Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

NAPSTER has a place on there where you can write your congressmen/women with your thoughts on the NAPSTER situation. Here's what I sent to my three congressmen:

Dear Sirs:

I hope that should you be called to act on legislation involving the music file sharing service NAPSTER, that you will act in the best interest of music fans. The record companies have no problem convincing some bands that we are stealing money from their pockets, but unless someone is downloading the files and reselling them, using this service is little different than calling a radio station and getting a song played. If you do decide to act against NAPSTER, please take the following things into consideration:

The record companies told us years ago that once CDs became more mass-produced, that the price would go down. Now they might be able to argue that because of inflation or whatever, they actually have, but it's not like they led us to believe.

Second, when I like a band, I (and many other fans) like to get all of their music - and the record companies know this, so they release singles with bonus tracks not found on the album, and as of late they've started the practice of releasing two versions of the single, each with different bonus tracks, and only available as a higher priced import to boot. So in other words, I might get the album on sale for 13 dollars, but then to get the 4 new songs only available on the single (2 on each version), I have to shell out $10 each, so after the first single I've spent $33 so far for the album and 4 more songs I couldn't get otherwise. If an album has 4 or 5 singles, this can get quite costly, and I have to consider my family these days. So who is stealing from who there?

Also, there are still many albums out there that aren't available on CD, or that were once available, but have since have been pulled. Warner Brothers, for instance, has two of David Lee Roth's albums on ice, unavailable for purchase. Where's their concern for the artist's right to make money there?

If the record companies are so against NAPSTER, why don't they open up their ENTIRE song library themselves and make it available for purchase - either on the original CDs or a customised song selection that the fan can create himself for a reasonable price per song or CD. Some companies do sell custom CDs, but the song selection available is not usually the cream of the crop. There's no reason for them not to make all of the songs they have rights to available if they want to maximize their profits.

Hopefully you will act for music fans everywhere in this matter, and even if you act in favour of the record companies, hopefully it will be with the provision that they stop the practices listed above.

Thank you for your attention.

What do y'all think?

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very good letter, and well-written with examples to prove your arguement...

------------------
    "My belligerent enthusiasm is as optimistic as ever" - DLR

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:55 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Good letter man, and the DLR example was excellent, and I totally forgot about that angle. Good work.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Excellent letter. The point about radio stations is extremely valid as well. In fact, many of us who work in radio have discussed this point quite a bit. If you think about it, there really is NO difference in requesting song X from your local station then recording it onto tape. In fact, one of my sticking points is that if record companies want to stop the file transferring and swapping, they need to attack themselves...after all, some of these big record companies are also suppliers of blank media (ie: cassettes, CD's, discs, etc).

I hope someone on Capitol Hill reads this letter and acts on it.

------------------
    "Whenever we come to Milwaukee, we try and have a special surprise for you here and tonite we got a whole sh*tload of 'em for you and right now, we want to whip the first one at you here! Y'know, usually Ed doesn't sing this part of the song and when he does tonight for the first time, you'll find out why!"

-David Lee Roth, Milwaukee 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

That's a fine letter, billy007.

Well thought out and should get the point across to Congress. Let's hope so, anyway.

Excellent work.

------------------
    I'm a Dirty Faced Kid...but not necessarily in a garbage can.

No news is good news. Reunion news is better news.

Strange is beautiful.

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Speaking of Napster and radio, there was a very good example here in Hawaii about how Napster can help sell a record. Although many of you might not care for the music by Shaggy, Napster helped turn his record into a big hit. Last year, his album was released with little record company support, and it was basically going nowhere. Meanwhile, a radio station DJ here in Hawaii found a song off that album on Napster and started playing it on the air. The song, "It Wasn't Me" eventually created a buzz in radio and on the charts, and the song eventually made its way into the Billboard top 10. So basically, it all started because the song was on Napster. Unfortunately, Shaggy's record hit it big now and we subjected to that awful Juice Newton cover song now......The record companies could use Napster to their advantage, by doing stuff like leaking out new music and creating interest etc. I just think they're pissed because they fell behind the technology.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

09.26.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 76 Posts

Great letter, I totally agree with you. BTW, I posted a topic in the Non-Music forum about the whole Napster thing.

Have you noticed that there are hardly any artists who are complaining about Napster? There are only the recording companies which are afraid that they can't make easy money anymore.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

This letter today from Representative Ric Keller, one of the three congressmen I wrote to:

"Dear Mr. W.:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Napster.

As this matter has largely been handled by the courts, I do not believe that it is appropriate for me to comment on an ongoing case.

As a member of the Courts, Internet and Intellectual Property subcommittee, I expect to hear and learn a great deal about the issues surrounding the Napster case. However, until the proceedings run their due course in the courts, I feel it is best for me to refrain from judgment (sic). Therefore I believe that Congress should avoid any premature legislative action in this area.

Thank you again for contacting me. I look forward to hearing from you on other matters of interest or concern."

Well, gee, Ric - trying to get Time Warner cable to pick up Fox Sports Net - can you do anything there?

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!