Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    On Fire
    Last Online

10.01.07 @ 07:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have seen several of you talk about newsgroups and I have checked into it a little bit. One of you guys who is up on please give me some tips. I know that's where you find some really good music, I just wanna know the nuts and bolts. Thanks in advance.
    By the way, I'm not real good with baby-steps. My specialty is ass-kicking. -DLR

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Ravin' Rude:
    I have seen several of you talk about newsgroups and I have checked into it a little bit. One of you guys who is up on please give me some tips. I know that's where you find some really good music, I just wanna know the nuts and bolts. Thanks in advance.
    You can use an assortment of newsreaders, but Outlook utilizes Outlook Express. All you have to do is set it up with your news server from your ISP, and that's it. In Outlook, go to View|Go to| News. When you first start, a box comes up to download news groups. Once finished, you type in what you're looking for like music, vh, cheerleaders, guitars, albums... And news groups with whatever keywords you are looking for will pop up. You get the picture

[ October 19, 2002, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    newsgroups are fun, but they are a total madhouse!

If your looking for music, I'd say that winmx/kazaa is much better for acual tunes. You can ask for what you want. In a newsgroup its just a matter of grabbing whatever people upload.

also the mp3's usually get broken into parts - and newgroups, by theur nature, are notorious for having posts go missing - if that post contains part of that new album your trying to grab, your up the creek.

Anyways, to get started find out your news servers address from your ISP. it'll be something like news.network.com.

Go into outlook express, start a new account, make it a news one,. plug in the details. DO NOT USE YOUR REAL EMAIL - you'll get a torrent of span. insert something false in there so the spambots dont get ya - if your real email was joey@frizznet.com, put your email in as joey*NOSPAM*@frizzynet.com. the spambots will mis you, and anyone who DOES want to email you will know what to do.

After you put in your details, OE will try and download a list of groups. this could take a while depending on your connection. Search the list for something your intrested in, 'suscribe' to the group and away you go!

More detailed info here

If you really get into them, might be worth looking into a program such as 'free agent', an excellent dedicated newsgroup program. But OE is quite serviceable for a starting point.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you guys find some decent new groups please let me know because all I see is a bunch of vanilla sounding clones with no artistic ability what so ever. You can take , Rage against the machine, Limp "Dick" Bisquet, tool, and the rest of those no talent , scream into the microphone stooges and keep them all. The last real good band that has come out is the Kenny Wayne Sheppard band and because they have a seventies rock style and there vocalist doesn't jump around like he's got a hot poker iron up his ass they get very little air play and video play. It's a shame the direction the music industry has gone in today. You can blame the record companies for that also.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Originally posted by Vince:
    When you guys find some decent new groups please let me know because all I see is a bunch of vanilla sounding clones with no artistic ability what so ever. You can take , Rage against the machine, Limp "Dick" Bisquet, tool, and the rest of those no talent , scream into the microphone stooges and keep them all.
    I am notorious for not liking much new music at all and mostly listen to all the groups from my past when I was a youngster. However, about a year ago Incubus caught my ear and those guys are really good. Hard rock, acoustic, soft melodic stuff, crazy modern rock; they do it all. I've seen them twice this year and they keep getting better and better. Good lyrics and songwriting. Don't let the DJ fool you: he's essentially the keyboardist.