Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

After reading the post "guitarist who might give Ed a run for his money", I felt compelled to post a message to everyone at VHinks.

Discussions like these are often pointless at a fan site, because the general fans at a VHLinks or KISS Asylum are mostly closed minded to the rest of the world's musical genre's. From reading the posts at many hard rock/heavy metal fans sites...it appears that most of the fans think that rock (and all it's heavier forms) is the only music worth listening to. It appears that VHLinks is no different with this fact. I truly believe that the MAJORITY of people here...listen to hard rock/heavy metal/alternative/thrash etc...and nothing but.

Having said this...it is moronic to think that EVH is the greatest guitar player that ever lived (which is the general opinion here). I love VH and all that EVH has accomplised, but he is not the best and anyone else that has versatile musical tastes...would agree. There are thousands of guitarists that could give EVH a run for his money and ALSO surpass his abilities. You just have not heard of them...because "Running With The Devil" is still burning your turntable/CD Player.

For the record...there are other "rock" guitarists that ARE better than EVH...in terms of just being versatile. While people here say that EVH can play the blues or jazz well (and might do so after VH break up)...it is simply a lack of musical knowledge from people that makes them say these kinds of statements. While EVH might be able to play blues-rock or jazz-rock fine...any REAL jazz or blues connoisseur would laugh at any EVH jazz/blues solo effort...simply because he does not have it in him and it would be stupid to try. He is a ROCK guitarist and that is what he does best. Leave it at that and do ROCK instrumentals, because he not going to impress people that listen to Al Di Meola and Pat Matheney.

People also say that EVH is a keyboard GOD. Whatever you say. Bands like Tangerine Dream wrote the book on keyboards and can play better than EVH in their sleep. Same as Jan Hammer (who actually played with EVH live once). EVH could never release a full keyboard solo album...because it would be boring and not even near the levels of brilliance that Tangerine Dream and Jan Hammer have constructed.

The bottom line is that EVH is brilliant in his genre and I can't find the words to convey how much I love his playing. But...I prefer guitarists that can EQUALLY play different styles. EVH is not this guitarist....as he can't play REAL blues or jazz, as well as his incredible rock style.

So while the following guitarists may not be better than EVH in the rock department...they still are overall better musicians...because they are more versatile guitarists.

1. Eric Johnson
    2. Richie Kotzen (Mr. Big/Poison/Stanley Clarke/Solo)
    3. Neal Schon (Journey/Hardline/Sammy Hagar/Sananta)
    4. Stevie Salas (Colorcode, Sass Jordan, Rod Stewart)
    5. Vernon Reid (Living Colour/Solo)
    6. Zakk Wylde (Ozzy/Pride & Glory/Black Label Society)
    7. Jeff Beck (Solo/Rod Stewart/The Yardbirds)
    8. Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme/Solo)
    9. Brian May (Queen/Solo)

PH

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You my friend are an idiot. Eddie is the best. I listen to everything from the blues to metal. I'm sure Eddie can play the blues better then Clapton, or BB King could play rock. It's not about the style of music you play, it's about the feeling, the guitarist's abilities, and how good of songs they right!! In my opinion Edde is the best guitarist ever. It's an opinion so it doesn't make me right. But I am right so there it is.

------------------
    "Take it off, Take it off, Yeah!"

E.B.A.S

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's awfully funny to me when this type of thread pops up. People are always comparing this and that and it's so stupid. Music is music, and the last time I checked each style of music has the same notes as the other ones. As far as your list goes, I fail to see how any of those guys are more versatile than Edward. Let's think of the styles that Edward has recorded with Van Halen...Rock (stock VH tunes), flamenco (Spanish Fly, Little Guitars), country chickin' pickin' (Finish What Ya Started), jazz/Dixieland (Big Bad Bill), blues slide (Could This be Magic, Apolitical Blues). It seems to me that Edward did everyone of these things WELL, and let's not forget that he plays piano as well. Seems pretty damn versatile to me.

One other thing, almost everyone on that list has borrowed a thing or two from EVH. Sorry dude, but Ed is the King.

------------------
    DLR Army webmaster

http://www.dlrarmy.com

[This message has been edited by BrownSound1 (edited August 25, 2000 at 03:53 PM).]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The South will rise again!!!

------------------
    "Take it off, Take it off, Yeah!"

E.B.A.S

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let's end this one here! Look, as far as I see it, I am the best guitarist in the world. I am also the worst. I am ALSO the most mediocre. And everything in between. You see, Powermouse, music isn't competitive. Well, it shouldn't be. But there's always a jazz guy around to pitch some shit at the rock players. Well, you know, there's about a MILLION bluegrass players here in Elk Snout (sic) PA that would blow the doors off your beloved Al Dimeola. SO WHAT??? It's a matter of taste.

Since nobody plays EXACTLY what I play, I have no competition. Hence, I am both the best and the worst---at being ME. THAT'S what music is all about: being yourself.

If truth is what you seek, you will find it there.

If 'who's best' is what you seek, go to the bathroom. Take a massive dump....get a camera...photograph it...develop it...enlarge it....copy it....and paper your walls with it. Then show your mommy your work. If she says 'That looks like shit!', you won't know if she means the picture, or your motif. Get it??

God, WHY does everybody want to compete here????

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Zakk Wylde more versatile than EVH? Gimme a fucking break...

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol what the hell are ya smokin!
    zakk wylde? suck my yello balls on that man!
    eddie can kill his ass!

------------------
    *Might As Well Go For A Soda!* - Kim Mitchell '84

http://surf.to/atomicpunk

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Powerhouse...

1. Why do I have the feeling I know you?

Perhaps it's because you've been here before?

Under a different username, perhaps?

Whatever...

2. You've got quite a pair to come out and speak this way of people on the links.

You wrote...

"Discussions like these are often pointless at a fan site, because the general fans at a VHLinks or KISS Asylum are mostly closed minded to the rest of the world's musical genre's. From reading the posts at many hard rock/heavy metal fans sites...it appears that most of the fans think that rock (and all it's heavier forms) is the only music worth listening to. It appears that VHLinks is no different with this fact. I truly believe that the MAJORITY of people here...listen to hard rock/heavy metal/alternative/thrash etc...and nothing but."

You called out the majority of the people on the links - When the majority never posted in the thread you spoke of.

You seem to like versatility, eh?

Well how about in your next post you try some friendliness?

That would be a nice change of pace.

3. Thirdly - but MOST importantly - You're not nearly as bright as you'd have us believe.

You can use all the big words you can find in the thesaurus and tell us how lacking we are in "musical knowledge."

But at the end of the day, your opinion (and THAT'S what it IS) is just that - An opinion.

You are not the "be all and end all" of musical taste. So why try to pose as such?

Anyone that gives props to a turd that played in "Mr. Big" has ZERO breathing space for dismissing other peoples opinions, IN MY OPINION.

And if you are SO varied in musical genres and SO aware of the THOUSANDS of guitarists that surpass EVH, why have you only named 9?

DIF

(I like how you put your initials at the end of your posts, too. Lest we forget who has graced us with their presence. )

------------------
    "Sayonara, Suicide, Hari-Kari, Kamikaze, you won't see another evening, bye-bye..."

Official Bartender Of VHLinks

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Fuck Abe, that is spooky man. I was just gonna post how Al Dimeloa even says that he loves Eddie's "right handed technique" on "Spanish Fly" 1981 I believe it was. Eddie is the King. PERIOD. Out

The interview was in 81. I am well aware as to when "Spanish Fly" was recorded. That was my edit on this post. Out

[This message has been edited by track 5 (edited August 26, 2000 at 02:22 AM).]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.27.06 @ 08:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know what, it doesn't matter because like Abe said, he could be the best. I am sure there is some kid picking away that is better than we have ever seen. The point it that many players you just cant compare. It is like saying what religion is better Christianity or Judism. different people veiw different players differently....tongue twister. Also, what do you expect coming to a Van Halen site and trying to tell everyone that Ed isn't the best. That is like someone going and telling the priest he is preaching the word of satan. Do I think Ed is the best, yes, but at the same time no. Am I right, well that depends on who I say it to.

------------------
    ...and on the seventh day, god created Eddie!

http://eternalhorizon.virtualave.net

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Powerhouse:

2. Richie Kotzen (Mr. Big/Poison

I'll stop you right there and let the ridiculousness of that statement speak for itself. A guy who was the second string guitarist for 2 cheezy ass hairbands (no offense to Billy Sheehan) and got fired from one of them for fucking the drummer's fiance doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Eddie Van Halen. Fucking please....

3. Neal Schon (Journey/Hardline/Sammy Hagar/Sananta)

As much as I criticize Eddie for getting complacent in the Van Hagar years and not doing a lot that was new, Neal Schon made complacency an art form on his pussy ass Journey albums. Gotta admit he was good on HSAS though.

5. Vernon Reid (Living Colour/Solo)
    6. Zakk Wylde (Ozzy/Pride & Glory/Black Label Society)

Good guitarists, hell yes. More "versatile" than Eddie? Very unlikely. (BTW it would be great if Living Colour reunited and took the opening slot on the Van Halen summer 2001 tour)

7. Jeff Beck (Solo/Rod Stewart/The Yardbirds)

Yeah, Beck has played just about everything, but what he remains best known for is his blues rock with the Yardbirds and Jeff Beck Group. It's also pointless to compare guitarists with such different styles.

8. Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme/Solo)

Yeah Right. Nuno will be the first one to tell you who his primary influences were. Guess who one of them was?? And the other was.........
    9. Brian May (Queen/Solo)

Sorry, can't agree there. May was great, as was the rest of Queen. But the "versatility" within their music was more the entire song structure rather than just Brian's guitar. Like Van Hagar, Queen's later albums seemed to be less adventurous than their earlier counterparts IMHO.

Looking for a versatile guitarist? Try this guy! http://www.philkeaggy.com/his_music.cfm

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

[This message has been edited by FORD (edited August 26, 2000 at 08:48 PM).]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like to hear Nuno and all the other wannabees play Eruption.Ed is the MAN!

------------------

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well i agree with everybody here. Since there is so many music styles its hard to find the best guitarist. They are all good at what they do, to make it fair i will list 3 guitarist that I like. Of course i think ed is the greatest thats why iam using vhlinks. well here we go again.
    these are not in order of importance ...but ed goes first...

1.edward van halen
    2.stevie ray vaughn- he played with so much feeling, and boy could he play some fast blues!!!!!!!!!!
    3.jimmy paige-he is not as good as edward ...but what makes him good is the combination of him and led zeppelin. They made some music that change the way music is played today.

I know some of you would disagree so what...put it this way there is never going to be a answer to this question that everyone will agree on. I heard on vh1 that there are going to count down the 20 best guitarist ? when is this going to be on?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:07 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Whatever ya say Cinematic Soul... oops powerhouse now? Still trying to tell us all what we do and do not like, and shoving your opinions at us as facts. Only thing your missing is a Coverdale reference.

Cool, whatever man. Leopards..spots...etc

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

[This message has been edited by Goo (edited August 28, 2000 at 03:47 AM).]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Powerhouse- Tangerine DReam has inspired millions and has made a name for themselves as a commercially successful juggernaut.

N O T !!!!!!!!

More versatile then Eddie? The list you just posted proves just the opposite. Thanks for supporting our case. Oh, by the way, Vernon Reid,Richie Kotzen, and Nuno Bettencourt all site Eddie as one of their major influences.

Neil Schon? ( Hey Powerhouse! "Don't stop Believing!")

Jeff Beck? yeah, everyone compares guitar innovation and versatility to Jeff Beck. (huh!) Great player, but listing on your resume that you were Rod Stewart's guitar player will not attract too many young guitar players looking for versatility in their playing.

Brian May? Great guitar player, but people went out and bought Starfleet Project because Eddie played on it. Hey, the facts hurt!