Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been really getting into this CD for the past couple of months. It's so relaxed and melodic. The tones of Miles Davis and John Coltrane together are nothing short of fantastic. I have ordered Bitches Brew from Miles and I just got In A Silent Way for Christmas. IASW is a bit more layered and dense. It has John McLaughlin on guitar who has been an insperation for quite some time. Does anyone else here listen to Jazz? If so I'd appreciate some direction as to what to purchase next.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You might enjoy Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' if you don't have it already. There's also a guy named Jools Holland who hosts a jazz show in the UK. He's a pretty good musician in his own right, but he's also put together some compilations of jazz artists that are great. I have the Jazz Piano one. The Ken Burns Jazz series has some good stuff in that vein as well.

If you like vocal jazz/standards, which is my particular preference in the genre, Sinatra's concept albums on Capitol rule (e.g. In the Wee Small Hours and Only the Lonely) Diana Krall is as good as the hype as well. Her new live album is stellar.

[ January 08, 2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Crazy from the Hemp ]
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight"
    Last Online

02.07.09 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Kind Of Blue" is a masterpiece. It redefined jazz when it came out. I also have "Nefertiti" by Miles, which is really cool. I have been wanting to get "Birth Of The Cool" and "Sketches Of Spain" for quite some time. Miles is just awesome.

As far as other jazz, one of my favorite CD's is "The Gentle Side Of John Coltrane". It is so mellow and relaxing. And for something totally different, check out this great trio called Medeski, Martin, and Wood. They are really experimental and fun. Check out their album "Shackman" and just TRY to not shake your ass! It's impossible! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Life sucks...get a fucking helmet!" - Denis Leary<br /><br />"Here's how I come up with my song titles...say you write a song about a chandelier...the chandelier puts out light...the light is red...red is the color you're not supposed to wear around a bull...so you call the song "Cow". - Billy Corgan

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    Get Miles Davis's "Live at Carnegie Hall." It is a complete cluster-fuck of jungle music! It's the greatest!

Maybe not suited for someone just getting into jazz though. Put it on your list and pick it up after you have become a seasoned jazz veteran..

Cheers

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Excellent, EXCELLENT album. Classic. I have three or four others that I like as well. One of his later ones, "Amandla" was much more modern thatn his old-school albums (which are still the best), but great regardless.

Other Jazz I listen to is stuff like Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour, as well as both Branford and Wynton Marsalis. I guess i would throw Holdsworth in there too, even though he's really a fusion player.

I also like Dave Grusin and Vince Guaraldi (the Peanuts guys), and some of Tower of Power's old stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

Originally posted by Abatoir:
    And for something totally different, check out this great trio called Medeski, Martin, and Wood. They are really experimental and fun. Check out their album "Shackman" and just TRY to not shake your ass! It's impossible! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Those guys are good. I'm just starting to get into them. A friend of mine has a couple of their bootlegs and he turned them on to me. I still haven't had a chance to check 'em out live. I'm definitely checking them out next time they pop up in Detroit. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    M*U*L*E

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EXCELLENT album! One of my all time favorites! I can listen to "Kind Of Blue" OVER AND OVER again and hear something new each time!!!!

CLASSIC!
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What is Biches Brew like? I know it's really experimental but what would you guys equate it to if anything?
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

I love 'Kind of Blue'. One of my favorite albums of all time.

Here's some more good starter CD's for Jazz:

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else (w/ Miles Davis)

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Dave Brubeck - G/H

Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Flies High

Some of my other favorites are:

Ginger Baker Trio (former Cream drummer)

Derek Trucks Band
    Self Titled

Out Of The Madness

Joyful Noise

Derek plays for the Allman Brothers during the summer, his uncle is the drummer for the Allmans, Butch Trucks. Derek blends slide guitar with Jazz, he's amazing, and he's only 22 yrs. old.

[ January 09, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Rod Dangle ]
    M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

Originally posted by ross:
    What is Biches Brew like? I know it's really experimental but what would you guys equate it to if anything?
    The first few times you listen to it, it just sounds like a bunch of noise, but the more you listen to it the more things start making sense. You'll start noticing each instrument and then the next thing you know they start to blend together. It's an amazing album. I wouldn't suggest that one until you get your feet wet with some of the starters I mentioned in my previous post.
    M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I'm just glad to see that not everyone's 2nd favorite group here is Motley Crue!

my all time favorite Miles album is "Bitches Brew"

anyone ever read his autobiography?
    great book!
    Eat Us and Smile!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first few times you listen to it, it just sounds like a bunch of noise, but the more you listen to it the more things start making sense. You'll start noticing each instrument and then the next thing you know they start to blend together. It's an amazing album. I wouldn't suggest that one until you get your feet wet with some of the starters I mentioned in my previous post.
    I ordered it a couple of weeks ago and I'm expecting it anytime. I'm able to handle some experimentation. I was listening to Peter Gabriel era Genesis when I was 17 plus I'm a musician myself so I'm hoping I'll be able to handle Bitches Brew.

BTW Motley Crue isn't even in my list of top 100 musical artists.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight"
    Last Online

02.07.09 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Rod Dangle:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Abatoir:
    And for something totally different, check out this great trio called Medeski, Martin, and Wood. They are really experimental and fun. Check out their album "Shackman" and just TRY to not shake your ass! It's impossible! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Those guys are good. I'm just starting to get into them. A friend of mine has a couple of their bootlegs and he turned them on to me. I still haven't had a chance to check 'em out live. I'm definitely checking them out next time they pop up in Detroit. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]I've been fortunate to see them live 3 times. The first time they opened for Beck at a concert in Seattle and no one knew who they were. By the end of the set, people were going nuts! If you get a chance to go, be ready to dance with a BUNCH of hippies...they seem to have a Grateful Dead like following. On the plus side, the second hand high I usually get at their shows is rather nice.

One of their better CD's is called "Tonic". It's recorded live at a club in NY and Medeski leaves the Hammond B3 at home in favor of a piano. It's more of a traditional jazz trio, but still with their experimental edge. Man, I just love those guys!
    "Life sucks...get a fucking helmet!" - Denis Leary<br /><br />"Here's how I come up with my song titles...say you write a song about a chandelier...the chandelier puts out light...the light is red...red is the color you're not supposed to wear around a bull...so you call the song "Cow". - Billy Corgan

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Kind of Blue is brilliant. One of my absolute faves....

Bitches Brew will get you stoned. The only album I've ever heard that will, and if you like that also check out AGARTHA...

Good stuff....

[ January 09, 2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: willyum ]
    not another dime from me, fellas...

tinzen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

Originally posted by Abatoir:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rod Dangle:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Abatoir:
    Those guys are good. I'm just starting to get into them. A friend of mine has a couple of their bootlegs and he turned them on to me. I still haven't had a chance to check 'em out live. I'm definitely checking them out next time they pop up in Detroit. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]I've been fortunate to see them live 3 times. The first time they opened for Beck at a concert in Seattle and no one knew who they were. By the end of the set, people were going nuts! If you get a chance to go, be ready to dance with a BUNCH of hippies...they seem to have a Grateful Dead like following. On the plus side, the second hand high I usually get at their shows is rather nice.</font>[/QUOTE]Sounds good, the Dead is right up my alley. I love dancin' with hippies. I usually have an illegal smile when I go to shows.

Have you ever heard the Gov't Mule tune 'Sco-Mule' with Chris Wood and John Scofield? John Medeski also plays on a tune with the Mule "Hammer and Nails". Both outstanding tunes.

One of their better CD's is called "Tonic". It's recorded live at a club in NY and Medeski leaves the Hammond B3 at home in favor of a piano. It's more of a traditional jazz trio, but still with their experimental edge. Man, I just love those guys!
    Thanks, I'll check it out. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    M*U*L*E