Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its close, real close, but I'd have to for Priest. I like that Halford High pitched scream plus songs like Electric Eye, The Sentinel, and The Night Comes Down just push them over the edge. However, Eddie is cooler than those Robot things Judas Priest had on some of there covers.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I started a poll on this a little while ago and my pick is Priest. Rob Halford can really scream his ass off and the Downing/Tipton guitar duo is amazing. I've never really gotten into Maiden besides hearing their greatest hits.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:56 PM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

Maiden easily.

Maiden had a run of excellent albums that Priest can't match. "Number Of The Beast," "Piece of Mind," "Powerslave," "Live After Death," and "Somewhere In Time" are all great albums. Heck I'll even throw "Killers" and "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" in there too. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Maiden all the way, baby!! For the reasons Brett posted... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

02.05.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MAIDEN!!! no doubt about that!
    Al their albums up to 7th son are fucking brilliant. everything about their music is perfect. Bruce's voice, the double leads, the 'galloping' guitars, steve's songwrinting and own bass style, etc...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

PRIEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gonna go with MAIDEN. Though I like Priest too~
    Tough call here.
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Favorite VH Album

women and children first
    Favorite VH Song

humans being
    Last Online

02.10.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The best 2 bands in Metal.
    But Priest is where it's at! NOBODY can top the voice and stage presence of Rob Halford.
    "And the Cradle will Rock!"

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As I already said a while ago....

A real toughie for me since I love both bands.

But I'd have to go with Iron Maiden on that one.

I even think the stuff they did without Bruce is classy. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Well here's my little Prist/Maiden band member vs. band member breakdown. Obviously some members of both bands have changed over the years, so I chose to pick from each band's strongest line-up, which for both is expectedly their early 80's lineups.

Rob Halford vs. Bruce Dickinson
    This is a toughie, at least for me. A real toughie. Both of these guys have such distinctive voices, such powerful voices, but I think the fact I like Maiden's music more, I'm going to go with the "Air Raid Siren" Dickinson over the "Metal God." But there is no doubt that Halford has one of the great metal voices of all time. I just think Dickinson's ability to harmonize with himself on stuff like "Run To The Hills" and "Aces High" is just too good. Although Halford's scream on the beginning of "Screaming For Vengeance" is pretty damn cool too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Glenn Tipton/K.K. Downing vs. Dave Murray/Adrian Smith
    Both formidable duos, but man I don't think you can come close to beating the Murray/Smith combo. Their harmonized guitar runs were unmatched by other 80's metal bands, and their ability to add a bit more edge to their playing than Tipton and Downing puts them over the top for me. They had more style than just chugging along on power chords. The Priest axe slingers had a more 70's feel to their playing, the Maiden guys were a bit younger, and I think their playing reflects a growth from late 70's British metal players.

Ian Hill vs. Steve Harris
    This isn't even a contest. Besides being one of the most creative metal bass players of all time, Steve Harris wrote almost every Maiden song, lyrics and all. The guy is just a brilliant player, and Ian Hill is nowhere near his league. Done deal here.

Dave Holland vs. Nicko McBrain
    Again to me this is a no-brainer (no pun intended). [img]smile.gif[/img] McBrain's work on "Piece of Mind," "Powerslave" and "Live After Death" easily put him over the top here. McBrain is a far more versatile and creative drummer than Holland. Perfect example is that the biggest complaint about arguably Judas Priest's best album, "Screaming For Vengeance" is Holland's drumming. It is totally uninspired and frankly, boring. I thought Holland's work on the earlier and more laid-back "Point of Entry" album was more ferocious than his mundane drumming on a turbo-charged "Vengeance" album. Shouldn't have been that way.

Anyways this is just one's man's opinion. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to say Maiden hands-down. I always liked Dickenson's voice more than Halford's. Halford gets higher, but Bruce just has more power, IMO. Plus I think Maiden wrote much more interesting songs, progression and style-wise. And the big plus is that they're able to work through their differences (unlike Priest, a certain Pasadena band, and lots of others). Saw them at the Greek on their first reunion tour and it was like '86 all over again. They still rock like monsters!
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gotta go with my first love, Maiden! But I must say that Halford's last solo album blew away that Brave New World turd.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

03.22.09 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is real damn hard one to pick but going with Iron Maiden cause they have both Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith back in the band.

Up the Irons
    “I made some mistakes tonight but we sing and play our f***ing instruments. Accept no substitute “ Tom Petty at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center July 3, 2002

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOW--I can remember debating this 20 years ago when both "Screaming" and "Number" came out in '82--the debate still lives! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

Brett's pretty much nailed it on the head, thoguh I think the Bruce/Rob comparison is even tougher to decide a winner, fuck it--call it a tie! These two get along great, right?

My first concert I went to was for Maiden opening for Priest that year--still one of the best shows I ever saw!

Although, Brett, the way you matched 'em up, I half-expected to see a prediction at the bottom!

For example, Lakers win in 7. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Originally posted by NE169:
    Although, Brett, the way you matched 'em up, I half-expected to see a prediction at the bottom!

For example, Lakers win in 7. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    That's low. Just rub the salt deeper in the wound man. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!