Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can someone answer these question for me.
    1. It's a known fact that MP3 format is not the same quality as standard CD recordings because it's compressed. However if you download an MP3 format song and then burn it to a CD-r without the .MP3 file extension. Does it come back to the orginal quality do to the fact the MP3 compression is removed? I've compared MP3 down loaded songs which I've recorded without the MP3 extension to a standard CD format of the same songs and I could not hear any difference in quality.
    2. Does the sound normalizer in CD burnware like Roxio normalize the sound on different recordings for both MP3 and standard CD-r recordings?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Take \'yer pick
    Favorite VH Song

Take \'yer pick
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Won't get technical, cause it's the weekend, but a mp3 file burned onto cd is still the same compressed file, ext name or not. It's not "cd quality." But if the file doesn't have any common mp3 errors like pops and clicks and is sampled at a descent bit rate (128 to 160), and provided you're not an audiophile, I doubt that you'd be able to tell the difference.
    "My heroes have always been David Lee Roth, Archie Bunker, and anyone who has ever agreed with me." - Me

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, so why is it that if you leave the MP3 extension on the song when you burn it,that it will not play in a CD player that can't play MP3 format? If you remove the .MP3 extension the CD will play in a CD player that accepts CD-r's? Something has got to change?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    An Audio CD is burned in a different format to a data disk (which is effectively a disc full of .mp3 tracks)

THe songs are uncompressed on an audio disk - however they'll retain any losses sustained in the process of making them an mp3.

On a 128 b/r MP3 you may be able to hear the effect of compression (especially on drum cymbals and things) but on a 160+ mp3 your gonna be pushing it
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Vince:
    Ok, so why is it that if you leave the MP3 extension on the song when you burn it,that it will not play in a CD player that can't play MP3 format? If you remove the .MP3 extension the CD will play in a CD player that accepts CD-r's? Something has got to change?
    After you have downloaded all of your music, open up your CD Burner Software.

It should ask if you want to burn a CD as music or as a Data CD.

If you choose music.....your MP3's should be converted back to uncompressed WAV files, This is why you can only get 70 something minutes of music on a CD, becuase your dealing with uncompressed Wav files.

If you choose to burn it as a "Data CD".....it will burn your songs as MP3's, which are compressed and can only be played back on a systems that can play MP3's.

If you download songs at a lower bitrate, say like 128 or 192, just like Goo said, you may hear some differnce even after that MP3 is converted back into an uncompressed WAV file. Once you start with something that's shitty, there's really no way of improving it.

My advice, I download most at a bitrate of 320........which means they are very large files.......but at 320, I'm told........is CD quality. The fact that I'm using a Cable Modem helps with your talkin' bout file sizes approaching 15 megs on longer tunes.

BTW, someone feel free to correct me on this, I just kinda going with experiece and no technical background....
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks all, I understand it now.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Take \'yer pick
    Favorite VH Song

Take \'yer pick
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jimmy and Goo are dead on, Vince, but in my opinion downloading a song sampled at 320 is just overkill. It really comes down to personal preference. Here's an example. Let's say you're downloading off WinMX and you've got one song in mind that you really want, say "Ben" by Michael Jackson. You could download the song sampled at a bitrate of 160 which would be around 4 or 5 MB, or you could DL it at a bitrate of 320 which might be around 12 MB. Not only are you talking about a considerable amount of extra time to download the file, but depending on how the file was originally ripped, a 320 file has just as likely a possibilty to have that one click here and there as the 128 file does. In my opinion, once you transfer a song directly from a cd to a compressed file, you'll never truly have "cd quality." But it shouldn't really matter that much... if it sounds good, it is good.
    "My heroes have always been David Lee Roth, Archie Bunker, and anyone who has ever agreed with me." - Me

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    I think anything of 160 or more is fine, but thats just my ears lol. Personal preference

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a buddy at work bring in an article about this.

The conclusion was that only certain aspects a song may lack something because of the compression. It could be the cymballs......the bass guitar.......there's a few frequencies in the "spectrum" that may not be CD quality.

As far as having more "clicks" on a 320, you may be right......I've noticed some of that...I guess there's more to go wrong with a bigger file.

I do a lot of 192's and the quality seems to be the same as a 320. I guess if you throw it in Soundforge or someother program, you may see some differnce on a sound print, but hell the human ear isn't a computer, so go by what sounds good to your ear.

I only download 320's because of my Cable Modem.......I guess I am a Broadband Snob... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I got you guys on the line here, there is another issue I have in respect to my Car CD player, Soney Personal CD player and my home player and burned CD-r's. There are some MP3 songs that I download then burn to CD-r's. They sound fine and have no pops in the original MP3 download. However the Cd-r's play fine on my home, and Sony walkman Cd players however on my car Cd player which is advertised to play CD-r's sometimes have problems playing the same CD-r. There are dead spots or unreadable parts of the song. I always download MP3's at 128.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Take \'yer pick
    Favorite VH Song

Take \'yer pick
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't really know the technical answer to this one, other than sometimes some cdr's won't work with some players. It can depend on the actual brand of cd itself. I bought a spindle of Imation blank cds that play fine in my discman and in my car, but won't be recognized by my Denon cd player, or my dvd-rom on my computer. Sometimes, you can just get a bad batch of discs. You may want to try a different brand of discs. Stay away from the cheap ass semi-transparent cds. There is a reason why you can buy 50 of the for five bucks.

At what rate do you burn your cds? If you're burning them faster than 2x, that may explain why you are having pops on the cd, but not the actual file. Others may disagree, but I've worked enough around pro audio gear before that I truly believe that one should not be burning audio at 8x or 12x. Stick to 1x to 2x for audio. If you've ever seen a bee hive, you'll see that bees store their junk in little octagon shapes all over the hive. That's just how cd's work. Every tiny little hole holds data, when you burn audio at a faster rate, the chances of one of those holes being skipped is greater... that leads to skips, clicks and nasty tricks [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Yeh. I'd try differnt disks and slower speeds as cerebralmadness has stated - What colour is the surface of the disks your using. Uou'll have more problem with the 'blueish' tinged ones, try to get ones that are a gold/silver tint

It may be your player can't handle cd-r's, in which case your up the creek [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Here is a little something that I dug up that gives the whole lowdown. http://www.fliptech.net/bitrate.shtml

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Good article bro [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Goo:
    Yeh. I'd try differnt disks and slower speeds as cerebralmadness has stated - What colour is the surface of the disks your using. Uou'll have more problem with the 'blueish' tinged ones, try to get ones that are a gold/silver tint

It may be your player can't handle cd-r's, in which case your up the creek [img]smile.gif[/img]
    These were Memorex data CDr's, I burn at 4x, it's an external burner that only goes to 4x. I usually don't have problems but every now and again.