Register

Thread: Living Colour

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

House of Pain
    Last Online

03.14.12 @ 04:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found this at MTV.com. I hope the boys can keep it together for a new studio album and tour.

NEW YORK — It was billed as a gig by Headfake, but a Thursday night show soon turned into a full-fledged Living Colour reunion as the hard-rock band that broke down the genre's color barrier played together at CBGB's, the club where they were discovered more than a decade ago.

Tipped off by the promise of a "special guest," fans packed the legendary downtown club to capacity. After Headfake — a group featuring singer Corey Glover, bassist Doug Wimbish and drummer Will Calhoun — finished up two charged drum- and bass-infused songs, Glover faced the crowd and grinned.

Laughing a bit, he asked, "So what brings you out here on this cold-ass day?," and then, as if to answer his own question, turned and yelled offstage, "Hey! Come here, man." Living Colour guitarist and co-founder Vernon Reid then joined his former bandmates on the small stage.

Energized and none the worse for the time off since their 1995 breakup, Living Colour hit the ground running with a thundering version of "Middle Man" and never slowed down during a seamless and intense 12-song set. Playing for almost an hour, Living Colour touched upon favorites from their three-CD catalog. Highlights included a fist-pumping rendition of the band's breakthrough single, "Cult of Personality", from 1988's Grammy winner Vivid; "Love Rears Its Ugly Head," which Glover gave a delicious dramatic flair; "Time's Up", "Bi," Talking Heads' "Memories Can't Wait" (also from Vivid) and "Everything Goes Round."

The band encored with a breakneck version of Jimi Hendrix's "Crosstown Traffic," which the foursome tore into with the fervor of newcomers.

That drive and a sense of fun were, according to Reid, part of the motivation to play again. The group, which has maintained varying degrees of contact musically and personally over the years, always had the notion of reuniting in the back of their minds, Reid said before the show. It wasn't until Calhoun asked Reid several months ago to seriously consider the idea of a Living Colour gig that the notion became a reality, because, Reid admitted, "for a change I was open to it."

The group held a few low-key rehearsals in the late fall and quickly discovered that the very things that had torn the band apart didn't matter. "It felt like friends having a good time," Reid said. "We were having fun playing."

Asked why now, Reid laughed and said, "I've given up being right," adding, "for me, [getting back together] has to do with personal things rather than some reunion fever. I broke up the band, and it was very emotional, 'cause we were really close personally."

As the response at the show proved there's an audience eager for Living Colour's ballistic and intricate blur of funk, rock and soul, but according to Reid the likelihood of more shows and the future of Living Colour "is really one day at a time."

Reid, Calhoun and founding bassist Muzz Skillings formed the pioneering black rock group in 1983 in New York. The lineup solidified with the addition of Taylor in 1985, and in 1987, the group was discovered at CBGB's by Mick Jagger, who financed and produced songs for the band's demo.

Wimbish joined the band after Skillings' 1992 departure.

--Amy Linden

------------------
    UP FRONT FANATICS

vh3fan aka the not so alone warrior
    " a good soldier is always prepared during the times of peace"

"loved by many hated by few"

"buying my way into 5150"

Last Online

09.14.15 @ 07:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome, Living Colour rocks!!! They'd be a great opening band for VH next year! Vernon Reid is an incredible guitarist.

------------------
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule!

Proud member of the Dirty Faced Kids!

Up The Irons!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Living Colour was talented in every aspect...and should be known deeper than their few radio hits. I always thought that Vivid was their worst album too (but still really liked it). Never got to see them live, would love the chance of that and/or a new studio album. The last new tracks they put on that Pride compilation album would pretty good stuff. Oh, one more thing....they were always a band that surprised me with each album. I'd get it expecting one thing, and it was totally different...but damn good.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The media called them the "Black Van Halen".

I call them "the only new band in the late 80's that were worth a shit".

No cheesy hair band here, thank GOD!!

And a VERY welcome return

Opening act on the Van HALEN tour? We can only hope.......

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country
    EUAS 2001 : The Wrath of Roth

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Living Colour was one of 2 bands that came out of the eighties that I still listen to without cringing in embarassment. The other is Faith No More.

No cheese with either of these 2 bands.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wouldn't want anybody to open for VH, BUT if Living Colour DOES get back together, I'd hope they'd open for 2 hours, then VH on for 3-4 more!

------------------
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

04.12.16 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

I love thier album "Vivid"!

The songs on that album have a great groove to them.

My favorite tracks are "Cult of Personality", "Open Letter (to a Landlord)" and "Broken Hearts". (The latter has a nice little bass solo).

Thier first bass player, Muzz Skillings, was phenomenal.

Regrettably, I haven't heard much of thier material beyond that.

------------------
    "..Stare at disbelief at me when I just up and walk, OUTTA LOVE!"--DLR, Outta Love Again

"That's the thing about self-improvement. Don't get me wrong, I plan to get some soon"
    --DLR, Can't Get This Stuff No More

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ive been a living colour fan since i got the first album back in 88...let me tell you too i took alot of shit for being a fan too!!! "awwww man how can you like that *igger band trying to be white?" hey fuck you buddy!.....ive bought all of their cd s as they were released ,i have the time tunnel and primer videos too......stain is my favorite cd ...rolling stone said "stain is like van halens fair warning, a dark and brooding album" when it was reveiwed.

------------------
    eddie vanhalen , there is no substitute. member of the G4 and proud member of the moron thread!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 11,544 Times in 4,918 Posts

I liked these guys too since '88, right after I caught the "Cult Of Personality" video. I as like, "Woah, that's a bad ass riff." Vernon Reid is a good guitarist, although I think his solos sometimes are a bit disjointed and not soulful enough. The "Cult of Personality" solo kinda bugs me sometimes, it seems very dischordent to me. Great band though.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah Vernon's solos are usually a bit out there at times...that's just part of his style. I often think of his style as a hendrix meets avent garde jazz. His playing on his solo cd is even more out there. I love his playing though.

BTW, Stain is my fav album as well. If you haven't yet, check out the 4 or 5 new (at the time) tunes on the Pride compilation album.

And here's to hoping something like a tour or album comes out of this!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just stumbled upon this article from from Rolling Stone on April 6th 1989 By Michael Goldberg. (http://osolaine.tripod.com/turnstogold.html)

Check out this line:
    "Van Halen singer Sammy Hagar is so high on Living Colour that he would like to produce the band’s next album."

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Middle Man was the first song I had heard from them, They reek of awsomeness.JFK voice on C.O.P. is cool.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.27.09 @ 02:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The end of the Cult of Personality solo sounds like is guitar is fucking ON FIRE. He's incredibly fast! One of my favourite guitarists for sure. He sure knew how to play out of tune didn't he?

Love Living Colour, especially 'This is the Life', sounds like Led Zep...

------------------
    The last thing you want is to be Van Hagar-ed.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

STAIN was an awesome album that was criminally overlooked. Rick S hit the nail on the head with the Fair Warning comparison.

------------------
    "You know, there are more people here tonight... than the entire weekend last year, baby." -DLR
    "He's the snake to my mongoose... or the mongoose to my snake... either way its bad." -Dr. Evil

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Lots o' people call Reid an Eddie-wannabe,but fuck,who isn't? I dig their covers of "Sunshine of Your Love" and "Talkin' Loud Ain't Sayin' Nuthin'." Open letter--I think I remember that tune bein' real groovy.