Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've noticed in the past that many fans of U2 tend to disregard this album. I'm trying to figure out why?

I own a bunch of U2 albums:

War
    Boy
    The Joshua Tree
    Rattle And Hum
    AND
    Actung Baby

And I personally think Actung Baby is their Masterpiece!

So what are the reasons Actung Baby is usually not regarded highly by U2 fans?
    Is it because it was conidered U2's "Black Album" ? that is, considered by hardcore fans to be their "Sellout album"?

that couldn't be it though, as The Joshua Tree a few years earlier was a HUGE selling album to the masses.

So what gives?

Last Online

09.14.15 @ 07:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love Actung Baby, my 2nd favorite album behind Joshua Tree.

------------------
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule!

Proud member of the Dirty Faced Kids!

Up The Irons!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm not a huge U2 fan, but I consider Achtung Baby to be, far and away, the best album they've ever done. Not a bad song on there, and the production is amazing.

Of course, I also love Rattle and Hum, which seems to get disregarded by many, so what do I know.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hear ya Glenn. Rattle And Hum is my 2nd favorite and almost everyone I know says it is awful. I don't understand why...

So I ask again, why do some U2 fans (and I KNOW I have seen some who give Actung less then flattering critiques) think this album is so bad?

FORD, I know you're a U2 fan, your thoughts on this? Just curious....

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:29 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Short answer: not a damn thing!

Details - second favourite album to The Joshua Tree - I just feel like everything works on this album - production is miles above their earlier stuff - not as muddy. Bono's singing is on throughout the album, the music is different then what we're used to (up to that time) but good, the lyrics are a little more optimistic and the tour to support it was a multimedia monster (not that that does anything for the album, per se, but it doesn't hurt the memories that go with it!)

------------------
    "I wanna live it up
    I'm gonna quit my job
    I'll tell the boss to..."

Eat Us And Smile!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Second fave here too, not sure I've heard anyone disregard it at all, I thought it was pretty much the general consensus

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I must be going crazy I guess.

I coulda sworn there were some U2 fans saying it was one of their least favorite U2 albums....

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My personal view:

Because Joshua Tree blew my mind so much that Achtung Baby was a heavy letdown in comparison.

I suppose it's okay, but it just doesn't grab me the same way. U2 started straying from their formula here and I haven't really been in to them since, which is part of the reason why I'm so hesitant about their new one.

Zooropa - Eh
    Pop - Bleh
    Sweetest Thing - Bleh

See the trend?

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I always thought that U2 fans loved Achtung, and really disliked Zooropa.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What U2 did with Achtung Baby was totally reinvent themselves. Not that all of the music was completely different. "One", the album's biggest single, could have easily fit on "The Joshua Tree".

U2 found themselves in a strange position at the end of 1989. They had been tagged "the band of the 80's" by Rolling Stone, MTV, and other media types. In the 80's a title like that could be a blessing, but as soon as it becomes 1990, if you're still the "band of the 80's", it's a curse.

The band, especially Bono, had hinted in interviews on the Joshua Tree tour that they were tired of being "the band with a conscience" and seen as spokesmen for Amnesty International and other similar groups. Bono said in one interview "I'm gonna put on some Lurex socks, buy some leather pants, wear shades and write songs about sockin it to my baby. Then maybe life will be a whole lot easier for U2."

That was in 1987. Look at the Fly personna from Zoo TV and see how similar it turned out.

Luckily, I heard the Achtung Baby demo tape several months before the album came out, so the musical direction wasn't a shock to me. Overall, I would say the musical change wasn't any more than the change from War to the Unforgettable Fire. I think it was more the subject matter change that caught a lot a lot of the U2 fans by surprise. No longer were Bono's lyrics all about God and politics. Some people called that a sellout. I didn't. And since I've got U2 recordings dating back to 1978, I can say that there wasn't just one drastic style change in the band. It's been a continuous evolution.

Though I can't say the new album really rocks I can say that U2 is back on the track that they jumped off with the POP Cd.

Achtung Baby still ranks in their top 5, in my opinion.

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country
    EUAS 2001 : The Wrath of Roth

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    My personal view:

Sweetest Thing - Bleh

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't care for the Sweetest Thing remake either. The original version (87 b-side) was much better.

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country
    EUAS 2001 : The Wrath of Roth

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the thoughtful post FORD.
    I guess that's what I was looking for man. A well thought out "roadmap" so to speak of U2's continuing evolution and their fan's reaction to that evolution...

I for one have been into U2 since I first heard "War" on a record player at a party in high school. And I have liked them ever since...

I haven't picked up the new album yet, but it's only a matter of time...

My favorite albums by them in this order:

1. Actung Baby (unusual for me, cause usually the FIRST thing I hear from a band is always my favorite)
    2. War
    3. The Joshua Tree
    4. Boy
    5. Rattle And Hum (A lot of people don't like this one, I do...)
    6. The Unforgettable Fire
    7. October
    And then down the list from there....

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You want some reasons, then here I are
    My fav U2 record is, as you may suppose, War. War is their masterpiece, just for the power, the raw soundings, The Edge's guitar sound (that became their trademark sound), Bono's incredible lyrics.
    The lyrics got even better with The Unforgettable Fire, A Sort of Homecoming, Pride, MLK, the music was a great followup, even if darker.
    The Joshua Tree showed how they were able to clean their sound to forge some of the beautiful ballads ever. I still haven't found, Where the streets have no name, With or Without You are songs everyone knows. Rattle and Hum was the sum of those, showing how they were eclectic to play with B.B.King, a Beatles song, gospels and etc. Great record indeed, but more showing their roots than where they were.
    Achtung Baby is a good record compared to what came after (Zooropa and Pop), but it didn't have anymore any sort of power. Songs like One could have easily fit on Joshua Tree, like FORD said, but songs like The Fly and Mysterious Ways could have easily fit into Duran Duran's Wild Boys (and leave alone those awful remixes). Numb? Good video, but come on! Reinvent themselves is a bit too much, considered their sound became almost totally electronic, The Edge's trademark guitar sound has gone nowhere, and the power in Bono's voice too.
    This is why I don't consider Achtung Baby a masterpiece, but a way to "recreate" a band that had great ideas regarding sounds and lyrics, but not about music. The best and more creative years were split among the first five records. Then came some good material, but they missed a lot of energy. No one of the last four records has a rocker like Sunday Bloody Sunday or Bullet the Blue Sky, and will never have. Times have changed and U2 too.
    Another thing that scares me to death is their refuse (ok, Bono's...) to sing Sunday Bloody Sunday live anymore. They once declared to the Italian press they don't play it anymore because they don't agree anymore with the lyrics. This is a show of coherence displayed by a band that did everything to keep themselves on the top. Of the world, and the charts.
    I still remember when Bono climbed the stage just to firmly plant the Irish flag back in US83. 11 O'Clock, Gloria, Sunday Bloody Sunday, a lot of songs that will remain in my memory as the true U2 sound.
    And, btw, this is the second time they try to promote their new record telling everyone they're goin' back to the original sound, and this is the second time there's too little truth in it. Is this a band that wants to go forward or are they lookin' back and not able to recreate that sound? They reinvented themselves, there was no need to go back I believe.
    I listened to the new record five times. No masterpiece, no Joshua Tree or War sounds, sometimes I can hear The Edge play guitar, like in Beautiful Day, sometimes I hear the evolution of Pop. Good work, but why the fuck did they say this was a return to their original sound?
    And I'm not telling they sold-out... I'm only stating their change of sound didn't produce a true rocker since 1990....

------------------
    Right Now How Many Say I Can't Get This Stuff No More - ddregs

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:29 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FORD:

Luckily, I heard the Achtung Baby demo tape several months before the album came out, so the musical direction wasn't a shock to me.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How'd you manage that - there was no napster then!
    I agree that they've changed a little bit from album to album, or at least every couple of albums - War doesn't sound much like Boy and The Joshua Tree sure doesn't sound like War.
    As for "Sunday Bloody Sunday", Edge performed it solo when I saw them in Miami on the POPMART tour, but nothing will ever compare to the performance in "Rattle & Hum" anyway. I'd like to see them recycle through some different older songs like "Out of Control" or playing "October" before "New Year's Day" again. Saw they played "Surrender" at a taping in Los Angeles, today I think - hope that's a good sign. I'm one of the few people I guess who likes Pop, too - took awhile, but the songs grew on me one by one - except "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" - maybe if I could hear and understand what he was singing without having to consult my lyric book! But "Mofo", "Gone", "Last Night On Earth", "Please", "If God Will Send His Angels", "Staring At The Sun" and others rule. But that has nothing to do with Achtung Baby. I read there's supposed to be an "Achtung baby" somewhere in "The Fly" - but I've never heard it. I think it's supposed to be right when Edge is getting into his solo.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love Actung Baby!!!!!!!

------------------
    What is understood need not be discussed.

Everybody is lookin´ for somethin´; somethin´ to fill in the holes...? is Van Halen right???

Strung Out Moderator

Visit: http://www.vanhalen2000.com.