Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

OK....I am currently in the development phase of a feature film that I am doing. It is called House of Lords and the budget for the film is 3 million...which I do have. It will be distributed through a large production/distribution company...so when it is finally out, you will know about it.

Here is the problem. MY GIRLFRIEND. It seems she feels that I have the absolute worst taste in music and I should absolutely stay away from any soundtrack decisions. OK...so I am 31 years old (come May 11) and grew up in the 70's. So with that comes KISS, The Who, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, etc. Classic Rock of all kinds...basically Dazed and Confused the movie was my life. As well...I love Blues, Jazz, Classical and Funk. So now that it is the year 2002...have my tastes changed? Not really. I still love the same stuff that I mentioned above, but I still prefer music that has a 70's feel to it...ala Collective Soul, Soundgarden, Nickelback, Tantric, The Black Crowes, Beck, Seal, Lenny Kravitz, etc.

Anyhoo...this is the problem. I have been in discussions with Jan Hammer, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck to contribute to the score of the soundtrack. We are in talks and that is the style of music that I want in the movie. Blues, Jazzy and New Age ambiance. Hell...Moby is a complete rip off of Jan Hammer and Tangerine Dream...but most people don't even know that and think that Moby is some Mozart of our time. So instead of having Moby in the soundtrack...which every film seems to do these days...I am going to the true originators of that genre and to me...it is a classy decision.

I hate rap and I hate pop with a passion. To me...it is not music at all, but a cancer on the music industry. The majority of music today is not even music. It is talking with a beat attached. Either that or put together bands that don't play any instruments or write any songs. This is the very reason why popular music right now is at an alll time low and why Britney Spears, Eminem and anyone that can't really sing...but can swear over and over real well...are called "rock stars" today. Like these people will be around 5 years from now. They are not Gene Simmons, David Lee Roth, Robert Plant, Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, Steven Tyler, David Coverdale, Jimmy Page, Edward Van Halen or anyone remotely close to that. Never will be. Now maybe the people I have just mentioned don't have much of a career now...but that is fine. They had their moment in the sun and are still considered legends today. Ask any guitarist from any grunge band today and he will tell you this. "I started playing guitar because of Jimmy Page, Ace Frehley and Eddie Van Halen"

I would rather die...then be associated with some film that had a cookie cutter listing of today's "greatest artists". Now if a scene calls for a dance club or whatever...then fine...I will put dance music in that scene...but it won't be on the official soundtrack. I would just use rap or dance stuff...when it is absolutely needed to convey the scene. But I would totally use funk tracks, blues stuff and whatever ambience to make a cool soundtrack. Listen to the soundtracks to Heat, The Insider, Traffic, Get Carter, etc. in that style....very cool.

My girlfriend can't stand my music and she is just so into whatever is "cool" today. Who cares about the people that I like is what she says. Anyone who still listens to Classic Rock and 80's rock...is a "TOTAL LOSER" according to her. We actually get in screaming fights over this...because she is embarrased to tell her friends what I listen to and if she does tell them...they laugh and say "really???"...like I am some freak or something. It burns me to no end. She can't see that these Classic Rock artists are considered Gods and not only that...she is unable to detect in music today...bands/artists totally ripping off these Classic Rock bands. For example...Lenny Kravitz is totally Stevie Wonder mixed in with KISS. He even says so...but she is unable to see it. She is 27...and as I said, I will be 31. Is there really that much difference in the culture between those times. She just finds it to be the lamest music ever and that their time is over, so it is now time to get into whatever is popular today. If she even remotely hears my play any of it...she will scream to turn it off. Does anyone have a boyfriend/girlfriend with similar problems that just get under your skin.

Anyway...I convinced that it looks cool to have a soundtrack that will say.

House of Lords
    Music Composed By Jan Hammer and Jeff Beck
    Songs Written By Jimmy Page and David Coverdale (as I prefer him to Plant....love Coverdale/Page)

What do you guys think,

Slowpoke

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

It sounds like you have good taste in music and your girl doesn't. Coverdale/Page in incredible!!! I would play Shake My Tree, Pride And Joy, and Whisper A Prayer For A Dying on your soundtrack.

I had one girlfriend that liked really awful rap music. But I learned to deal with it, I let her play her music and then I got to play mine after.

I dated another girl briefly, that played awful music that I hated, and wouldn't let me play Van Halen. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] So I broke up with her. I loved my Van Halen albums a lot more that her.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude... trust me on this one... DUMP YOUR GIRLFRIEND! Her... "taste" in music is utterly clueless and vapid, and clearly demonstrates why YOU are the artist and film-maker, not her... Plus, once your flick comes out, you'll have hordes of hotties wanting to hook up with you anyway, so... problem solved!

Jeez... I really should charge for this shit!

SBS

P.S. I'll be keepin' an eye out for the flick... say, maybe you should give Eddie a ring, he's not doing anything.
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Jesus H. Christ, your girlfriend is 27 and has that attitude towards classic rock/'80s rock? She must've had at least a little exposure to some of that music growing up. She sounds like a complete bonehead. I'd dump her like yesterday's garbage. (No offense to you, Slowpoke )

I'd absolutely LOVE to hear a soundtrack with those artists on there. That would actually be a soundtrack worth buying. 95% of all soundtracks released these days are complete bunk, filled from end-to-end with cookie cutter crap by today's flavor-of-the-minute bands. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] I mean, you can hear all the same sound-alike shit on all the WB TV shows...

Want to hear some cool music that makes great movies ever better? Watch Tarantino's films...Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown. They're crammed full of classic '60s and '70s soul, R&B, and pop tunes and they fit the scenes perfectly and set some eerily cool moods in each film.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,352 Times in 928 Posts

I find most women seem to not be into rock 'n roll, so it doesn't surprise me that she doesn't share your taste in music. However, her selfishness in allowing you to maintain your taste in music smacks me as something you might want to consider before making any long term commitment to this woman. If she can be so demanding and critical of the music you love, what else will she be demanding and critical of in the future?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude... why the hell are you still with this bubblehead? Sorry man, but from everything you've told us, she sounds like a pretentious, shallow, arrogant, self-centered BIATCH.

She sounds like a 13-year old airhead whose musical "tastes" are dictated soley by how "cute" the "boys" singing it are, and how much they make her feel "all tingly down there".

It sounds like you really have your shit together (provided this isn't all really just bullshit, sorry, but I don't know you from Adam, and this IS the internet after all...), so you really need to kick the obnoxious, mindless MTV slave to the curb and find a woman with a brain.

NO pussy is THAT good, man...

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm gonna weigh in here, cuz I am a female, and I like rock... and lots of other music. Rap and hip hop make me ill.

Your girlfriend is really intolerant of your choices (bad sign), and she's really into doing what she perceives other people find acceptable (a red flag too). I agree with billy. If she's this nasty about things you like when you're in the rosy glow of a dating relationship, what's gonna happen when you do something she doesn't like??

My husband and i have different tastes in music, but he's coming around. I'm working with him. There's hope! Still, though he may roll his eyes, he listens and doesn't make a big deal over it. Neither do I when he plays his music.

You've listed some great ideas for artists with your soundtrack. Trust your gut.

As for your girlfriend? If she's this teste with your taste in music, and she's embarassed by you when you talk about it to others, then you need to move on to find someone who'll appreciate you! Move on!
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sorry, how could you deal with that immature girl?? I guess it's easier to see it from the outside, trust me I've been there. But after being with my present girlfriend for nearly 2 1/2 years, I know there is SO much better you could be doing. She has grown to love VH, and most of the classic rock I listen to. Even if she doesn't like something, or even hate it (grunge), she'll tolerate listening to it with me cause she knows I like it. I'm the same way with her. She would criticize a band that I like, but not ME for liking them!

This girl is NOT worth keeping, TRUST ME. Dump her ass, you'll feel 110% better, GUARANTEED. I had a girl like that once, and I didn't want to break up with her. She ended up cheating on me and we broke up. I still can't believe I didn't dump her dumb ass a long time before that.

Please, please get rid of her. I can't bear to read these posts anymore. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

vh1 , fw , 1984 & fuck
    Favorite VH Song

girl gone bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ditch the bitch..

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

She says to me, "who the hell is going to buy this soundtrack?"..."who knows or cares about Jan Hammer and David Coverdale?". She tells me that her friends laugh, when they hear of my plans or just simply say that they never heard of the artists that I am trying to get. She had the exposure to that music...but has the opinion that people that still listen to it...could not have any more worst taste in music.

Now I admit that out of the 700 CD's that I have...I do have hard rock CD's from the 80's that may be questionable, as I pretty much bought every band that was hard rock...but it is not garbage to me now. I may not listen to say Vandenberg, XYZ, Tangier or Beggars & Thieves every day...but it is all part of my growing up and having good memories. And once in a while on a summer Sunday afternoon...Poison and others may find their way into my CD player.

But ever since I first watched Miami Vice, I have become a Jan Hammer freak and bought anything with his name on it. Through that...I discovered Jeff Beck and his many albums. As for Coverdale, I became a huge Whitesnake fan in the 80's...but preferred the old stuff to the cheesy ballads. Coverdale/Page is a wicked album that still holds up and I very much enjoy his Into The Light solo album. So when the decision came to find artists to do the sountrack, I immediately thought of Jan Hammer, Jeff Beck and David Coverdale with Jimmy Page (possibly). Either that or Richie Kotzen...whom I just think is such a talent in every department. Included with that...would be some jazz, blues and funk songs from various artists. That is my dream soundtrack.

I am serious...my girlfriend and I get into SCREAMING fights over my music and the fact that only losers still listen to their Def Leppard albums. When I have said to her...would you go see KISS with me, if they came back...she said that she would not want to be seen with those pathetic people still living in the 70's. If she remotely hears me play any of that music. She is screaming to turn it off and will go and do it herself...without even asking me. She will just come through the door and turn it off.

It isn't that she is a big rap fan or anything...but she just thinks that my music had it's time and that time is over. Time to grow up. That by making the soundtrack that I want...would guarantee very little sales on the CD. That is not what sells...put on the music that the MAJORITY of people like now...not music for people who are still living in the past and don't count for much of the record sales today.

God this gets under my skin...you have no idea. Cause essentially I know that in her mind, she thinks that I am a loser, when it comes to my tastes in anything. She actually said to me..."you have the worst taste in everything...if you said that I looked good in something, I would not take it as much as a compliment...coming from what you consider good taste". Damn...I am sorry for ranting, but she drives me insane with her thinking that a kind of music has to die...because it is a new decade or something.

She loves that UK sound...The Smiths, Coldplay, The Verve, etc...that is what she considered to be good music and stuff that I should put on a soundtrack. Now let me play devil's advocate...I posted this on a rock site, so obviously people are going to say that I am right...but from a sales point of view or style in a movie...am I too biased and just picking stuff that I love...cause that is what I consider good music. Hell...I am sure that there are people here that would cringe at the idea of David Coverdale on a soundtrack. Ford maybe. Bottom line...can a couple survive with such hatred towards one person's musical taste? Does anyone have this problem or a girlfriend/boyfriend that is so opinionated towards your tastes that they and there friends laugh at you. This is my current life story.

Slowpoke

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

02.26.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Slowpoke:

My girlfriend can't stand my music and she is just so into whatever is "cool" today. Who cares about the people that I like is what she says. Anyone who still listens to Classic Rock and 80's rock...is a "TOTAL LOSER" according to her. We actually get in screaming fights over this...because she is embarrased to tell her friends what I listen to and if she does tell them...they laugh and say "really???"...like I am some freak or something. It burns me to no end. She can't see that these Classic Rock artists are considered Gods and not only that...she is unable to detect in music today...bands/artists totally ripping off these Classic Rock bands. She just finds it to be the lamest music ever and that their time is over, so it is now time to get into whatever is popular today. If she even remotely hears my play any of it...she will scream to turn it off.

I am serious...my girlfriend and I get into SCREAMING fights over my music and the fact that only losers still listen to their Def Leppard albums. When I have said to her...would you go see KISS with me, if they came back...she said that she would not want to be seen with those pathetic people still living in the 70's. If she remotely hears me play any of that music. She is screaming to turn it off and will go and do it herself...without even asking me. She will just come through the door and turn it off.
    [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    :cantevenspeakrightnow:
    <b>Obey the DFK!!</b><br /><br />"Teacher needs to see me after school"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

If my wife would do that to me, I'd backhand her across the mouth.

Bottom line...can a couple survive with such hatred towards one person's musical taste? Does anyone have this problem or a girlfriend/boyfriend that is so opinionated towards your tastes that they and there friends laugh at you. This is my current life story.

Slowpoke
    A couple can survive when they have differing musical tastes but respect each other's right to listen to what each one wants to. For instance, my wife listens to country and soft rock, and I listen to classic rock, metal, blues, etc., but we show consideration towards each other by letting the other person play their own music.

What your girlfriend is doing is psycho. It sounds like she has the maturity level of a first grader and the tact of an orangutan. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] I'd dump her and find someone who could show you courteousness and respect. There ARE nice girls out there...
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by ScottRoberts:
    If my wife would do that to me, I'd backhand her across the mouth.
    Nice...
    Delusions of eloquence

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If it where me... well, ok, maybe I wouldn't actually SAY this to her... but i'd be thinking;
    "Listen bitch! When YOU make YOUR fucking movie then YOU can pick all the cheesey music you want! Hell, make sure you hire that master thespian Marky Mark to be the male lead while your at it too! Now, get your bitch ass in the kitchen & bake me a pie"!
    Of course, to HER I'd say;
    "Golly honey, ya think"?
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude, there are few things worse in this life than music snobs! I have (had) a similar situation with my old lady, but have since set her right for the most part. She likes non-commercial stuff and death metal and generally things most people don't listen to. She used to give me shit about some of my musical tastes (VH, Zep, etc.) but at least was good-natured about it. Then we saw Almost Famous, and she got a lot of respect for Classic Rock after that. The point is that people can change, and have open minds if they care enough to. So all I should say is if she's that mean and shitty about your tastes, kick her to the curb. Cause even if you think it's a trivial difference, tastes in music are important in gauging a person, especially if they're that close-minded about things like that. There are lots of chicks out there with open minds.
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)