Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - New Who Album In the Works, Says Townshend
    12/27/2002

(12/27/02, 10 a.m. ET) -- The Who is planning its first studio album of all-new material in two decades, which could see release sometime in 2003, according to guitarist Pete Townshend.

Townshend will be writing some material with the only other surviving member of the group, singer Roger Daltrey, who is not known for penning any songs for the band in the past. In a posting on his official website (petetownshend.co.uk) titled "Resolution," the rock icon says, "Met with Roger last week--he had been traveling a fair bit and it was the first time we actually got to sit and talk. We had a great lunch, and a very warm meeting."

Townshend explains he is trying "to write some good pieces (I hesitate to say 'songs' in case people think I have ceased to be pretentious) for a new album. I believe it is a tough time to write new music. Even younger musicians I speak to feel burdened by what has gone before."

"I have never written quickly," Townshend adds. "I don't know how long it will take. Expect some new music to arrive in about a year, maybe later. But if I write 15 good pieces, and 10 of them make it to a new CD, we will probably find that only two or three of them will stand comparison on stage with our old hits. So--doubtful as I am that we will sell over a million records ever again--it will be a lot of work to achieve little when we look back at our first 18 years."

"I think it will be worth the time spent," Townshend says of writing with Daltrey. "I am very keen too to see Roger find some creative outlet on this future Who recording. He is full of ideas, passion and energy--he bears quite a disturbed and serious view of the world at the moment. If only I can persuade him to watch that ball."

The posting also says that the Who is "being courted by charity show organizers, and we are driven towards supporting our own familiar charity events. We are also receiving tempting offers to play festivals, and enjoying the more honest lure of having such a great band to call on whenever we feel like playing."

Townshend told LAUNCH in a previous interview that creating a new studio album by the Who after all these years might not be the same as going out on tour. "What's interesting now is for us to be able to look at that and extrapolate it back, you know, take it back and filter it back into our own experience of what the band is. But when it comes to it, what we do is we show up, we walk on the stage, and we play. And that bit so far has been easy, enjoyable, and really fun. I don't know about the studio bit--that may be easy and fun as well. You know, who knows?"

The Who's last studio album of new songs was 1982's It's Hard, though a series of 1990s reissues did see a trickling of some previously unreleased material that had been recorded in the late 1970s and early '80s, following the death of original drummer Keith Moon.

The group completed its most recent North American tour in October, which began shortly after the death of founding bassist John Entwistle in late June in Las Vegas, Nevada. Bassist Pino Palladino, a veteran of Townshend solo album studio sessions, and drummer Zak Starkey, the band's official basher since the mid-'90s, augmented the lineup. Townshend has not said if the musicians will play on the new recordings.

In other additional news, performances from the band's 2000 Teenage Cancer Trust benefit concert at London's Royal Albert Hall will be issued in March of 2003 as a two-CD set from the SPV label. The charity show, already available on a DVD release, included numerous guest singers on Who songs, including Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, Noel Gallagher from Oasis, and former Jam and Style Council leader Paul Weller. The new CD set will also feature a four-track bonus disc drawn from the Who's concert at Albert Hall in 2002, featuring the group's "I Don't Even Know Myself" and "I'm Free," plus its longtime cover staples "Summertime Blues" and "Young Man Blues."

-- Darryl Morden, Los Angeles and Gary Graff, Deroit

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Geez, Pete...just record it and quit analyzing it. We all know that rock doesn't sell as well as it used to with the current crap trends out there, but either you enjoy making music or you don't.

Hard to believe that "It's Hard" was their last all-new album. Wow, time flies. (Can anyone say "Thriller". ouch )

I'd love to hear it, despite my aggravtion with Pete's dismal and eccentric attitude. [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

[ January 01, 2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Wolfman ]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The tour should have been cancelled!

A new album bearing the Who name shouldn't even be considered!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd have to agree with Glenn. With Entwistle gone, it would be hard to listen to a new album and consider it "The Who". I'm glad they were able to push on without him, but they should have postponed the tour until they formed a new identity with a new bass player and weren't so hasty to get on with that tour.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Wolfman:
    they should have postponed the tour until they formed a new identity with a new bass player and weren't so hasty to get on with that tour.
    At least until now, they have been a band that gets by entirely on their past song history, which hasn't been added to in 20 years. Therefore I don't think there's ANY amount of time that would allow them to form a new identity with a new member.

It's over for them, it's a shame they don't realize it!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Probably true. You're too damn smart for your own good, bro. LOL

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Wolfman:
    You're too damn smart
    "And the lie detector determined that that was a lie!!"-Maury Povich

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Glenn:
    The tour should have been cancelled!

A new album bearing the Who name shouldn't even be considered!
    The tour should not have been cancelled!! I seen it, and they were simply amazing! Ive seen them 3 times, and the last was by far the best! And they can't use any other name, it just doesnt work like that. They would sell nothing with a different name. They obviously want to record new music, so why should we say they can't use the original band name? The album won't sell without it.
    I am awesome

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Okay, what if Roger dies? We all know he hasn't written shit for the Who. Pete is the architect right down to demoing the songs by himself with every instrument. So given that, if Roger goes next, should Pete continue on as The Who?

Come on, when is enough enough? Keith was an extremely distinctive instrumentalist, yet they continued on without him. Fine. Now John is gone, and he was also an extremely distinctive instrumentalist. This was a band that thrived on the give and take between the four members once the material was presented. Now it's lost an entire half. Is that still the Who?

[ January 01, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

As far as the tour goes, if Roger had died on the eve of the tour, should Pete and John have gone ahead with it? If Pete had died, should Roger and John have gone ahead with it?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Townshend cracks me up. He's the ultimate cranky old bastard. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

In regards to the tours... In the end people are enjoying the shows apparantly. If they really felt they were getting gypped (!) they would just speak with their feet. They arnt pulling a KISS© and dressing people up to look like someone else. Everyone knows half the origional bands karked it. It's kinda like a philharmonic orchesta now, with musicians filing in and out seemingly at will!! But it's no big secret so I guess supply and demand rules here.

As for new material.. I guess in a utopia like existence, they could call it 'Townshend/Daltrey', and it would sell based on it's merits as an album. Unfortunatly we don't live in that world so they're gonna call it 'the who' to flog a few more copies. Petes pretty open about the fact he's quite mercenary when it comes to making a dollar.

Interestingly I remember reading one of Petes rant's prior to Entwistles death where he spoke about the prospect of making a new Who album, he kinda said 'well Roger wants to do it, and I think he needs the money so whatever. It'll probably be shit though'..LOL. Wonder if he's still peddling that line now it's moving into the realms of reality?
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Ugh, "Townsend/Daltrey". That brings to mind such crap as "Shaw/Blades", "Coverdale/Page", and recently that I'm embarrassed to say that I bought: "Wetton/Downes". For some odd reason I used to be a huge "Asia" fans back in the 80's and I now find their music unlistenable. This particular record came out that has songs these two recorded as songs that didn't make the cut for Asia and it's apparent why.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    I agree it sounds pretty shit. It's just an hypothetical example. they might wanna call it 'turd on a stick'.. I dunno.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Originally posted by FH:
    Ugh, "Townsend/Daltrey". That brings to mind such crap as "Shaw/Blades", "Coverdale/Page", and recently that I'm embarrassed to say that I bought: "Wetton/Downes". For some odd reason I used to be a huge "Asia" fans back in the 80's and I now find their music unlistenable. This particular record came out that has songs these two recorded as songs that didn't make the cut for Asia and it's apparent why.
    I have Shaw/Blades and Coverdale/Page they are both amazing! [img]tongue.gif[/img] You are right about Asia though, they suck! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I liked about half of the Coverdale/Page CD. Shaw/Blades I haven't heard.

I think it's doubtful that any "new Who music" will stand up next to the old stuff. With that in mind they should have packed it up years ago.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."