Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

I know that a lot of people around here never heard of Gov't Mule but there are a few here that know of 'em. If you haven't heard yet, the bass player Allen Woody died saturday morning. As of right now, no official word on the cause of death, all I know is that he died in his sleep, he was 44.
    If you've never heard Allen Woody he was probably one of the best bass players EVER!!! I would put him up there with John Paul Jones, Billy Sheahan(sp?) & Steve Harris......I just thought I'd share this with any Mule fans here, that have not heard this terrible news.

Later

------------------
    "We'll just blaze on & make the best possible music we can...Hopefully the fans will like everything we do."
    EVH-1986

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Man, that SUCKS!

He was a great bassist - and Warren Haynes is a great, great guitarist - one of the absolutely best slide guitarists around.

It saddens me to hear this...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

man, a buddy of mine told me about this earlier

it's a tragic loss

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man I hate to hear that!!! I really like Gov Mule!! Its a big time loss!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

I found this article about Allen & Charlie Parker at a Jazz site (kinda long but interesting).

August 29, 2000
    Woody joins Bird in the great beyond

By JOHN SWENSON
    Jazze.com Senior Editor NEW YORK—Allen Woody died in a Long Island hotel room last Saturday, a damn lousy place to check out. He was a great bassist who played with dynamism and rhythmic elasticity, as good a rock player texture-wise as anyone on the genre’s history and a keen improvisor inspired by Charles Mingus, John Coltrane and Charlie Parker. He gave his sidekick, the virtuoso guitarist Warren Haynes, everything he could handle from a creative standpoint and everything he needed from the pivot point in the trio he and Haynes formed with drummer Matt Abts, Govt Mule. Woody and Haynes had it all – tremendous power from both sides of the plate and a touch as sure and delicate as a Luis Aparicio to Nellie Fox double play. Woody spent most of his career in the shadow of poseurs who couldn’t bring the hammer down but always looked good in the video. He didn’t care because the payoff was in the creative interplay, first with the Allman Brothers, then with Govt Mule. Though his albums are filed under rock in the record stores, he was also a great blues and jazz player, exploring modal improvisational realms and playing with Parkeresque dexterity. The band’s fascination with jazz is reflected in its compositions “Kind of Bird,” “Trane,” “Dolphineus,” “Thelonius Beck” and an epic cover of “Afro Blue.” Parker himself would have been 80 today and wouldn’t that have been something? Talk about great minds that could have made a difference over time. But even in death Parker looms over the musical landscape of the last 50 years, not just in the obvious ways, either. For example, his “Now’s the Time” groove became the blueprint for the proto-rock & roll hit “The Hucklebuck,” and John McLaughlin coined a fusion highlight by transposing Parker solos to electric guitar with the Mahavishnu Orchestra. They flocked to Marcus Garvey park Saturday and Tompkins Square park Sunday to pay tribute to Parker, and his memory was suitably invoked by a near-contemporary of Bird’s, saxophonist James Moody, a venerable jazz player who did make it to Y2K. And while Moody has his own bag, he knows how to bring the voodoo down, closing out the memorial with Jon Faddis playing Dizzy Gillespie to his Bird on a phenomenal “Night in Tunisia.” Columbia radio station WKCR is concluding its annual 3-day birthday broadcast memorializing Lester Young and Parker tonight at 9:30. During a section called “Bird South of the Border” aired earlier today a tape of Symphony Sid interviewing Parker about his work with Machito was played. Sid suggested that Bird was putting a more commercial spin on bop, and Bird replied, “Bop is just a term. It’s all music.”
    Parker knew better than anyone that musical creativity is about transcending categories, not building them. It’s a message that Woody, and many other great musicians, have taken to heart. We’re all the better for it, if we only take the time to really listen.

Later

------------------
    "We'll just blaze on & make the best possible music we can...Hopefully the fans will like everything we do."
    EVH-1986

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

Gov't Tragedy: Warren Haynes Ponders Life Without Woody.

The future of Gov't Mule remains uncertain following the Aug. 26 death of bassist Allen Woody, who was found by a chambermaid in a Queens, NY hotel the morning of a scheduled flight to his Tennessee home.

Meanwhile, a Sept. 21 benefit concert, "One For Woody," featuring the Allman Brothers Band and Warren Haynes and Friends, has been slated for New York's City's Roseland Ballroom. Others on the bill include members of the Black Crowes and Phil
    Lesh, among others. Net proceeds will go to an educational fund for Woody's daughter, Savannah. Guitarist/vocalist Haynes says it's too soon to think about whether Gov't Mule will seek a replacement for Woody or officially call it quits. "I don't know what we're gonna do," Haynes said from Marin County, Calif., where he was rehearsing
    with Lesh for a full month of October tour dates. "We had worked really hard over the past five-and-a-half years to build it to where it is now. I'm not ruling out anything, but Gov't Mule was built around
    the chemistry between me and Woody and Matt [Abts]. And to consider continuing Gov't Mule with another person or persons would change everything about the sound of the band. I'm not gonna make any decisions for quite some time."

It remains unknown what claimed the life of Woody, whose funeral was held earlier this month in Hermitage, Tenn. An autopsy was deemed inconclusive. There were no signs of trauma and no drugs were found, according to police.

Gov't Mule, which enjoyed a successful summer swing with Steve Miller, last played together Aug.19 at the Bayou Blues Festival at Croton Point Park on New York's Hudson River. The band had more dates scheduled for September, all of which have been canceled. In November, they were set to hit the road opening for Ben Harper. The status of those scheduled shows remains unclear.

Woody's death has stunned members of the band's camp, especially Haynes, with whom Woody played more than 1,000 gigs during the last 12 years in Gov't Mule and the Allman Brothers Band. "I felt like, in both bands, it just got better all the
    time," Haynes said. "In Gov't Mule, I think the last two or three tours that we did were the best tours that we've ever done. I think the band had hit a whole new stride. It was something that we had acknowledged and talked about. To lose Woody anytime would be a horrendous blow, but to lose him
    right now, when things were really moving forward and upward, is just really hard. We were starting to get a glimpse of what we were capable of."

At the time of Woody's death, Haynes said, the band was mixing a trio of upcoming releases, including Wintertime Blues: A Benefit Concert (highlights from an annual charity gig that Haynes spearheads each year in his hometown of Asheville, NC); a live instrumental jazz record with guitarist John Scofield; and a live traditional blues album with Little Milton. Woody's fat, fury-toned
    rock 'n' roll bass sound is featured on all three.

"As a person, he was a sweetheart," Haynes said. "He was someone that was always pouring his heart out. He wore his heart on his sleeve - that could be both good and bad. He was an extremely close friend for the past 12 years... He could just make you laugh at the drop of a hat, an extremely quick wit. "As a musician, he had the rare gift of being able to improvise by the seat of his pants," Haynes said. "He'd just react to what was going on, all the time. It's such a beautiful gift to have. It was all just instinct to him... You only find a handful of musicians in your life that you can play with and not have to speak about what you're doing."

Later

------------------
    EVH-1986