Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    From everywhere there\'s a beach, sand and a whole lotta woman in the sun.
    Favorite VH Album

All of them.... VH is GOOD!!
    Favorite VH Song

Eddie on guitar...\'nuff said.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let's just imagine for a moment What would have been if RR didn't passed away back in '81 and he would have still around with Ozzy or doing solo work.
    Do any of you here imagine what great battles these two incredible virtuoso guitarrist have had in the later years of their careers?

I really think that we would have better guitar player(s), if RR was still around!!

[ April 11, 2001 at 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Eddie's Monster ]
    Do you think we migth still have to wait anyway?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I truthfully love these guys but there would be no competition here. Had Randy lived,I think he would have been finished by the end of the 1980's. Although he was different in many ways, it is also safe to say that the majority of his Rock sound were quite similar to Eddie's whammy bar dives, harminics, squeals, and hammer ons. I think he would have been dismissed as an Eddie guitar clone and unless switched over to classical playing or another major band, he would have been obsolete. Love the guy, but I don't think I am wrong here.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.09.09 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I've read here lately, many of you were not old enough to be aware of what was going on in the late '70s/early '80s(No offense intended). But EVH vs. RR was THE argument in rock guitar circles(God, I feel old!). Since there were only the two of them, some of the opinions got pretty passionate and heated.

But would Randy Rhoads be ancient history musically if he were still with us today? In my opinion absolutely not. Has Ozzy Osbourne gone the way of the Dodo? No. Ozzy was also incredibly fond of Randy Rhoads, so I don't think that "Marriage" would have ended.

Could Randy Rhoads have evolved to keep up with the ever-changing musical tastes of the world? Of course. Many people who weren't around at the time don't seem to realize that NOBODY was playing ANYTHING like EVH or RR just prior to Randy's death. I would like to think that a musician as dynamic and talented as Randy Rhoads would have kept us all smiling and anticipating new material as much as we all cherish Ed's work.

[ April 11, 2001 at 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Mike5150 ]
    There is no spoon...................

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to disagree with you. although I see your point, there's no way in Hell that Randy woud have been obsolete. Ed and Randy both have different styles, but to say that he would have been obscure by the changes, it's not giving the respect that RR deserve as a guitar player. I do think that he would have change a bit his style and technique into more of a classical mood. But he was as good as Ed or even better who knows. He was taken way too young for us to know for sure.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Just for the record, Randy died in 1982.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Eddie's Monster-

I do think Randy would have ended up staying with Ozzy, but I too grew up around that time. Randy was never as big as Eddie. Everyone was in to Eddie when he broke the scene. This is not a whack at Randy because he too was great, but Eddie Van Halen was voted best new guitarist immediately following the release of VH I in 1978. He was winning all the guitar polls in every guitar publication. ( Some of which I still actually have in good condition.) Many people, surprisingly, did not know that Randy Rhoads was with Quiet Riot in the mid 70's before hooking up with Ozzy up until his untimely death in the early 1980's. It leaves a question of doubt who the "better" virtuoso was because it was common knowledge that RR would follow Ed around during the club days to try and learn his licks. Which is why Eddie played with his back to the crowd. There will always be questions left. Maybe Randy would have been Roth's guitar player after he quit Van Halen. Maybe he would have been one of the endless guitar greats in Whitesnake. Maybe it would have just been him and Ozzy til the end. I have to give Eddie the full benefit here based on what he did accomplish, not on what of? Could of? or what if?

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What if? Could have?... the point of this tread was to know how many if not all of you feel Edward and Randy affected the way the guitar is played or was played back in the early '80s. I was 11 or 12 when Randy died but at that time I already knew Eddie and Randy's music, so It came to mind all those heated arguements that I had with my friends later when Randy passed away, of which of them were the best player. And in many of those discussions I defended Randy just saying that it is not fair because he is dead. And we migth never know what migth have been.
    It's the same feeling If they ask, what would have been like if Jimi Hendrix,SRV or Kurt Cobain hadn't passed on.
    What would the music world today migth have been. Only God would.

It's frustrating as Hell that today "so-called guitar player", (I going to get slammed for this but...I don't care),
    the likes of Limp Bizkit,Korn and all the rest of the crappy music out there mainly and bluntly SUCKS!!!
    No Charisma in the part of the guitarrist, they just play low notes to fill the gap left by the drummer and the "Singer".
    That's not the music that i grew up loving, that why I do missed so much, RR,SVR,JH,and KC... at least with them around you would get something new and definately different.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't think Randy would have stayed with Ozzy. Even in 1982 he was (reputedly) growing bored with playing metal and the limitations of Ozzy's musical style and was much more interested in classical music/guitar.

He would probably have ended up back playing hard rock or doing reunions when his other musical interests stopped paying the bills. But I suspect he would have at least temporarily abandoned the guitar hero thing pretty soon after 1982.
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I love that scene in Ozzy's Don't Blame Me video when he's taking about Randy and he says "I don't think for one minute that he'd still be playing with me".

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

randy
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

Chant it with me!!
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] Eddie! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

This is one of those threads where the "reality of what was" vs. the "reality of what is" becomes quite sobering.

To think of all the musician-ship (is that a word) we've lost over the years and IF those people would've remained here, HOW would the face of music be different today?

Randy Rhoads would, IMO, NOT be with Ozzy today. I know there were some back in the early 80's that thought the union of DLR and EVH would last a lot longer than it did. However, I agree with Jonathan and feel RR would've grown tired of the "Guitar Hero" status of heavy metal and would've wanted to spread his wings elsewhere.

Much like Ed tried with VH3.

To think of the potential impromptu jams that COULD have taken place...Hendrix popping up with Clapton somewhere, RR and EVH doing a clinic together (yeah right...just like Ed and Steve Vai doing the same thing ), Jim Morrison and what he would have become, etc.

I'm not as familiar with RR's work as I should be, but I'd love to think about the potential he could've shown us all.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Two of the greatest guitar players to ever live....Certainly these two guys rank up there with other guitar greats the likes of Robert Johnson, Chet Atkins, B.B. King, Leo Kottke, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page....etc.

I would give the nod to Eddie Van Halen, HOWEVER, it's really unfair to judge the 2 of them, when one of them died so young. We will never know what Randy MAY have branched out into, or become....It is true that at the time of his death he was evolving much of his style and moving into classical style much more heavily....

~BC
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

imo randy is underrated. he was great you know. its breathtaking. i can't even say how great he is because its just excellent, its breathtaking.

eddie, still amazes me, ith his gutiar and not making music. he started it all pretty much. no one imitates him, he is the king. but after digging up some cds with some eddie on it. i realized they are both great guitarists.
    eddie may win by a hair, but randy is great too.

did eddie win any awards? because randy did (i think 2?)
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>