Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Caught about 3/4's of it this morning. This is what I gathered from it.

#1. Steve Perry is an ass. He fired the drummer and the bass player at the peak of their success. Then he basically dictated the entire direction of the band. He quit in the middle of the 1986 tour. (Granted his mother had died, and he was having problems, but he quit.) Then the band had a triumphant return in 1995 or so, but never toured because he refused to have surgery on his hip. Ha! Sound familiar?
    Now he says "I never felt like I was in the band. I always felt like an outsider."

He also made a comment about Neil Schon, who by the way, has packed on some serious L-BS. He said they were leaving the stage after playing "Open Arms", and the crowd was going nuts. "Neil turned to me and said, 'Wow, that kicked ass.' I wanted to punch him in the face!"

Perry released his solo album, which was a Journey sound-alike. He basically gravy-trained off them. Schon did his side-projects, but they had a different feel. Perry had a seperate bus from the rest of the band, took seperate flights, everything. This, BTW, was Perry's first TV interview in 15 years! What is that? Can't be because he's a nice guy!
    There was also a photo shown of Schon and Hagar from the H.S.A.S. album.

2. Journey is going to look real bad moving on with this new singer. They have gone the AC/DC clone route, getting a guy who looks, and sounds excatly like Perry. It's going to be a rip-off.

Anybody else see it? My general impression is that Perry is a difficult, pompous ass.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I'm not sure if I fully agree w/your assessment about AC/DC (ie: soundalike, lookalike...I don't think Brian Johnson sounds too much like Bon). The AC/DC situation is much different. AC/DC, like Van Halen, continued to thrive and even excel in their second "eras". Journey, at this point, seems to be facing the same situation that a lot of 80's bands are. They were never able to establish themselves as a great band w/a new (non-original) band member. Journey is at a point where after all this lag time and being out of the spotlight, people are going "who cares". There really isn't a big forum for any kind of "new" Journey music. Rock radio is gearing more towards the harder/edgier/grungier styles and may not be that receptive to new music from a "new" band. Classic Journey fans are usually only there to hear the songs that made them fans. (ie: Wheel In The Sky, Lovin Touchin Squeezin, Anyway You Want It, Don't Stop Believin, etc). No one cares about or even knows "Remember Me". That song, btw, was from Armageddon. How many of us know it?

I'm recording the BTM even as I write this. I have my own opinions on this but I'll wait to see how they're influenced after watching the show. I DID see the segment where SP said he never felt like he was a part of the band. THAT seems like a load of crap!!

My point with this post is that while I understand your theory, I don't think AC/DC is one of the bands that got left behind with a second lead singer.

------------------
    "Whenever we come to Milwaukee, we try and have a special surprise for you here and tonite we got a whole sh*tload of 'em for you and right now, we want to whip the first one at you here! Y'know, usually Ed doesn't sing this part of the song and when he does tonight for the first time, you'll find out why!"

-David Lee Roth, Milwaukee 1980

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't believe Steve said he was never part of the band . What a load of crap . He ran the show when Rollie left . What a whiner . I still love his voice though . I will still purchase Arrival when it comes out . I think everyone will be surprised at how good it will be . That Steve Augeri has some pipes as well .

------------------
    GO PACKERS !!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

As a Journey fan, I thought the show was excellent. A lot of the info I had heard/read before, but I wasn't exactly sure why Perry bowed out after the last album in 96. BTW...Trial By Fire is an awesome album--check it out if you have a chance.

Here's the deal: Everyone in the band's saying this is it for Journey and Perry. No more. Done. Finito. BUT...isn't that the same thing we heard from the Eagles? The Crue? Even VH fits in that category.

This is what will happen--Perry will call Schon, say "Hey, we made some mistakes, I'm feeling better, let's go for it one more time". Schon, knowing a gift horse when he sees one, will say, "Done deal!. And before you can say Don't Stop Believin, this Agulierra (or whatever) guy will be on the lead-singer trash heap.

It's inevitable, folks. Journey toured with this new guy last year to so-so crowds and mixed reviews. Put Perry in the mix again and you have the formula which created one of the world's most popular bands. The fans will be there once again. And so will the bucks. Look for the Perry-led Journey to get together again sometime soon.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Big Trouble
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:22 AM
    Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts

You know i hope Journey gets back together with Steve Perry...i think Seperate Ways (Worlds Apart) is one of the best rock/pop songs ever made...still pumps me up when i hear that beginning sequence.

plus Steve Perry looks exactly like my cousin...they are clones its ridiculous.

Late.

------------------
    The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Sucks, Van Halen is too good for that disgraceful establishment! OUT!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For some outside perspective on this, I told my girlfriend about the whole Journey coming back with a different singer bit (since she's a boarderline fan) and her instant responce was:

"It's not Journey then."

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

On Fire
    Last Online

10.01.07 @ 07:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone who saw this, see if this sounds familiar. Lead singer has HUGE ego, band has hits with HIS ballads. He takes total control. Band breaks up. Several years later, hatchets are buried, band reconvenes. Suddenly at last minute, singer bails out on comeback tour, cites "medical"reasons. Band goes on with new singer who has identical voice, old singer can't believe it. Singer then takes care of medical problem.Cries foul against bandmates. Anyone who saw the "STYX" BTM, this is identical to that story. Come to think of it, I've never seen Steve Perry and Dennis Deyoung in the same room. HHMMMM........

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

The new singer does have some serious "balls of an elephant".
    I might just have to check them out this summer.
    I got almost teary-eyed when they talked about the kid that died. That was sad and they did a great thing by making his dream come true. ( I will always applaud ANY person(s) that do things like that and mean it)

I believe that we haven't seen the last of Steve Perry and Journey working together.

They must be eligible soon for the R&R Hall of Fame.
    and then maybe they will do another album & tour together.

------------------
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH EDDIE, ALEX, MIKE & DAVE.

*****Gary was Van Halen's mid-life crisis*****

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Depends on what day it is
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hehehehehehe!!!

Don't have anything to do with the show but this is from the '83 US festival. I think its funny.

------------------
    "It's all over but the SHOUTING...
    I've come to take what's mine!"

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I'm surprised more VH fans haven't gone off on this topic. If you do like them though, you will be pleasantly surprised by the new vocalist singing talents. Can he write a tune? I am not sure, he was not credited for many on the new album.
    And yes Doucet, Perry's definitely got some serious ego. Neal was at the Warfield last night for the Jeff Beck show... http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/02/22/DD207705 .DTL

[This message has been edited by LedHead (edited February 22, 2001 at 07:18 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The new Journey album features Steve Perry? I didn't know that. It's been released in Japan, I think...could be wrong...

------------------
    "Van Halen fans been hangin' in there for a long time...they're probably the best fans in the world..."-Sammy

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SactoFan:
    [B]The new Journey album features Steve Perry?

Hey SactoFan,
    Perry is not in the band. Augeri (sp) is the vocalist on the new album.
    And yes, the album has already been released in Japan. Jack Blades (I think of Night Ranger) wrote a lot of the lyrics/music on the new album with Neil Schon.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Schon and Hagar not only collaborated on H.S.A.S. in '84, they also appear to be on the same diet.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Those bands from the 80's trying to make a comeback with a DIFFERENT singer than the one who brung them success sure are pathetic.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Journey is a great band!

I downloaded a new song of theirs called a Higher Place and it's awesome!!! I would say it's their best song!

I also love Don't Stop Believin', Anyway You Want It, and Seperate Ways.

------------------
    Right Now you're reading my post!
    She's a vision from coast to coast...
    Kicking back ain't kicking you...
    Don't disturb my paradise,
    i've asked you once, I asked you nice...
    Up Front Fanatics!