Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:13 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Rock and Roll all but died around 1993.

Back then it was Kurt Kobain Mania (I can still not understand why), PEARL JAM was still "good",
    Alice & Chains started to break apart, Soundgarden was probably the best around (of the newer bands), GnR was self destructing fast, Metallica went commercial (was never their style), Aerosmith hung on by going POP, Boy bands were emerging once again, and rap took on a new name called hip-hop, and the worst was yet to come. Rock became Rap-Rock, or CRAP for short.

A few bands still managed to stay true and keep their roots in place, Megadeth, Rage Against the Machine, and even Motley Crue (though they briefly had a different singer and got a new drummer. but musically they never "sold out".)

Now fast forward to late 2001 almost 2002.

I can say that there are only a few bands that still ROCK.
    One still rocks and actually has awesome sales.
    That band is CREED. Say what you want about them, but they are a damn good band and IMO opinion are the only band carrying the Rock & Roll Torch so to speak. They are saving us from the shit bands like Limp Dicksuk and KornHole.
    Don't bring in bands like Nickleback, or 3 Doors Down because in a year or two we will have already forgotten them. I have seen bands come and go quicker than it takes for a crap to flush down the toilet. Most of the bands we hear today will be in the sewer tomorrow.

For that, I can say this to the Creed bashers, thank God that they are here right now.
    By the middle of 2002, things will change for the better in the music industry.

PEACE & Happy Holidays [img]smile.gif[/img]

Eddymon
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I'm really seeing a pattern now!

The fake band lovers!

You like Creed who is a fake Pearl Jam

and you like Van Hagar who is a fake Van Halen

[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

Honestly????

They suck bad & they'll disappear within a couple of years (Thank God).

No offense bro & have a great holiday.

M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:13 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rod Dangle:
    Honestly????

They suck bad & they'll disappear within a couple of years (Thank God).

No offense bro & have a great holiday.

<hr></blockquote>

This is what their 3rd album?
    and they keep on getting bigger and bigger.

I will admit that I like them alot. But I don't and never will put them in Van Halen's class.

And Hain, there is no pattern.
    Creed is NOT a Pearl Jam clone.
    Pearl Jam's best album was TEN. They have gone downhill ever since. Creed has gone uphill.
    Stapp might sound a bit like Vedder, but the band rocks alot more harder. and they aren't so damn depressed about making rock & roll.

Van Hagar was NOT a fake Van Halen.
    Was Eddie & Alex not in the band?
    Was it;
    Sammy Hagar....Vocals
    Michael Anthony.....Bass & Background vocals
    Ray Luzier.....Drums & Percussion
    Bart Walsh....Guitar

The answer is NO. So then it was VAN HALEN.

But when Dave gets Luzier and Walsh we are supposed to believe that THAT is Van Halen?
    I don't think that Dave ever made us want to believe that.
    Much like Van Hagar didn't try to be Van Roth.
    2 different bands.

Much like comparing The Beatles with the Rolling Stones. Two different bands but great in their own right.

[ December 10, 2001 at 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Eddymon ]</p>
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Eddymon:
    This is what their 3rd album?<hr></blockquote>

and that means what???

As soon as most of their 16 yr. old fan base grows up, they'll just fade away, it's all downhill from here. That's what happens when "Flavors of the Day" hit their peak.

By the way, 'Ten' wasn't PJ's best album, that honor belongs to 'vs.'

M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As soon as most of their 16 yr. old fan base grows up, they'll just fade away, it's all downhill from here. That's what happens when "Flavors of the Day" hit their peak.<hr></blockquote>

I wonder, how many people in their late 20s and early 30s said the same thing about Van Halen when WACF came out.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ok, if this is the honesty thread......Creed totally sucks [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hain23x:
    I'm really seeing a pattern now!

The fake band lovers!

You like Creed who is a fake Pearl Jam

and you like Van Hagar who is a fake Van Halen

[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    <hr></blockquote>And all these people paying money to see Dave and his pretend Van Halen. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stuff No More:

I wonder, how many people in their late 20s and early 30s said the same thing about Van Halen when WACF came out.
    <hr></blockquote>

How can you even compare the 2 bands?? Creed will never have the career VH has had, they won’t even come close. By the time WACF was coming out they were already a force to be reckoned with. As we all know Eddie single handily changed the way guitar was played, every front man wanted & tried unsuccessfully to be Dave.

What has Creed done??? They had a couple of cheesy songs that made it big on the Top 40 chart, all the while sounding exactly like a bad version of Pearl Jam. How hard is that?? Titney Spears has had a couple of tunes make it on the Top 40. Does that mean she’s going to be around for 20 yrs. like Madonna?? I kind of doubt it.

Trust me in 3 or 4 yrs. Creed will be nothing but a bad memory.

M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Big Trouble
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:58 AM
    Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts

yeah i'm a little sick of Creed's self-righteous shit myself

although i would have love to see Scott Stapp kick the crap out of no talent scumbag Fred Durst

i'm actually really interested in seeing what Rage...well not Rage...but the 3 remaining members of Rage and Cris Cornell will sound like...

Late.
    Kosovo Je Srbija

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.19.12 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Creed....flavor of the day????

"My Own Prison" has been certified for 5 million sold by RIAA.

"Human Clay" has been certified for 10 million sold.

I'm sure they are pretty close to selling a million for their new album already and it's only been out 2 weeks or so. (They have been #1 for 2 weeks).

I am not a huge fan, liked their first album. Didn't really care for their 2nd, but I did see them in concert. Stapp had the entire 20,000 people eating out of his hand. I was blown away by his stage presence.

If they continue to grow, I think Creed will be around for awhile. They probably won't sell 5 million copies of every album, but I bet they continue to sell at least a million or two.

That being said.....I wish every fucking radio station in Phoenix didn't play them. It gets old listening to the same band every 20 minutes,
    except VH of course [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ December 10, 2001 at 05:07 PM: Message edited by: rxman ]</p>
    "The sound of Van Halen was meant to spill out, all over your stereo and ruin the rest of your record collection "...David Lee Roth

Check out one of the best bands to come out of Arizona. Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. www.rogerclyne.net

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How can you even compare the 2 bands?? Creed will never have the career VH has had, they won’t even come close. By the time WACF was coming out they were already a force to be reckoned with.<hr></blockquote>

Were they? Seeing as I was neigh 1 years old at the time of its release, I can't comment on it, but I'll just look at statistics:

I can't find any hard data on VH1 going 2x-4x platinum, but by 1984 it had reached 5x platinum (no doubt boosted by sales of 1984). I suppose that will lead me to assume that by 1980 it was at least 3x platinum.

VH2 didn't go 3x platinum until the 1984 boost of the back catalogue. I'll assume it reached 2x platinum and stalled out, if not safely by 1980, shortly thereafter.

WACF did not go 2x platinum until 1984. That's practically four full years it stalled at a million sales.

From the sales numbers alone, it seems early Van Halen was hardly a force to be reconed with, changing the face of rock music in 1980. It looks more like they were a semi-solid performer with an outstanding debut album and fast-dwindling sales thereafter.

Compare to Creed - 15 million albums sold not counting Weathered, 7 #1 songs on the mainstream rock chart, one of which hit #1 on the top 100 chart as well. Okay, I can't compare 1980 VH to Creed there, Creed has blown 1980 VH out of the water thus far.

Let's consider the musical influence then. Van Halen ultimately laid the guitar groundwork for what would grow into hair metal. But honestly Def Leppard was the first band to sound like hair metal, and Bon Jovi was the one that became the media darling. So yeah, Eddie did change rock guitar for the span of a decade.

Take Creed now. They're a straight-ahead rock group with a singer that definitely subscribes to the '90s vocals pattern. When Creed hit the scene in '97 rock was dead. Period. Their success paved the way for record execs taking chances on new rock acts. Basically, Creed intrinsically changed the face of rock music in making it a viable format once again.

Longevity is hard to prove - Creed could be gone tomorrow. If they can last 18 years in the public eye like Van Halen (14 more to go for Creed) then we can make a final comparison. But looking at 1980 Van Halen and 2001 Creed, I'd say Creed is equal to or outdoing 1980 Van Halen on every aspect.

Let's not let our personal VH biases color our understanding of the band in 1980. Hell, I'll be the first to say the idea of them struggling to sales any time before 1998 shocked the hell out of me
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Yeah, that's an easy one!
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 12:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great post, but I have to add my comments about Creed.

I think Creed is into the business for the money and not the music--hey, I can't blame 'em. But listen to their album, and then listen to the songs they play on the radio. Completely different, at least from what I've heard coming from my neighbor's house (I don't own a Creed cd, nor do I want to--but my neighbor plays it all the time)...a lot of the album is some pretty heavy (not metal, just hard rockin' tunes), but the majority of the songs they play on the radio were put on the album just to get airplay--softer, gentler, etc...sellouts, IMHO...but hey, to each his own, I guess...if I had a choice of being no one and making the music I wanted (also, I'd be poor then!) or had the chance to make some mainstream pop rock that would sell millions, I'd probably do it, too...at least until I was financially set.

I don't know, I could be wrong...but that's how I see it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    Were they? Seeing as I was neigh 1 years old at the time of its release, I can't comment on it, but I'll just look at statistics:

I can't find any hard data on VH1 going 2x-4x platinum, but by 1984 it had reached 5x platinum (no doubt boosted by sales of 1984). I suppose that will lead me to assume that by 1980 it was at least 3x platinum.

VH2 didn't go 3x platinum until the 1984 boost of the back catalogue. I'll assume it reached 2x platinum and stalled out, if not safely by 1980, shortly thereafter.

WACF did not go 2x platinum until 1984. That's practically four full years it stalled at a million sales.

From the sales numbers alone, it seems early Van Halen was hardly a force to be reconed with, changing the face of rock music in 1980. It looks more like they were a semi-solid performer with an outstanding debut album and fast-dwindling sales thereafter.

Compare to Creed - 15 million albums sold not counting Weathered, 7 #1 songs on the mainstream rock chart, one of which hit #1 on the top 100 chart as well. Okay, I can't compare 1980 VH to Creed there, Creed has blown 1980 VH out of the water thus far.
    <hr></blockquote>

First of all I don’t give a shit about record sales. To me that doesn’t make a band good or bad, maybe it does to you but not to me. Britney, N’Sync and the rest of their kind all sell a ton of records. That doesn’t mean shit except to the people who are getting a piece of the pie.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Let's consider the musical influence then. Van Halen ultimately laid the guitar groundwork for what would grow into hair metal. But honestly Def Leppard was the first band to sound like hair metal, and Bon Jovi was the one that became the media darling. <hr></blockquote>

Let’s talk about originality. Who did VH ever sound like???? Nobody......except VH.

Creed sounds like a poor imitation of Pearl Jam & Bush, with no originality whatsoever.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>So yeah, Eddie did change rock guitar for the span of a decade.<hr></blockquote>

Uhhhh yeah, Eddie is still influencing people to this day. That’s a little more than a decade.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Take Creed now. They're a straight-ahead rock group<hr></blockquote>

More like sappy.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>with a singer that definitely subscribes to the '90s vocals pattern.<hr></blockquote>

How original.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>When Creed hit the scene in '97 rock was dead. Period.<hr></blockquote>

Rock scene today is still dead.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Their success paved the way for record execs taking chances on new rock acts. Basically, Creed intrinsically changed the face of rock music in making it a viable format once again.<hr></blockquote>

LOL.....OK!

Do you think Creed will have the same staying power as VH? That they’ll be able to write good songs for over 20 yrs. like Eddie Van Halen has?

You actually think 10-15 years from now Creed will be looked upon as a great band or legends such as VH, Zep, The Stones etc.? Hell no, people will be making jokes & rolling their eyes at them, just like most people do when you mention hair-metal bands today. They’re basically a chick band, a Bon Jovi in today’s rock scene.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Longevity is hard to prove - Creed could be gone tomorrow. If they can last 18 years in the public eye like Van Halen (14 more to go for Creed) then we can make a final comparison. <hr></blockquote>

Maybe not tomorrow, probably next week.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>But looking at 1980 Van Halen and 2001 Creed, I'd say Creed is equal to or outdoing 1980 Van Halen on every aspect.<hr></blockquote>

Except for talent & heart.....Creed has neither.

Also you’re the one who started comparing 1980 VH to Creed. I could care less. Eddymon wanted an “honest” opinion of Creed, I gave it to him.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Let's not let our personal VH biases color our understanding of the band in 1980. Hell, I'll be the first to say the idea of them struggling to sales any time before 1998 shocked the hell out of me <hr></blockquote>

Like I said before I never cared about record sales. I’ve heard a lot of good bands that would smoke Creed & they don’t sell a ton of records. That’s a bullshit argument.

Creed is nothing but fluff with a whole lot of cheese.

M*U*L*E