Favorite VH Album

Fraulines und Kinder First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Panzer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Incubus Eyes Contract End

LOS ANGELES - The rock band Incubus filed a lawsuit against Sony Corp in an attempt to break free from its contract that requires the group to make four more albums with the Sony's record company.

Band members Michael Einziger, Brandon Boyd, Jose Pasillas and Alex Katunich filed the suit Thursday in Superior Court. The band is asking a judge to rule that California's labor law allows them to stop recording for Sony and get a new deal from another label.

Incubus joins a growing list of music acts such as Don Henley, Beck, Courtney Love and the Dixie Chicks who have demanded the freedom to negotiate less restrictive deals to capitalize on their success. In many of the cases to date, settlements have been reached between the artists and record companies.

Incubus, which has sold an estimated 7 million albums and earned worldwide acclaim for their most recent album "Morning View," objects to Sony's common practice of deducting such costs as video production and packaging from the artists' cut, said band manager Steve Rennie.

"Under current standard industry practices, Sony Music has been handsomely rewarded financially during this period while the members of Incubus have received very little compensation from their creative and professional efforts," Rennie said. The core question, he added, is whether Incubus "is entitled to share fairly in the fruits of their labor going forward."

Sony responded to the lawsuit Thursday by issuing a statement saying, "We have the highest regard for Incubus and their music and take great pride in the work we have done together to build a worldwide audience for them. Incubus is signed to an exclusive recording contract with Sony Music."

The band wants the judge to exercise the state's so-called "seven-year statute," which states that most entertainers cannot be tied to any company for more than seven years. But major record labels won a legal battle that allows them to collect damages from musicians who fail to deliver promised albums.

Incubus believes it has met all of its obligations, even though its contract with Sony says it must make four more albums. The band reaches its seven-year anniversary with Sony this summer.
    Musical equipment I own dat legitimizes mein post. Tuba, clarinet, und electric glockenspiel.<br />Der Lord liebt einen beschäftigten Mann. Nicht vertrauen whitey. Sehen ein Doktor und erhalten gereinigt es.<br /><br />"You're a towel!" - Towelie

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Maybe something like this could be going on with VH as far as their contract with Ray Danniels. How many years would that mean we have left? And if you answer on this Schultz, please speak English, as my translator is out picking us up some gasmasks and protective gear at the Army surplus.
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Jeez, just think: you've signed a contract, you get a couple of records made. Your last album sold extremely well. You make some pretty good money. This band (they're "okay" in my book) better not count their chickens before they hatch, IMO. Put some years and records behind you before you attempt something as idiotic as this.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Panzer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by WARHEAD:
    Maybe something like this could be going on with VH as far as their contract with Ray Danniels. How many years would that mean we have left? And if you answer on this Schultz, please speak English, as my translator is out picking us up some gasmasks and protective gear at the Army surplus.
    The same thought crossed my mind regarding Daniels. I think it's something more and more bands will do, perhaps even more with bands whose corporations are based in California.

In my opinion, geting out of your contract at this precise moment, for Incubus, with the the "here today, gone later today" nature of music, is a great idea. Wait any longer and chances are your drawing power is gone. The record company has made their money - why not let the artist reap some rewards?

No need for der gas mask - just p into your handkerchief like der Tommies in the Great War!

[ February 07, 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: SgtSchultz ]
    Musical equipment I own dat legitimizes mein post. Tuba, clarinet, und electric glockenspiel.<br />Der Lord liebt einen beschäftigten Mann. Nicht vertrauen whitey. Sehen ein Doktor und erhalten gereinigt es.<br /><br />"You're a towel!" - Towelie

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Live performance is the wave of the future, monetarily speaking. You can thank Clear Channel and Kazaa for that (or so sez my Magic 8 Ball).

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Panzer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by cyberfiddl:
    Live performance is the wave of the future, monetarily speaking. You can thank Clear Channel and Kazaa for that (or so sez my Magic 8 Ball).
    Agreed, except that Clear Channel is now gobbling up more and more venues and controling tours too. Why don't we all just throw in the towel and submit to 1 band made up of Clear Channel execs with Yesmen as roadies.

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Completing the cycle of 3's, my amended motto is

FUCK Rolling Stone Magazine
    FUCK the Rock and Roll Hall OF Fame
    and
    FUCK Clear Channel

I could have lived the rest of my life with suits running and ruining most everything else at the same time, but if they go and fuck up the live music part of the deal, I may go off!
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some people have no clue.

With a great, great, great awesome, record deal, you might get ONE DOLLAR per album sold. Now, pay those you have to pay out of that (mangers, etc......), then split it between band members, and that's what you take home per record.

Not alot, is it? Incubus is complaining because out of their royalty rate, which is probably no where near a dollar per record for the band, the label is subtracting video costs, advertising, etc.

I bet they aren't making money, just like the goo goo dolls, who were over 300,000 dollars in debt the year after Name was the #1 song of the year. They got less than 13 cents per record sold, then divide that by three after paying your employees.

not so glamorous is it? Bands in teh past toured to sell a CD to make money. Now bands make CD's to tour to make money. Bottom line, recodr companies rape the artists. What I said above is the truth. Scary.

Songwriters have a seperate royalty rate. That is why Pete Townsend was rich, and the other two members of the Who needed tours, because they barely wrote any songs.

[ February 07, 2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: lovemachine97 ]