Register
    Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some, or Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What do you guys think of guitarist Robben Ford?
    I'm opening at The Coachhouse (San Juan Capistrano) for him in March.
    How big of a crowd will there be at the club? Anybody got a guess?
    He's a great Blues/JazzFusion guy, so I know I'm looking forward to it! I've never seen a show at this Coachouse, but I hear it's a fun place [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    "If I took you to the river, well I bet you'd swim upstream.."<br /> -JL<br /> L.O.C.<br /> -2003-

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just saw Ford with Jing Chi (Jimmy Haslip & Vinnie Colaiuta) a couple of months ago...are you saying your VH tribute is opening for Ford?

[img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nope. that was another band, I have moved on. L.O.C. is my solo band, I just wanted a 'band' name, instead of just my name. Obviously I named it after a VH song, but these days not a lot of people know the awesome song that inspired the name.....
    We've been busy playing every week, and making a record. We are in the studio next week, and are already playing the new tunes live. Some of the tunes are 'rockers' but some are ...well..I'd have to say verrry tasty music..kinda jazzy almost...definitely different....good stuff, I think, I'm real happy with the way evrything is coming along. Steve Lewis, at one time with Autograph, is one of my co-writers, and we're having a blast!
    How was the show? I can't wait to see Robben, I hear he's great live.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

TJ1,

Thanx for the clarify. Ford was solid, but the Jing Chi line-up clearly overshadowed him. Colaiuta was incredible, and even the "no-name" keyboard player (1st name was Omar, but no major credentials from the past like the other 3 guys) were hands-down way ahead of Ford. Which was funny, because my Real Deal guitar player came along and assured me Ford was far better than the Jing Chi project made him look.

...got a couple non-sequiter questions for ya: did you ever do "Girl Gone Bad" in On Fire, and what's your toughest VH Roth tune to sing?

Mine's "Feel Your Love Tonight"...we don't do it... [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shit, Feel Your Love is easy I got no probs with that compared to our 'title song' On Fire. We would open with that, and those chorus screams are BRUTAL-Never did Girl Gone Bad, but I think that wouldn't be very hard (humming through it in my head) ...yeah that falsetto in the Giirr-hoooo-Goone baaahad(how do you spell the sounds of a falsetto..?...When they say the line twice, sometimes he's got that falsetto to stretch the line out. If the song is too late in the set, ya might lose that note, but I doubt it if you're warmed up good and don't blow it out of your ass in the first few songs.
    My all time favorite VH tune to sing was Dance The Night Away...hands down....When the oooooooo-oooowoo-wo-ooo- yeahhhh- line hits, man I feel like I'm goonna jet one off....that part is such an endorphin kick....and the lead + background kicks on the chorus....fuuck..
    "If I took you to the river, well I bet you'd swim upstream.."<br /> -JL<br /> L.O.C.<br /> -2003-

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"On Fire" is a piece of cake for me. We just don't play many venues friendly to a tune that rockin'.

"Feel Your Love" is just a vocals-heavy tune...not much break time in there for the singer. "Ain't Talkin" and "Unchained" are also laborious and I always front-load those two songs into the first half of a show. I like "Unchained" as a set-opener because it fires up the band. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Glad to hear you found another band (that's actually worth pursuing) so quickly. Here in the Bay Area that's almost impossible. The talent pool here sucks. I'm lucky to be in a high-quality cover band playing stuff no one else plays (or can play...) that looks to have a long shelf life. Plus I have plenty of time for my original project, which is developing slowly. I'd lke to hear some of your new band's stuff. Who knows, maybe your band and my band could team up for a show down in SoCal (Palomino's?) later on this year...

The Real Deal

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey man you never know. It could be that we come UP the coastline for a few weeks worth of road trip.......what's cookin there? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]