Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The Rolling Stones
    Led Zeppelin
    The Beatles
    The Who

They're not my 4 favs (I'm not much of a Who fan) but I think these are the top 4.

BTW, I love the Stones, Zep, and The Beatles.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

The Beatles - definitely - they did so much in such a short period of time and their popularity continues even 30 years after the band's breakup and with two members no longer with us.

Rolling Stones - sure - while not as musically innovative as the Beatles, they have their own level of popularity and their longevity, especially in light of their abusive indulgences has to say something for them.

The Who - definitely get nods for Townshend's creative vision, but I don't think they are on the same level as the Beatles and the Stones.

Led Zeppelin - even though I like Led Zeppelin, sometimes I feel they are just way overrated. I'm not always a big fan of Robert's singing or Jimmy's playing (though Bonzo never disappoints!). I just feel their albums are uneven, the production is lousy and they didn't really do anything during their active days to put them on the same level as some of the other bands.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

POUND CAKE
    Last Online

05.08.08 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They are indeed great bands imo with the exception of Led Zeppelin. I never really could stand that band. I know that that makes me the oddball because the rest of the world seems to love them!

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's hard to argue with those 4. The Beatles and the Stones are no brainers. I'm not a big Who fan, but I do recognize their greatness and influence. I agree that Zeppelin is sometimes overrated, but nobody came close to them in their prime. If they don't deserve to be a top 5 band, then nobody does. But who's #5? Van Halen? Aerosmith? Sabbath? The Knack?
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Zeppelin overrated?!?!?! You have got to be kidding!!! "Stairway to Heaven" is the single most played song on the radio ever. A band's greatness can be measured by their influence on today's musicians. At least 90% of today's popular rock bands consider Led Zeppelin a huge influence. Every member of that band has had a major influence on today's artists. Hell, even P-Diddy sampled "Kashmir" on one of his songs. Another great thing about Led Zeppelin is the fact that their music was so diverse. Their songs ran the gamut. From hard rock, to ballads, to funky, to you name it. You can't pidgeon hole them at all. Do yourself a favor. Beg, borrow, or steal "Box-o-Led" (Zep's) box set, put on some headphones, and really listen to the music. No way are they overrated!!!!!!
    "The truth hurts."

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Don't need to - I own every single one of their albums (well, except for the two greatest hits packages that came out a few years ago) - some even twice! And while there's a lot of stuff that I like, there's some that I don't. I don't think Robert Plant's voice is "all that" - songs like "The Song Remains The Same" he sounds horrible. Jimmy Page's guitar tone isn't always that friendly. Their lyrics are often out of touch for the common man. Don't get me wrong, I do think Led Zeppelin is a great band, but they're no better than a lot of the other bands that they seem to be put on a pedestal over by so many people, and certainly not in a league with the Beatles or the Stones.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"To each his own." I respect your opinion. I think they are in the same league. All the bands you mentioned are in the Hall of Fame. Regardless, keep the rock alive Bro. Later.
    "The truth hurts."

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What about Spinal Tap??My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo, I wanna sink her with my pink torpedo...

Tenacious D?

Van Rothin'? Definitely one of the greates' bands in the history of the sport nah!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice try Carrot Top.
    "The truth hurts."

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:03 PM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Harris:
    Another great thing about Led Zeppelin is the fact that their music was so diverse. Their songs ran the gamut. From hard rock, to ballads, to funky, to you name it.
    Don't forget the Blues, man! Check out their cover of "You Shook Me" on their 1st album. That's some damn wicked blues playin'. Hey, where's Blind Willie when you need him?
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

what about ..devo....man they're great...
    nothing can compare to "whip it"...whip it good.. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That's a very good list. The Beatles are a clear cut #1 amongst those bands.

VH would be my choice for #5, but from a longevity standpoint it may have to be Aerosmith (even though I dislike them).
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:45 AM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

I think Pink Floyd needs to be considered as one of the top five...
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd say you got it. If Queen had a little better overall catalog I'd have to consider them. This is the order that I'd Choose

1.Beatles
    2.Led Zeppelin <My peronal favorite
    3.Rolling Stones
    4.The Who

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.23.12 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The following are my four choices for the four greatest bands ever, along with my rationale behind each choice:

1. (tie) Ratt and Motley Crue

These two bands must be given all the credit in the world for ushering in the most magnificent era in music history: The Hair-Band Era. Their significance can never be overstated.

3. (tie) Bon Jovi and post-Pyromania Def Leppard

These two heavyweights took the hair-band concept a bit further by recording sappy, half-assed rock songs and horribly cheesy ballads, which they knew--in their infinite wisdom--would appeal to the mainstream masses. This led to millions upon millions of album sales and even greater public exposure to the phenomenon known as The Hair-Band Era.

Anyone who disagrees with these opinions deserves to be shot.

I pretty much agree with the four bands mentioned in the first post to the thread. I would definitely include VH in my top 10, and probably Rush...I would have said Aerosmith before their Super Bowl debacle. Yes, it was that bad!
    "There goes the greatest hitter who ever lived..."