Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

RONNIE JAMES DIO Speaks Out On "Widespread Abuse" Of "Devil's Horns" Hand Sign - May 22, 2002

Ronnie James Dio, the man widely credited for pioneering the "devil's horns" hand sign, recently spoke to Kerrang! about the "widespread abuse of his creation" amongst pop folk and people who flash the sign without knowing the meaning behind it.

"It's all right as long as it's accepted for what it was," Dio told the magazine. "It was a more serious thing at the time, when I was with [BLACK] SABBATH. That was a band that was very dark, and that's what I wanted it to be. It was symbol of the darkness of that band, and not something to be passed on to BRITNEY SPEARS! An invention is an invention, I guess. It's become so damn polluted now. The people who are doing it don't know what it means and they have no idea that they shouldn't be doing it.

"It's a trend," Dio addded. "It's a popular trend and so it will probably become like the hula hoop. During a show, I sometimes think 'Maybe I won't do that tonight', because it's become so damn ludicrous now. Everyone's doing it and it has no meaning anymore. Now I wait until two or three songs into the show, and until there's a stop in the music and I'm doing something on my own, and then the response is incredible because people are wanting that from me. It's like OZZY and the peace sign, you know? So I never find myself not doing it, but I'm definitely doing it less and less these days.

"The point is that you can't just flash it. You have to a face that goes with it. There has to be some emotion behind it. It can't just be the raising of the arm, trying to get your fingers in the right position. And you'll notice that a lot of people are using the thumb now, too. When the thumb comes out it means 'I love you' either in Hawaiian or in sign language - I'm not sure which! So that's proof, once again, that these celebrities don't really have a clue. As stupid as this might sound, I never once did that on stage unless it was to punctuate something that was a little more dark. So when I did it, it was never about starting a trend. It's a natural thing for me to do. It's important to know that it's not something I did frivolously it was just a spontaneous response to something that I sang. A lot of times, bending of the knees always puts it in a slightly different perspective. It puts you in the Sumo position. Now you're ready to charge!"
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FanHalen:
    RONNIE JAMES DIO Speaks Out On "Widespread Abuse" Of "Devil's Horns" Hand Sign - May 22, 2002
    "It can't just be the raising of the arm, trying to get your fingers in the right position. And you'll notice that a lot of people are using the thumb now, too. When the thumb comes out it means 'I love you' either in Hawaiian or in sign language - I'm not sure which!"
    When you make the devils horns sign and you stick out your thumb, that's sign langauge slang for I love you.

When you only extend your thumb and your pinky, that's a Hawaiian gesture, that usually is accompanied by a phrase... and I think it might be something like "Chaka bro." That means hang loose, if I remember...

Poor guy! He starts this trend, and then he has to deal with Britney doing it? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Actually, I can't think of anything more "Satanic" than someone making millions off of absolutely no talent or abilities (aside from fake tits) whatsoever. In that case, Shitney using the [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] sign is oddly appropriate.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Somebody needs to stop taking themselves so seriously!!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How sad that Dio fans get a charge out of him doing a hand sign.

And I'd like to see some documentation of his having invented the devil horn sign. Otherwise I'll say he invented it the day after Al Gore invented the Internet.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm not the only one who thinks Ronnie James needs to get a hobby?
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, the guy's even older than Sammy and he's still screaming well. I would say he has just as much claim to the [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] thing as Eddie has to white stripes on a red background. I never saw the hand sign before DIO/Sabbath. At the time he had said he wanted it to be the opposite of Ozzy's peace sign thing.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Y
    Hand position shown for fingerspelling of letter

He couldn't have invented the sign, as it is also the sign used by the ASL to represent the letter "Y"
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like Dio, but this is more than enough debate/discussion over something as trivial as flashing the "Devil Sign" Maybe Ronnie has too much time on his hands, if he is spending this much energy discussing this.

Ah well, rock on [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Wow, I like Ronnie and all, but did this actually need to be said? I would be interested in reading the entire interview, maybe this was intended to be funny, but it's just out of context now.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

JUMP, RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL&LOVE COMES WALKING IN
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IT no secret that the hulkamaniac brother is a ronnie james dio fan. whether it his work in black sabbath or in elf, i have always liked him. of course i also like him in most of his solo work like rainbow in the dark, we rock and other classic dio songs. I think that dio may have been making a good point of people using a symbol as powerful as that of the devil a little too much but i also agree that he did not invent it. now a question may be raised if the cortland native brought it into rock first but i do not know how to find thato ut. as far as addingthe thumb, it does indeed mean i love you which is a beautiful gesture that the legendary superfly used to flash to his fans before taking leaps off of 15 foot cages. I know that ronnie and his current band have a new studio release out and i am looking forward to hearing it. i just find it sad that the man who has a street named after him can not fill giant all purpose stadiums and is getting so upset over the sign of the devil. It almost makes people want to know if the great ronnie james does serve the devil or is the sign just a prop like ozzy eating doves or flea playing guitar in his underwear. whatever the answer is i think someone in this group ought to go down to the small town of cortland where dio was created and find out how he was raised and what he is really about brothers.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

03.22.09 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Ronnie James Dio at the Water Street Music Hall in Rochester few years ago. I don't remember or care if he did the hand thing.
    All that matters is that he does that he songs you want to hear from him and his voice is good. And for anyone to think that that Dio fans would hate a show if he did not do the hand thing is stupid.
    “I made some mistakes tonight but we sing and play our f***ing instruments. Accept no substitute “ Tom Petty at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center July 3, 2002

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a Rainbow video from '77 before he "invented" the hand sign, it's pretty funny....like he doesn't know what to do with his hands, or maybe I'm just so expecting him to do it [img]smile.gif[/img] Contrast that with the Black and Blue video a couple of year later where he does it to the point of self-parody.

The guy has a great voice and made some stellar music with Blackmore and Iommi. Too bad he turned into a one-dimensional D&D-metal angry screamer who takes himself way too seriously.
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by UnleashVH:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LA:
    Y
    Hand position shown for fingerspelling of letter

He couldn't have invented the sign, as it is also the sign used by the ASL to represent the letter "Y"
    Umm, good point and all about the above sign belonging to the ASL, but I don't believe that the sign above is the "Devil's Horn" hand sign. It involves the pinky and the pointer finger, not the pinky and the thumb.</font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, it looks like the "Hook 'em Horns" sign of the U. of Texas which I always confused it with til I found out what the deal was. And if Britney is going around using it, well that's damn pathetic.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Well, you know if Dio hangs out with Eddie or Lars, then he's going to get the bright idea to patent it. So then, every fan, artist, and celeb that uses the "sign" with have to pay a small royalty.
    Your favorite band sucks.