Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I highly advise anyone who is interested in music or the music biz, take a look at this great opinion piece written by Janis Ian. That's all I'll say.

http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That article rules. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

house of pain
    Last Online

03.02.05 @ 02:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great. Please listen to this.

If I create something and someone takes it w/o paying me for it, they have just stolen from me.

And yes, I may choose to make that product available for free at any time for whatever reason I choose (publicity, marketing) but that still doesn't make it "up for grabs."

It's not yours just because you want it and there are no security cameras around to see you.
    <a href="http://www.starcalledsun.com" target="_blank">www.starcalledsun.com</a>

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by inforthekill:
    Great. Please listen to this.

If I create something and someone takes it w/o paying me for it, they have just stolen from me.

And yes, I may choose to make that product available for free at any time for whatever reason I choose (publicity, marketing) but that still doesn't make it "up for grabs."

It's not yours just because you want it and there are no security cameras around to see you.
    I'm not so sure that was the main point of the article. Yes, there is the theft element of song downloading and that can't be ignored. But I think another equally strong point is that the record industry has dirt on their hands in this matter as well. I can't speak as a professional musician, but it would seem to me that artists wouldn't have to worry so much about free downloading if they were treated a little better by their own industry. If I download a whole CD, of course the artists sees no money. But is that really so much worse than the 75 cents or so they would see from the sale of a $15 compact disc???

I think one of the points Janis Ian tried to make is that it is the height of hypocrisy for the record industry to cry foul and say that a bunch of internet-savvy college kids are ruining the music industry. Meanwhile, they turn around and screw artists in every way possible and also spend millions of dollars on no-talents like Mariah Carey and Britney Spears.

I think a lot of the anger musicians like Lars Ulrich have would be better directed at record companies, not their own fans.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The artist wins in file downloads, because then the people will actually buy it if they like it(i know i do), and then go see the artist LIVE(i know i do), which goes into the artist's pocket, not the record industries.

the record companies want their 90% in profits of the CD's sales for basically acting like a credit card.