Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a huge Floyd fan, but I don't have any of their cd's (except the requisite DSOTM). I'm looking to start collecting them all, and I wonder how to go about it.

Do you people suggest getting the box set first and then going from there, or getting the cd's 1 by 1. Also, which ones should I hold off on, that aren't very good. I know The Final Cut isn't popular, but I do like some of it. Also, I know Ummagumma is a must have, I do have it on tape.

Do any of you have the box set, and do you recommend it? Thanks for the input. I'll probably ask for the Box for Christmas.

Also, what do you all think of the new greatest hits cd? I've also thought about getting that, but I don't know, considering I may get the box set.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well... I just have the new best of album Echoes, which is alright.

I like some of Floyd's stuff, and some I don't.

Btw... this is my 200th post at the Links... a free drink for all! *gulp* [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm kind of odd in that I like newer Floyd better than older Floyd. I've enjoyed the Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason. I'd add Dark Side of the Moon (if I didn't already own Pulse) and the Wall to that list. That's really all the deeper I go into that band.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

women and children first
    Favorite VH Song

humans being
    Last Online

02.10.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How COOL! Just last night the family had our Pink Floyd hour (instead of watching TV!). The Floyd is one of my favorite bands, and if I HAD to recommend one album I would tell you to get Animals. I don't have the box set because I already have the individual releases but the box would be worth having because its such a cool collectors item. Get the Wall DVD too if you have a DVD player cuz its one of the best DVDs out there. I really don't get into best of CDs because of having all the regular releases but I guess they are great for the casual fan.
    "And the Cradle will Rock!"

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I have the Wall on DVD, it was a MUST in college [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Have you guys ever synched up Dark Side of the Moon withe the Wizard of Oz?? REALLY COOL. If you don't know what it is, there are whole websites devoted to it...definitely worth checking out.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RayBan:
    and if I HAD to recommend one album I would tell you to get Animals.<hr></blockquote>

'Animals' is their best album. 'Dark Side' is good (a little over played), of course 'The Wall'. 'Ummagumma' is a really good one. 'Wish You Were Here' is also another favorite of mine.

My brother has the box set, he loves it. You'll save a little a bit of money if you buy the box set rather than buying 'em all separately, that's if you're planning on buying all their CD’s.

All my Floyd CD's are old & scratched up, so I might pick up the box set myself.

Here's a Pink Floyd message board http://www.aboveboard.com/pinkfloyd/ they might be able to help you out a little bit more there.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't forget Wish You Were Here or Meddle

I've only gotten into Floyd with Roger Waters. Taking him out of the equasion is tantamount to taking Dave outta VH.

Top Five:
    1. Animals
    2. Wish You Were Here
    3. DSOTM
    4. Meddle
    5. Final Cut

The video 'Live in Pompeii' is fucking amazing!

Happy Floyding [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    RLRR LRLL

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

good topic. you'd best be starting off with the wall and the dark side of the moon. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    i don't have any of their albums either, but i'm right behind you on the box set. that would be awesome.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just remember one thing..... If Roger Waters is not on the album, it is NOT Pink Floyd!!
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL FORD, you crack me up sometimes. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by strungout:
    LOL FORD, you crack me up sometimes. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

Seriously though. Pink Floyd broke up in 1982, after The Final Cut was released. In 1985, David Gilmour & Nick Mason released an album under their own name. It tanked. Gilmour & Mason then decided they would legally hijack the Pink Floyd name and use it on their records, even though Gilmour isn't even an original member of the band. Though Gilmour is an excellent guitarist and a good enough singer, it was Water's songwriting which delivered the major portion of Floyd's music. To use the band name without him is nothing short of a crime.

In a way, I hope the new greatest hits compilation does very well, and drives the point home to Gilmour that the fans would rather see the REAL Pink Floyd than his pathetic imitation.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

06.07.06 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gilmour may not be an original member, but when Syd Barrett went crazy they had to replace him, and Gilmour was the man. He has been on every Pink Floyd album except for the first one, his guitar style is certainly a major part of the Pink Floyd sound, and that is his voice on some of those classic songs like Time and Comfortably Numb.

I really don't have a problem with Gilmour, Mason, and Wright continuing with the Pink Floyd name because they are the remaining members, they didn't add new people to the band, and it was Waters' choice to quit the band.

If you're going to say it's not the real Pink Floyd without Waters, you should say it never has been the real Pink Floyd since Barrett got booted out, since he was the one that came up with the Pink Floyd name, and he was the chief songwriter and lead guitarist in the beginning.

Favorite VH Album

women and children first
    Favorite VH Song

humans being
    Last Online

02.10.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ya know I am a real big fan of Roger Waters and I think the Radio KAOS album is one of the best recordings ever made, but to say The Floyd is not the Floyd without him ( to me ) is wrong. The band has evolved and is still in a category all by themselves. Seeing them live on a number of occasions PROVES to me at least, that they are still incredible. The argument is not black and white- it's Pink...

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

There's some good stuff on A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and even The Division Bell (what's that deal at the end with "Charlie", though?), but it's definitely missing the edge that Roger Waters brought to the table. That being said, The Final Cut seems also lacking of input from David Gilmour and in some ways sounds less of a Pink Floyd album than the ones without Waters. They just need to reunite and do it right.

Anyway, anyone have Echoes yet? I'm curious to know if the songs are segued together in typical Pink Floyd fashion, or if there is actually a discernable beginning and ending to each song (and silence in between)?

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Ford
    You are a true meatball.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium