Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

KING'S X Announce Headlining Tour - Dec. 13, 2002

KING'S X have announced the initial dates for their "More Manic" headlining tour in February/March. They are as follows:

Feb. 06 - Virginia Beach, VA @ Hoopla's Bar & Grill
    Feb. 07 - Springfield, VA @ Jaxx
    Feb. 08 - Asbury Park, NJ @ The Stone Pony
    Feb. 11 - New London, CT @ El-N-Gee Club
    Feb. 27 - San Francisco, CA @ The Pound Sf
    Feb. 28 - Santa Ana, CA @ The Galaxy Theatre
    Mar. 01 - Las Vegas, NV @ The Huntridge Theatre
    Mar. 04 - Phoenix, AZ @ The Mason Jar

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.07.08 @ 02:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just saw them on Thursday at Alley Cats in Richmond. I secured a place right up at the front row center. What an awesome show for such a small club. Doug is so funny...he stepped away from the mic and kind of looked at me and shrugged his shoulders and laughed when he saw he laughing at him. I was just laughing at some funny facial expression or movement and he saw me. Very funny!! Ty made a joke about how he like being on stage next to the bathrooms where every time the door opened he could see someone doing their thing. Jerry was incredible and has a very spasmatic style of playing drums...my instrument!! His style is easy to understand...he is keeping on top of the beat and is ready for anything. Anyone who has seen him play know what I am talking about...that jerky movement. By the way, Jerry can play guitar well...they all switched instruments and played a little jam. What an awesome show. I also got to shake hands with all three after the show. They are so incredibly tight and precise on their live show. I recommend them to anyone who loves their heavy sound!! By the way, Doug's singing was right on. Another post about the group that had the clips...I said his singing was sounding like crap, but when they played our show, he was dead on with everything.
    Van Halen without the original 4 is just not Van Halen.

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I have to say that King's X should never have to open for anyone. Back in the day when they were just starting, and they were either the Edge or Sneak Preview, a friend of mine saw them open for 3 Dog Night, and said they played the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" for their last song, and blew the roof off the joint, and my buddy said he felt bad for 3 Dog Night having to come out after that exhibition. I've asked Doug about that exact show before and he says he knows exactly what I'm referring to. People really missed the boat with King's X. I think the critics who labeled them a "Christian" band had a big hand in that, simply because alot of people are way too cool in their own minds to ever say they listened to a "Christian" type of band. And I think that label is pretty off base. I mean King's X isn't slamming you in the face with a message like Stryper did, but if you're looking for it, there is a message in many of their songs. I like to think of their music as Groovin' Soul Rock. Last time I saw them when they came back to Springfield, they opened with "Groove Machine" and that is just what they are. They should never have to play a short set, no matter who they are playing with. Any bill would be better off letting King's X play their full set than trying to add some other flavor of the day group to appeal to another demographic, and sell a few more seats. Quality over quantity in a big way!

To anyone too cool to go see King's X, you are nothing but a BIG WET HAIRY PUSSY!
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At Alley Cats, the stage was about 2-4 foot tall, but there was no real barrier. No body guards keeping you back. Needless to say everyone pretty much behaved themselves. Ty and Doug were standing about two inches from me and some others during this one song and nobody reached up and f'd with them or their guitars. I think the crowd really respected them. I will say this, its been a long time since I have seen a club show. I saw this one totally sober and enjoyed it. I will say that people seem rude and that they wanted my spot, but I wasn't moving. The temptation to kick the guys' asses on either side of me was overwhelming, but I cooled it. The one on my right came up and started imitating Doug's scream and was ruining it for me. I looked at him like I was going to kill him if he didn't knock it off. The guy on my left kept inching closer toward me like he was trying to inch me over. I was thinking to myself that this dumb fuck was already on the front row...why did he need to move me over? I thought that maybe he enjoyed being a little to close or something. Oh well, AlexFan of just a few years ago would have said something to both of them and probably either started something or intimidated them. I am not tall or anything, so when I challenge people, they are sometimes intimidated. They must think that if a short guy like me gets in their face, I am either psycho or know martial arts or something or am packing heat. I don't know what they think. Maybe the bullies are just as scared as their victims when the tables are turned. Needless to say, AlexFan kept his cool and wasn't hurt or arrested. His wife appreciated that I know!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by WARHEAD:
    Any bill would be better off letting King's X play their full set than trying to add some other flavor of the day group to appeal to another demographic, and sell a few more seats. Quality over quantity in a big way!

To anyone too cool to go see King's X, you are nothing but a BIG WET HAIRY PUSSY!

While I agree with you I just don't see anyone letting an opening band play 2 1/2 to 3 hours! Yes, I did say three hours... If you are a King's X Fan or just want to see an awesome show, PLEASE go see them. These guys love to play. I will be at the Galaxy show. I've seen them there twice and it has been awesome every time. I don't know why their shows there always seem xtra special, but show up and you will see what the select few know that the majority seem to miss! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

P.S. Alexfan. Do you realize you are reffuring to yourself in the 3rd person? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Bro, I'm just talking about King's X having to play an hour long set. That's only time for about 8-10 songs if they're really cookin' and jammin'!
    I can't ever remember the name of the song where they groove and do all of the cool stops at the end, but that song can go 10-20 minutes itself. 1 1/2 to 2 hours would leave plenty of time for a headliner. I would like to think if you take someone on the road with you, you should appreciate their music well enough to let others appreciate it the way it should be. But at the same time, I know it's still the music biz, and that's some fucked up shit! I guess I just prefer to see King's X close or be the only act, unless they can get the Galactic Cowboys back out with them. King's X always lets G.C. get it out of their system in a big way, but I'm sure they all get along way better than most groups that tour together at times. Are G.C. even still together?

The shows out your way may be super cool, but it's pretty special when they come home too! They always just chill and hang out. After one show, me and Jerry played the State Capitols game, and then a game where you name a tv characters name and then the other guy has to name the actor or actress that played the role. My buddy got it all on film and it just shows how normal these cats are. Good ol' boys in the best sense of the term!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bro, I'm just talking about King's X having to play an hour long set. That's only time for about 8-10 songs if they're really cookin' and jammin'!
    I can't ever remember the name of the song where they groove and do all of the cool stops at the end, but that song can go 10-20 minutes itself. 1 1/2 to 2 hours would leave plenty of time for a headliner. I would like to think if you take someone on the road with you, you should appreciate their music well enough to let others appreciate it the way it should be. But at the same time, I know it's still the music biz, and that's some fucked up shit! I guess I just prefer to see King's X close or be the only act, unless they can get the Galactic Cowboys back out with them. King's X always lets G.C. get it out of their system in a big way, but I'm sure they all get along way better than most groups that tour together at times. Are G.C. even still together?

The shows out your way may be super cool, but it's pretty special when they come home too! They always just chill and hang out. After one show, me and Jerry played the State Capitols game, and then a game where you name a tv characters name and then the other guy has to name the actor or actress that played the role. My buddy got it all on film and it just shows how normal these cats are. Good ol' boys in the best sense of the term!
    They played that song with all the mysterious stops...Needless to say, I never knew when to clap because that one I don't have that one. Oh well, I am too old now to care about that self image. I enjoy laughing at my mistakes more than I do agonizing over them. Yes, I was speaking in third person, because the old AlexFan seems like a totally different cat in a lot of ways.

[ December 15, 2002, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: AlexFan ]

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I left right after I shook their hands. I figured they were tired and were going to hang out in private until it thinned out in the club. I do wish I could have spent some time hanging out with them, but you know, these guys probably are just wanting to clean up and get on the bus or whatever. It would be cool to listen to some of their stories and share some with them, but then I say that about every rock star I want to meet. I wonder how many of them really gives a rat's behind enough to hang out with me or someone not like themselves.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I can't ever remember the name of the song where they groove and do all of the cool stops at the end, but that song can go 10-20 minutes itself.
    We Were Born To Be Loved [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Big E comes through with the name, thanks bro!

That song rocks, and is the essence of just how much those 3 guys become one when they play. I have watched them, and tried to count, watched for signals, the whole nine yards, and can't figure what their signal for coming back in is because it seems to change for every stop. My younger brother who plays drums started talking to Jerry Gaskill about it one night, and Jerry just kept shaking his head, basicly saying you guys gotta figure it out on your own. I think we even thought at one time, someone might be triggering a light, that was the cue. It's like on Zeppelin's "Black Dog" when Bonzo clicks his sticks together each time before they break back into the main riff, just a slight click, that you might not hear unless you are really listening for it. Whatever they are really doing, it is beyond mind-blowing how tight they are on it. It's almost like they're fucking with us, and the worse off we get trying to figure out when they're coming back in or going to finish the song, they just keep going. Myself, I love breaking songs down like that at the end. One cover me and friends will play and have fun with is "Man in the Box" and sometimes we slow it down slow as syrup, but still hold the groove, and then work out way back up to regular time, and finish out, easily one of my favorite parts of playing music, and if people can't dig playing like that, I usually don't make it too long being around them. The song was already done on the record like they want to play it. Hell, most bands have fun with their own songs too, and play alot of the main solo themes, but try to take it places. Well, sorry but I have rambled onto another of my tangents. Must be time to crash!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

house of pain
    Last Online

03.02.05 @ 02:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is pathetic. The first club listed, Hoopla's, is down the street from me. My cover band plays there once every month or two. It's too small for even us. It sickens me when I see bands like King’s X playing in these tiny bars.

The "stage" is very small (it's about 10" high.) I use a drum riser that is exactly the same size as the drumkit (7’2”wide) and there's not enough room left between the walls and riser for amps. No kidding. There's barely enough power onstage to run everything. The whole club (located in a shopping strip mall) is about as big as the restaurant where the Seinfeld TV gang would hang out.

Now, I've played smaller. But King’s X? C'mon! I've been to Jaxx and Alley Cats. They're a little better, but I think the KX folks will be a little surprised when they show up at Hoopla’s.

The last time I saw King’s X was back around the Faith, Hope, Love period. It was at a place a few miles the other way from my house. Stage was 40’x25’x4’. Club capacity, 1500-2000. Ceiling, 30’. At the time, I didn’t think they should’ve been playing there either.

Well, my point may not be clear. You may want to get something to drink first while I get my soapbox from the closet.

It is a shame when great bands are ignored by the record companies, record buying public, media, radio, promoters and general public just because they’re not easily categorized or understood. I saw one of the greatest bands ever, Fishbone, play on a 15’x30’ mobile stage last year for about 100 people. It was outside of a club at a beach near a bunch of homes. I wanted to go bang on people’s doors and yell “ don’t you know who is playing over there?”. Living Colour. Saw ‘em at a venue that holds 3000. 1200 people there. Thomas Dolby won’t tour anymore ‘cause it costs more than he makes. Even bands that are doing well on radio and MTV but are still new can only play in the bigger markets. There are 1 million people living in my area but it takes a place with 30 million to fill a 5000 seater for a group like Ben Folds Five.

Apathetic music fans who are too lazy to resist the exploitive, lowest common denominator marketing by the media and music companies are to blame for this. Hey, there’s a time and place for Brittany and Aerosmith, but people’s ears and eyes have been closed off to anything else by never being exposed to anything else. I try to listen to as much different music as I can and yes, most of it would be considered ‘artsy’. That’s not to say I can’t enjoy a “show” for it’s entertainment value (I love to look at Brittany’s ass) or pop bands like Foo Fighters and Incubus. It’s all good. But I think people have been mislead into thinking that if something doesn’t have the stamp of approval by every major retail outlet, then it must be no good. That’s why King’s X will be appearing at Hoopla’s on February 6, 2002. Well, I think their “agent” may have something to do with it also.

Sorry. I’ll go back to lurking now.
    <a href="http://www.starcalledsun.com" target="_blank">www.starcalledsun.com</a>

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

house of pain
    Last Online

03.02.05 @ 02:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you want, you can see Hoopla's here.
    http://www.starcalledsun.com/pics101902.html
    <a href="http://www.starcalledsun.com" target="_blank">www.starcalledsun.com</a>

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.15.08 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by inforthekill:
    Well, I think their “agent” may have something to do with it also.
    Actually when King's X went to Metal Blade, they dumped all their management. Ty does all the management and booking for them now. He has said several times that they make a decent living now, whereas in the beginning, there were so many hands in the pot that they would end up with nothing.

I am sad to see them play tiny places, but they have accepted their place in the music scene. I would rather see them playing 2000 seat theaters because theaters are usually ideal sound-wise, but I don't mind seeing them with 500 other people. Much better show than an arena show.

Can you imagine seeing VH in a small club? Wow.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I agree. If their financial success matched their talent, they would be the richest band on the planet!