Thread: The Wall

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I noticed that a few of us had this on our list of top 20. IMO, it is one of the greatest albums of all time. I love everything about it, the lyrics, the music, everything in the background and in between songs.

I think that lyrically the best song on this album is Nobody's Home. It is so under rated. That song just moves me everytime I hear it.

Musically, I love Comfortably Numb. I think it is the best peice of music ever written by Gilmour. His solo at the end is incredible.

Other very cool songs off of it are: Run like Hell, Young Lust and In the Flesh. Vera is sweet, also.

I love the way that haunting melody from Another Brick keeps recurring throughout the album.

What are your thoughts on this album? The live album is called "Is there anybody out there?" I'd love to know what you think about that, too. Also, comments on the movie, if you've seen it.
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

"Shutthefuckupity" - DIF on John Cusack.

"Baby, where'd you sleep last night?
    Your hair is all tangled
    and you ain't walking right." - Robert Johnson

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by diamondsgirl:

I think that lyrically the best song on this album is Nobody's Home. It is so under rated. That song just moves me everytime I hear it.

Musically, I love Comfortably Numb. I think it is the best peice of music ever written by Gilmour. His solo at the end is incredible.

Other very cool songs off of it are: Run like Hell, Young Lust and In the Flesh. Vera is sweet, also.

I love the way that haunting melody from Another Brick keeps recurring throughout the album.

All of the above, and adding Mother for the guitar solo [img]smile.gif[/img]

Check this out:
    David Gilmour: "I still think some of the music is incredibly naff, but The Wall is conceptually brilliant. At the time I thought it was Roger listing all the things that can turn a person into an isolated human being. I came to see it as as one of the luckiest people in the world issuing a catalogue of abuse and bile against people who'd never done anything to him. Roger was taking more and more of the credits. In the songbook for this album against Comfortably Numb it says Music by Gilmour and Waters. It shouldn't. He did the lyrics. I did the music. I kept finding hundreds of little things like that. Shouldn't bitch, but one does feel unjustly done."

Nick Mason: "The recording was very tense, mainly because Roger was starting to go a bit mad. This was the record when he fell out badly with Rick. Rick has a natural style, a very specific piano style, but he doesn't come up with pieces easily, or to order. Which is a problem when other people are worrying about who did what and who should get the credit. There was even talk of Roger and Dave elbowing me out and carrying on as a duo. There were points during The Wall when Roger and Dave were really carrying the thing. Rick was useless, and I wasn't very much help to anyone either."

David Gilmour: "Generally Nick worked hard and played well on The Wall. He even worked out a way of reading music for the drums. But there was one track called Mother which he really didn't get. So I hired Jeff Porcaro to do it. And Roger latched on to this idea, the way he always did with my ideas, and began to think, is Nick really necessary?"

During the sessions for The Wall, Richard Wright was basically forced out of Pink Floyd.

Rick Wright: "Roger came up with the whole album on a demo, which everyone felt was potentially very good but musically very weak. Very weak indeed. Bob [Ezrin], Dave and myself worked on it to make it more interesting. But Roger was going through a big ego thing at the time, saying that I wasn't putting enough in, although he was making it impossible for me to do anything. The crunch came when we all went off on holiday towards the end of the recording. A week before the holiday was up I got a call from Roger in America, saying come over immediately. Then there was this band meeting in which Roger told me he wanted me to leave the band. At first I refused. So Roger stood up and said that if I didn't agree to leave after the album was finished, he would walk out then and there and take the tapes with him. There would be no album, and no money to pay off our huge debts. So I agreed to go. I had two young kids to support. I was terrified. Now I think I made a mistake. It was Roger's bluff. But I really didn't want to work with this guy anymore."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yes...the band definately had a saga going on during the making of this album. I think it fueled the intensity of it.
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

Your hair is all tangled

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Musically, I love Comfortably Numb. I think it is the best piece of music ever written by Gilmour. His solo at the end is incredible.
    The Wall is a must have cd, and other pink floyd albums too. i am listening to the song wish you were here.
    Comfortably Numb is a great song! laner introduced me to it. They are in my top 5 bands of all time. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I just don't know why I missed this band. I'm a big fan of so many of those bands of a similar era (Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who) but I don't own a single Pink Floyd album. My brother had the Wall, but I never got into it past the well known songs. It's an album I keep meaning to pick up, but always end up buying something else instead.

One day!!!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

ALL OF THIM
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYTHING SEP HOW MENY SAY I
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glenn go out and bye both The Wall and The Wall Live both are great. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    "I Want The Best! Of Both Worlds!<br />AAAAAAWWWWWWWWW-Van Halen Live With Out A Net.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    I just don't know why I missed this band. I'm a big fan of so many of those bands of a similar era (Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who) but I don't own a single Pink Floyd album. My brother had the Wall, but I never got into it past the well known songs. It's an album I keep meaning to pick up, but always end up buying something else instead.

One day!!!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Shame on you.....

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by ANGEL4U:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by diamondsgirl:

All of the above, and adding Mother for the guitar solo [img]smile.gif[/img]

Check this out:
    David Gilmour: "I still think some of the music is incredibly naff, but The Wall is conceptually brilliant. At the time I thought it was Roger listing all the things that can turn a person into an isolated human being. I came to see it as as one of the luckiest people in the world issuing a catalogue of abuse and bile against people who'd never done anything to him. Roger was taking more and more of the credits. In the songbook for this album against Comfortably Numb it says Music by Gilmour and Waters. It shouldn't. He did the lyrics. I did the music. I kept finding hundreds of little things like that. Shouldn't bitch, but one does feel unjustly done."

</font>[/QUOTE]Question....did Roger write his own melodies for Comfortably Numb or did David?? If Roger did, then a vocal melody is music...so that would be justification, technically, if they wanna bitch about who wrote what...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Roger and David wrote it, i got it from Allmusic.com i dont know too much about them but i am a huge fan of their music, they are a great band- one of my favorites. vh is #1 of course.
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Probably my most played album ever. Probably listened to that more in one setting than any van halen album. It's got a whole shitload of business goin on in it that you either really want to investigate, or get away from. The stuff you want to get away from, you end up really wanting to investigate. I'ts a very introspective piece. Back when I was working as a golf pro, I would practice putting/chipping for hours listening to the wall in my headphones. I'd take it fishing with me. I'd get high to it. Try to figure it out. I'm still not sure if I fully get it when I watch the movie. It has quite a few layers to it.

Glenn, of all the people to NOT experience the wall, I would NEVER have guessed you to be one of em'!!

Now go get yourself some 4 way window pane, and a couple grams, kick back in your most comfortable chair and put it on repeat. See ya next year. lol.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i need to buy the real thing, all i'v got is the burned version. And it doesnt fade into songs like on the real one (what is that called?)
    1 disk is just madness and then 2 disk is calmer, i might as well listen to Comfortably NUMB when i get my tooth drilled. lol. it is truly one of Floyds greatest albums ever, no, its one of the best rock albums ever. i even listened to it today [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by seenbad:
    listening to the wall in my headphones.
    IMO, the best way to listen to it. You get the full effect.
    Seen, what is your favorite song off of it?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OMG, i am listening to Floyd the wall right now with head phones, i love the wall- all of the versions and The Happiest Days of our lifes, and next disk, Run Like H*ll, it sounds like freedom, the guitar, you're running away. you know? Pink Floyd is the best at what they do.

When i think of the lyrics in this song, it almost makes me want to start a riot like they did in the video. Pure Genius

We don't need no education
    We dont need no thought control
    No dark sarcasm in the classroom
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
    All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
    All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

We don't need no education
    We dont need no thought control
    No dark sarcasm in the classroom
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
    All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
    All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

"Wrong, Do it again!"
    "If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you
    have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"
    "You! Yes, you behind the bikesheds, stand still laddy!"

the site : Pink Floyd Page (unoffical)

[ February 24, 2002 at 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Mean_Street ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by diamondsgirl:
    quote:
    listening to the wall in my headphones.
    IMO, the best way to listen to it. You get the full effect.
    Seen, what is your favorite song off of it?
    [/QUOTE]Trendy, yes, but comfortably numb has got to be it. Vera stands out to me for some reason, and Mother. I'm more hit by the lesser strictnine affected part of the album I suppose.

One of the more memorable days I've ever had was listening to it on my walkman all by my self, walking through some dense growth forrest area on a sunny day under the influence of some highly potent things that I of course would never recommend to anybody. [img]smile.gif[/img] Quite a day!!
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trendy, yes, but comfortably numb has got to be it. Vera stands out to me for some reason, and Mother. I'm more hit by the lesser strictnine affected part of the album I suppose.

One of the more memorable days I've ever had was listening to it on my walkman all by my self, walking through some dense growth forrest area on a sunny day under the influence of some highly potent things that I of course would never recommend to anybody. [img]smile.gif[/img] Quite a day!![/QUOTE]

Trendy or not...Comfortably Numb is incredible.
    Sounds like a great walk you had there....

Your hair is all tangled