Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm gonna get held over a barrel and beaten for this, but I got to shoot out some praise for the Phil Collins album ("Testify") coming out tomorrow (11/12/02). First new album in 6 years from him (not counting the soundtrack work he did for Disney) and fans of his should appreciate it. Of course, it's Phil, so we're talking a more mellow adult contemporary album here.

If you're interested, the album is on WinMX as we speak and you can catch the video for the single, "Can't Stop Loving You" (no relation to the VH CSLY) at Atlantic's webpage (atlanticrecords.com). Just do an artist search for Phil Collins.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I prefered Phil Collins with Genesis but I'll check this one out.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

*snicker* [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts

Got it....like it a lot. I've listened to it about a handful of times this past weekend. It gets better every time. He experiments with Industrial-type beats and you still get enough of his awesome drumming throughout, not as much as the old days, unfortunately, but still enough to know he's still one of the greatest percussionists around.

It's mostly mellow, yeah, but Phil Collins is a great talent and it shows here.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wow - now there's a name I hadn't expected to hear anything about new material from. I wouldn't mind hearing some of it.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I dunno, I think he's just a fast right-hand picker, and a shredder. The songwriting of Def Leppard went down the tubes once they ran out of Steve Clark's material, and Phil Collen really stunk it up.

Oh.......you said Phil Collin(s).

My bad.

Great solo artist, outstanding songwriter, mushy or not. I like him best with Genesis, though.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For those looking into buying or downloading this album (call it a little, preview before you plunk down a hard-earned $11):

1. Wake Up Call - 5:15
    2. Come With Me - 4:34
    3. Testify - 6:31
    4. Don't Get Me Started - 4:41
    5. Swing Low - 5:08
    6. It's Not Too Late - 3:59
    7. This Love This Heart - 4:04
    8. Driving Me Crazy - 4:37
    9. The Least You Can Do - 4:21
    10. Can't Stop Loving You - 4:17
    11. Through My Eyes - 5:07
    12. You Touch My Heart - 4:42

Edit: Do you think it's ironic that both former lead singers from Genesis have new solo albums out in the same year after both waited a LONG time to do it?

[ November 12, 2002, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Stuff No More ]
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Anyone else dig Phil Collins? I love Genesis, with Phil on lead vocals, even more so than Peter Gabriel. I like Peter's solo stuff though. Genesis isn't a rockin band like Van Halen, but I like a different change of pace here and there. Anyway, I admire Phil's solo albums too. My girlfriend has the greatest hits, but I'm sure he's gonna have another one of those. I heard some new tunes off his new album, and it's damn good. He's a great song writer and musician.

[ January 11, 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Pabs ]
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always like Phil Collins...solo and Genesis stuff...he wrote some good stuff...although...he also wrote some really lame stuff.
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Aquatic Punk:
    I've always like Phil Collins...solo and Genesis stuff...he wrote some good stuff...although...he also wrote some really lame stuff.
    That happens with everyone, though. You have to take the good with the bad. Overall though, Phil is awesome.

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

Banned!
    Last Online

07.15.07 @ 05:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Recently he's indicated he'd be open to getting back together with the Genesis guys...be it the full original line up or the "And then there were three" lineup. Cause, we all know how well Genesis' "Calling All Stations" lineup did after Phil left. With, what was his name, Ray Wilson on vocals. That album flopped worse than VH3.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've always liked Phil Collins, probably more so with Genesis than solo. Genesis has got some great tunes, especially old Genesis when Phil just started singing lead for them. Tunes like "ABACAB" and "Man on the Corner" are great, and as far as his solo stuff "In the Air Tonight" and "Take Me Home" are even better. Even some of Phil's sappy love songs are pretty good, and he's a decent drummer to boot. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m a fan of both Phil Collins and the version of Genesis he fronted (though I never liked the Peter Gabriel-led version of the band). I own both Collins’ solo greatest hits and the Genesis greatest hits. Two of the better greatest hits packages on the market, IMO. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Collins has some great solo tunes like “In The Air Tonight”, “Something Happened On The Way To Heaven” and “Easy Lover” (with Philip Bailey), as well as some of his tunes with Genesis like “Abacab,” “Misunderstanding,” “Turn It On,” and “Land Of Confusion.” They rock – maybe not on the level of classic VH but they are great nonetheless (especially “Abacab”). I even like a lot of the slower tunes Collins put out as a solo artist (“Against All Odds,” “Another Day In Paradise,” “One More Night”) and with Genesis (“Follow You, Follow Me,” “Throwing It All Way,” “In Too Deep”). Like Pabs, I like a change of pace once in awhile. Believe me when I say that I have many worse “guilty pleasures” than Phil Collins/Genesis when it comes to my taste in music. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I never really got into Collins’ stuff when it was released in the ‘80s that much. I think most of us remember how blasphemous it would’ve been to listen to so-called “wussy” music like this when we were in high school and peer pressure reigned supreme. It’s only been the past 5-10 years that my attitude has changed. Not that the material wasn’t always quality stuff, but I think it’s more of a nostalgia trip for me. You know, certain songs remind me of less hectic, more frivolous times when MTV actually showed quality music videos, and I looked forward to getting hammered with high school friends every weekend. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Man, it sucks getting old.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Delighted Romeo:
    I’m a fan of both Phil Collins and the version of Genesis he fronted (though I never liked the Peter Gabriel-led version of the band). I own both Collins’ solo greatest hits and the Genesis greatest hits. Two of the better greatest hits packages on the market, IMO. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Collins has some great solo tunes like “In The Air Tonight”, “Something Happened On The Way To Heaven” and “Easy Lover” (with Philip Bailey), as well as some of his tunes with Genesis like “Abacab,” “Misunderstanding,” “Turn It On,” and “Land Of Confusion.” They rock – maybe not on the level of classic VH but they are great nonetheless (especially “Abacab”). I even like a lot of the slower tunes Collins put out as a solo artist (“Against All Odds,” “Another Day In Paradise,” “One More Night”) and with Genesis (“Follow You, Follow Me,” “Throwing It All Way,” “In Too Deep”). Like Pabs, I like a change of pace once in awhile. Believe me when I say that I have many worse “guilty pleasures” than Phil Collins/Genesis when it comes to my taste in music. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I never really got into Collins’ stuff when it was released in the ‘80s that much. I think most of us remember how blasphemous it would’ve been to listen to so-called “wussy” music like this when we were in high school and peer pressure reigned supreme. It’s only been the past 5-10 years that my attitude has changed. Not that the material wasn’t always quality stuff, but I think it’s more of a nostalgia trip for me. You know, certain songs remind me of less hectic, more frivolous times when MTV actually showed quality music videos, and I looked forward to getting hammered with high school friends every weekend. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Man, it sucks getting old.
    Right on man.

Favorite VH Album

VH1, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Top of the World
    Last Online

01.30.07 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think he's awesome, Genesis or no-Genesis.