All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NEWS - Talking Heads Burn Down House At Rock Hall Ceremony
    03/18/2002

(3/19/02, 12 a.m. ET) -- Talking Heads, the New York-based art-rock band who had hits with "Psycho Killer," "Burning Down the House," and "Once In A Lifetime," were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame by Anthony Kiedis of Red Hot Chili Peppers on Monday (March 18) night in New York City.

Kiedis joked in his speech about how listening to Talking Heads could somehow make librarians sexier. The Peppers' frontman also took a moment to tease Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder for his extended 17-minute induction speech for the Ramones.

The original members of Talking Heads put their legal battles behind them and reunited for the first time in years to accept their induction into the Hall Of Fame, leading drummer Chris Frantz to remark, "I'd like to thank the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame for giving this band a happy ending. I'd also like to thank the music fans of New York City in particular. Thank you."Bassist Tina Weymouth, lead singer David Byrne, and guitarist Jerry Harrison also expressed their thanks upon induction.

Talking Heads then took to the stage to perform "Psycho Killer," "Burning Down The House," and "Life During Wartime." Latter-day touring members of Talking Heads Bernie Worrell (of Parliament/Funkadelic) and Steve Scales joined the original members during their performance.

Talking Heads formed in New York in the mid-1970s. They releases eight studio albums and two live albums, before becoming inactive in 1988. They pioneered the use of avant-garde songs structures, stark alienating sounds, and world rhythms, as well as a ground-breaking visual style in their album covers, performances, and videos.

-- Chad Dougatz, New York
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NEWS - Ramones Inducted Into Rock Hall By Vedder, Joey Ramone's Relatives Snubbed
    03/18/2002

(3/19/02, 12:30 a.m. ET) -- The Ramones, who pioneered punk in New York City with such songs as "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "Blitzkrieg Bop," were inducted by Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame last night in their hometown.

Vedder noted in his induction speech that while they may have pioneered punk, none of the Ramones members ever had a mohawk. "They were just a bunch of guys from Forest Hills, Queens," Vedder said. "Commercially, they were never embraced... Punk bands now sell in their first record 10 times more records then the Ramones did through their careers."

After Vedder's 17-minute speech, Johnny Ramone, Marky Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone, and Tommy Ramone expressed thanks to the industry for the honor.

Tommy took a moment to recognize the late Joey Ramone by saying, "Believe it or not, we really loved each other, even when we weren't acting civil to each other. We were truly brothers. The honor of our induction to the Hall of Fame means a lot to us. But it's really meant everything to Joey. Thank you very much."

A bit of controversy swirled moments later in the backstage press area, after the Ramones left the stage. Joey Ramone's mother Charlotte Lesher and brother Mickey Leigh were asked by a reporter why they did not go on stage to accept Joey's award on his behalf. The family members replied they had not been invited to go on stage with the group. To make matters even more uncomfortable, Lesher and Leigh had not been asked to sit at the Ramones' table during the gala.

In spite of the controversy, Joey Ramone's spirit was indeed alive when Green Day performed the Ramones classics "Teenage Lobotomy," "Rockaway Beach," and "Blitzkrieg Bop" for the punk pioneers' performance segment. The surviving Ramones have vowed never to perform again following the death of Joey Ramone, who succumbed to cancer last April.

The Ramones formed in 1974, and based their career on short and punchy songs played at a breakneck speed. They focused on bringing rock back to its original motivations of frustration, rebellion and lust, and their crude instrumentation sometimes hid clever humorous lyrics and the band's love of classic '60s rock songs. They broke up in 1996, after perfecting a "punk" aesthetic of both looking unattractive and singing about unattractive topics, and influencing everyone from the Sex Pistols and the Clash to Pearl Jam and Green Day.-- Chad Dougatz, New York
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NEWS - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Free Fall Into Rock Hall
    03/18/2002

(3/18/02, 11:30 p.m. ET) -- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, the band with the nasal-twanged leader who created such classic rock anthems as "Breakdown," "Refugee," "American Girl," and "I Won't Back Down," were inducted into the Hall of Fame by Jakob Dylan of the Wallflowers during Monday (March 18) night's ceremony in New York City.

During his induction speech, Jakob Dylan recalled a time when he went on tour as an opening act for Petty. At one particular show, Petty's children were backstage. Dylan noted his conversation with the Petty offspring, saying, "'Wow, your dad's Tom Petty. What's that like?'" Jakob Dylan also noted of Petty that "his next song may be his best song."

When it came time to accept their induction, the members of the Heartbreakers, guitarist Mike Campbell, keyboardist Benmont Tench, Howie Epstein, Ron Blair, and Stan Lynch delivered the customary awards show thank yous. Petty then took to the podium to thank those who had faith in the band in the early years. He also thanked those in attendance, and the music he loves. "I look around the room I see so many faces of people I know, who have spent all their time and endeavors behind this music," Petty said. "And I thank this rock 'n' roll for the freedom it's given me, and I thank the fans for such a wonderful life, and I thank God for all of it. God bless you, thank you very much. And especially my wife Dana, who I love beyond belief."

Petty & the Heartbreakers then performed their songs "Mary Jane's Last Dance" and "American Girl"

Petty was raised in Florida and moved to Los Angeles in the 1970s where he assembled his band the Heartbreakers from the ashes of his old Florida combo, Mudcrutch. For a generation of musicians, he was the most visible disciple of the jangly, folk-rock style pioneered by the Byrds in the 1960s, but he added his own sense of pop melody and a distinctive Southern flavor to the mix. Petty has recorded albums with and without the Heartbreakers, and was also a member of the supergroup the Traveling Wilburys, which featured the late Roy Orbison and George Harrison, Bob Dylan, and Jeff Lynne.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NEWS - Isaac Hayes Gives Rock Hall 'Shaft'
    03/18/2002

(3/19/02, 12 a.m. ET) -- Isaac Hayes, the man responsible for such daring funk hits as "Theme From 'Shaft'" and "Joy," as well as co-writer of many Stax-Volt R&B hits in the 1960s, was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame last night (March 18) by Grammy-award winning artist Alicia Keys.

During her speech, Keyes thanked Hayes on behalf of the younger generation of artists by saying, "Isaac Hayes, you set the standard for everybody who came after you."

Hayes, adorned in his trademark black tunic with gold trim, took a moment while at the podium to address the hip-hop community. "To the rap and hip-hop community--it's not all about the bling-bling and all the gold and Cristal," he said. "The music, creative art flow, that's what it's all about. Know the business. Learn the business. Own something. And don't slip into the traps. And don't forget about your 'hood, the kids in the 'hood."

Hayes also thanked the Church of Scientology during his acceptance speech, for all it has brought into his life.

Hayes began his career in the '60s as the keyboardist for the Mar-Keys, who can be heard on recordings for Otis Redding and William Bell. With David Porter, Hayes wrote songs for a number of artists--including Sam & Dave's biggest hits, "Hold On, I'm Comin'" and "Soul Man"--and then embarked on a successful solo career. His 1970s solo work was a groundbreaking mix of smooth grooves, powerful funk, lush strings, and his trademark intimate, seductive vocal style. He was hugely influential on subsequent generations of both R&B crooners and funk musicians.

Hayes continues to record, and is also the voice of "Chef" on the animated cable series South Park.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Ramones and The Talking Heads over AC/DC? This is the Rock and Roll hall of fame isn't it? I'm Befuddled.
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NEWS - Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder Bows Down To The Ramones
    03/19/2002

(3/19/02, 6 p.m. ET) -- Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder inducted the Ramones into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame during Monday night's (March 18) ceremonies in New York. Vedder made a rambling 17-minute speech about the group's groundbreaking sound, their immense influence, and how underappreciated they were during their 20-plus years in existence.

Sporting a fresh mohawk, Vedder told the crowd, "When punk finally broke in '91, the Ramones still weren't brought along for the ride, even though Nirvana, Rancid, (and) Green Day wouldn't have existed without them."

Vedder said that he is also someone who is indebted to the group. "You know, punk bands now sell with one record--their first or second record--sell 10 times the amount of records that the Ramones did throughout their career with 20-something records. That's why I go over to Johnny Ramone's house and do yard work three times a week, just to absolve some of the guilt."

Vedder continued, "And a bunch of people do it, like (U2's) Bono and Edge do the windows. Kirk Hammett, the guitar player from Metallica, he dusts, house cleans, makes French toast. That's a true story," he said with a laugh.

Green Day was also on hand to perform the Ramones classics "Teenage Lobotomy," "Rockaway Beach," and "Blitzkrieg Bop." The surviving Ramones have vowed never to perform again following the death of Joey Ramone, who succumbed to cancer last April.

-- Neal Weiss, Los Angeles and Bruce Simon, New York

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

What a drag it is getting old...

David Byrne reminds me of that guy that played J. Peterman on "Seinfeld". Chris Frantz reminds me of Julia Child!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by billy007:
    What a drag it is getting old...

David Byrne reminds me of that guy that played J. Peterman on "Seinfeld". Chris Frantz reminds me of Julia Child!

A reason not to see them on a reunion tour! [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    They're pretty much the same age of the Various VH guys Fanhalen. I take it you'll be boycotting any future VH shows on the basis of them being old farts too?

Having recently caught DB on tour, the age thing isn't a huge problem.

Intrestingly after the show Frantz made a comment that they were going to at least CONSIDER a more permanant reuniting.

[ March 20, 2002 at 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Goo ]

A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, maybe they break out the "Just for Men" haircoloring treatments and hit the treadmill before they tour, Goo!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Probably not a bad idea. Frantz looks like he ate Sammy Hagars post-show buffet table!
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......