen Beatles songs included on the two-disc set are credited to "Paul McCartney and John Lennon" rather than the traditional "Lennon/McCartney."
    "What he did was absolutely inappropriate," says Ono's lawyer, Peter Shukat. "John and Paul had an agreement. This is very petty." Adds Ono, "John and Paul often disagreed on which songs were written by whom. If John was here now, they could fight it out, or maybe they could never agree. But the important point is that John has to be here. He is not."

Ono says Lennon and McCartney decided to credit all of their Beatles music to Lennon/McCartney almost forty years ago. McCartney disputes that claim. He would not comment for this story, but his spokesman, Geoff Baker, says that the two Beatles "had agreed in the Sixties that they could switch the names whenever they felt like it." (McCartney first made this claim in the Beatles' Anthology book, published in 2000, twenty years after Lennon's death.)

McCartney's contract with Capitol gives him control over the wording of the credits on his solo albums. In fact, five Beatles songs on his 1976 Wings Over America live album are credited to McCartney/Lennon. But for releases on the Beatle's Apple label, the surviving band members or their estates would have to unanimously approve any change to the credits.

This is precisely why the battle over who wrote what heated up in 1996, when the CD booklet for the Anthology 3 album was being written. McCartney's lawyer and brother-in-law, John Eastman, demanded that eighteen songs -- including "Blackbird," "Get Back" and "Hey Jude" -- be credited solely to McCartney, with Lennon's name omitted entirely. But George Harrison, Ringo Starr and Ono unanimously refused McCartney's bid, and Eastman later wrote a letter apologizing for his "zeal" and claiming he had acted "without Paul McCartney's instructions."

Writer David Sheff, who conducted a 1980 Q&A with Lennon for Playboy magazine, says the battle over authorship amounts to more than a spat between McCartney and Yoko. "Paul is rewriting history," says Sheff, who spoke with Lennon at length about how each Beatles song was written, including "Eleanor Rigby." Says Sheff, "There's something about 'Lennon/McCartney' that means more than just whose name comes first. For Beatles fans, this switch dishonors something that is cherished by so many people."

In an interview with Rolling Stone last year, McCartney revealed that the real sore spot may have been a decades-old bruise to his ego. "The minute John died, there started to be a revisionism," he said. "There were strange quotes, like, 'John was the only one in the Beatles.' Or 'Paul booked the studio.' Like John was the real genius, and I was just the guy who sang 'Yesterday.'"

Ono says that McCartney might be doing his own legacy more harm than good by trying to take credit for these nineteen songs. "If those songs are credited to McCartney/Lennon, and the rest of the 200 or so are credited to Lennon/McCartney, people may think that Paul wrote those songs and John wrote the rest," she says. "When the suggestion was first made by Paul, I said, 'This is like opening a Pandora's box, Paul. Don't do it.' I still stand by that statement."

JENNY ELISCU
    (December 5, 2002)

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Typical...
    "Existence is meaningless and life is absurd, so wipe that smile off your face."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Man, whatever happened to people writing music for the pure enjoyment of writing? McCartney is a dick, but so is Yoko [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I can understand both sides of the situation. As a songwriter I personally want credit for my work. When my band released it's first CD they wanted the credit to read "Songs by Liquid Earth" and I was more in favor of spelling out who wrote each one (mostly me).

I think what Paul wants is the majority credit on the songs he wrote almost completely by himself. I don't see a problem with it but by now I think that most of the world knows who's songs are who's in the Beatles.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sounds like Paul's getting tired of sending checks to Yoko for John's share of the publishing. Paul doesn't need the money, so it's obviously an ego thing. John always was the cool one
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Crazy from the Hemp:
    Sounds like Paul's getting tired of sending checks to Yoko for John's share of the publishing. Paul doesn't need the money, so it's obviously an ego thing. John always was the cool one
    Like John wouldn't do the SAME thing if he were alive and the situation was reversed???? PLEASE. Don't be so naive. John could be just as biting as Paul. What you think cause John is dead he's an angel & Paul's the jerk?
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What you think cause John is dead he's an angel & Paul's the jerk?
    Paul is short changed when it comes to the Beatles legacy but it's mainly his own doing. If he could keep from writing such sentimental dribble that is 90% of his post Beatles out put he'd be better regarded. Part of it is the "dead" thing too. When George died I feel his "greatness" quotent went up in the eyes of the public. Don't ask me what it is but it's true. If Paul had writen half way decent tunes/lyrics and had died in John's sted I think we'd have a vastly different perception of him.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Many Years From Now is a great book, but Paul comes off like a total idiot when he's constantly spelling out the percentages of who wrote what; "that song was 60% me and 40% John" blah blah blah.

Paul needs to come to grips with the fact that John's death elevated him to sainthood. He didn't belong there, but it is what it is. Paul's insistence on always flogging his resume is annoying. Paul, buddy, we know you're a musical genius, we know you were as important to the Beatles as John was. Take a fiver out of your billion dollar bank account and buy yourself a big glass of RE-FUCKING-LAX!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

What we have here is a case of the lesser of two evils. I am not all that sure about Paul although he sounds pretty arrogant for the most part, he is also a genuis (even though he seems all to willing to share that fact).

Yoko, on the other hand is a raving bitch IMO, she has zero musical talent and obvously used John's name to even get the opportunity to record that shit that sounds like a fucking dog stuck in a barbed wire fence. She also made it her plight in life to fuck Julian (sp?) over in every way possible and robbed him of anytihng that he could've ever rightfully gained from being John's son. So I have about the same amount of respect for her as I do a steamy turd.

Yoko aside, I believe Julian is an incredible talent that can't get a break simply because he has to follow in his fathers foot steps, a terminal sentence and very unfortunate.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    McCartney scheduled a concert here - 1 show only, and only allowed a 6 week ticket sales period. and suffice to say he wanted some big bucks to go to the show. rumors were it was selling slow - too expensive, and people didnt have time to work out travel etc if they were coming in from sydney or brisbane places other than Melbourne.

Anyways, after that terrorist bomb went off in Bali, Mc Cartney cancells the show 'out of respect for the victims'

WTF? Didn't he ORGANISE the NYC concert, perform and ever write a SONG bout it?

My estimation of mcCartney went down a fair bit after that. lotta people are outta pocket over this as they booked plane tickets, and hotels as they had to come interstate to see it. McCartney took over a million bucks from the victorian government to make it an 'exclusive'

I dunno. Its a bit off topic. but the guys dickliness seems to grow with age.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Goo:
    dickliness
    LOL dude I have now added that word to my library [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by BrokenCombs:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Crazy from the Hemp:
    Like John wouldn't do the SAME thing if he were alive and the situation was reversed???? PLEASE. Don't be so naive. John could be just as biting as Paul. What you think cause John is dead he's an angel & Paul's the jerk?</font>[/QUOTE]No, based on his actions, it's pretty easy to see that, at best, Paul is acting like a revisionist, and at worst, a greedy, insecure, wanker. What a raised-from-the-dead John Lennon would do has no
    bearing on actual reality. Two wrongs don't make a right, even in hypothetical situations that strain the limits of reason.

Paul's actions speak for themselves.

If we want to waste our time considering hypothetical scenarios, do you think Paulie would feel the need to do this if he could've actually written any sort of decent material since 1973? It's been a long time since 'Band on the Run' for Mr. Genius.
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Favorite VH Album

VH1, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Top of the World
    Last Online

01.30.07 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh whatever, let the guy have his moment to shine. Everyone knows who mainly wrote what anyways.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I don't get what the big deal is - he did the same thing with the songs on Wings Over America and I don't remember hearing too much of a stink about that. It's not as if he dropped Lennon's name from the credit entirely, so who cares whose name is listed first? It's Paul's frickin' album, for crying out loud.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by billy007:
    I don't get what the big deal is - he did the same thing with the songs on Wings Over America and I don't remember hearing too much of a stink about that. It's not as if he dropped Lennon's name from the credit entirely, so who cares whose name is listed first? It's Paul's frickin' album, for crying out loud.
    &lt;This is precisely why the battle over who wrote what heated up in 1996, when the CD booklet for the Anthology 3 album was being written. McCartney's lawyer and brother-in-law, John Eastman, demanded that eighteen songs -- including "Blackbird," "Get Back" and "Hey Jude" -- be credited solely to McCartney, with Lennon's name omitted entirely. But George Harrison, Ringo Starr and Ono unanimously refused McCartney's bid, and Eastman later wrote a letter apologizing for his "zeal" and claiming he had acted "without Paul McCartney's instructions.&gt;

Whether it was Paul or someone else, the attempt was made to get a bigger piece of the royalties and remove John's name from the publishing credits. There's a concept a few people seem to be unfamiliar with in this thread, it's called respect for the dead. When John was alive, he and Paul had an agreement that their joint compositions would be represented in publication as Lennon/McCartney. It was alphabetical, it was agreed upon by both of them, and it served both parties well. Now John's dead, George is dead, and Paul's trying to steal more of the credit (and possibly more of the money). It's scummy, it's petty, and it does a disservice to the memory of his writing partner. So what if John's been lionized since Paul died and the poor bloke's feeling insecure. He's a knight, he's rich, and he's ALIVE. That's more than John can say.