Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Warning: Old Dude Alert!

When I got to Boston this past weekend, one of my first acts upon getting in the car was to scan the radio for a station and I hit upon one that was playing all 60s and 70s music and I heard some stuff I haven't heard in awhile. Now I grew up in the seventies and a lot of the "pop" music from back then still sounds good to me - I'm talking about the Paul Simon, James Taylor, Carole King, Carly Simon type stuff, heck I'll even admit to enjoying a Gordon Lightfoot or Seals & Croft tune from time to time. It was simple stuff with a simple message - no over production, no dramatic emotion, no "woe is me" message, no divas. Of course in the late '70s I drifted more to harder rock, but as I mentioned I still enjoy hearing some of the other stuff. I just wonder, why does it seem like no one makes this kind of music anymore? Even the aforementioned artists, the stuff they make now is either mellower or overproduced or there's something missing. I mean, remember when Elton John was fun? Is it rap? Certainly, when rap started showing up in the early '80s, we figured it for a 3 and out and yet here it is, all these years later. And the sad part is not only is it its own genre, but it's permeated so many others as well. We all know of so-called rock 'n rap bands and I've heard rappish country songs too. It's too bad that the legacy of the Motown sound (I miss that, too) is reduced to this. The whole sampling sh*t, which was pretty much borne of the scratching sh*t. I saw a band on "The Drew Carey Show" last week, think it was Sugar Ray, looked like a normal band for the most part - bass, guitar, drums - except they also employed a "DJ" at the back, scratching a fill every once in awhile. How did this happen? Who were the people that decided that musical ability was not an asset anymore - we'll just sample someone else's work and loop it behind you while you don't even sing, just talk! And the lewder and cruder the better! Unbelievable! I mean, think of the person who "discovered" Eminem - how do you decide that this person is worthy of a recording contract vs. all the other trailer park trash in Michigan rapping about offing their mom and their wife? I just don't get it anymore. Music, not just rock 'n roll, used to be by-and-large about having a good time, enjoying life. Sure we had some protest songs in the '60s and '70s, but man, we were fighting a war and still people managed to sing more upbeat songs than protest songs. I hate to see what the people responsible for music are going to be "singing" about now - they've been bitching and moaning for the last 20 years while life was good, what the hell they gonna do now that we have a serious problem on our hands? Even into the '80s - I wasn't a big fan of all the various hairbands, but a lot of people here were and those bands usually sang about the better side of life. When did it all change? Was it rap telling people how bad life was in the city and then grunge telling people how bad life was in the 'burbs and the eventual takeover and crossover has now got everyone down? People on this site that play music, and I don't care what kind of music it is, when you get a shot with your band to write something, write something to make us smile, to feel good. I'd rather go back to singing about "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover" instead of "50 Ways To Off Your Mother"

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sure many of us swore as teenagers that we'd never grow up to be like our parents (especially when pissed at 'em!) when we got older.

Well, we not only became our parents, but in some cases, get even more pissed off than our folks when it comes to shitty "music"! I told my older daughter to return a (c)rap CD to her friend cause of all the swearing & shit! I'll never understand Top 40 radio, how they go from Britney one song, to some (c)rapper posing as a thug-wannabe! [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

At least we got something to piss the kids off right back, instead of giving 'em something lame!
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by billy007:
    Now I grew up in the seventies and a lot of the "pop" music from back then still sounds good to me - I'm talking about the Paul Simon, James Taylor, Carole King, Carly Simon type stuff, heck I'll even admit to enjoying a Gordon Lightfoot or Seals & Croft tune from time to time. It was simple stuff with a simple message - no over production, no dramatic emotion, no "woe is me" message, no divas. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about:

Shawn Colvin
    Susan Tedeschi
    Johnny Lang
    Sheryl Crow
    Semisonic (esp. their older stuff)
    John Hiatt
    Son Volt
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You might try Five for Fighting as well. Or Pete Yorn. They're both kind of mellow, but neither paints a bleak view of the world.

Honestly, I pin it all on the decline of the singer-songwriter. Most of what is pop right now is a corporate product. The reason the music you like isn't popular is not because it doesn't have an audience, it's because it doesn't make money. Teenagers working for the first time come into a lot of disposeable income. They don't have a house payment, a car payment, kids, pets, car insurance, health insurance, life insurance, electric bills, water bills... you get the idea. As such, they apply their money to things they think define them as a person - clothes, music, etc. The music industry panders to them because they spend the most money on music. Hell, I'm 21 and I'm already on the old end of the spectrum.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by billy007:
    [QB I just wonder, why does it seem like no one makes this kind of music anymore? Even the aforementioned artists, the stuff they make now is either mellower or overproduced or there's something missing. I mean, remember when Elton John was fun? People on this site that play music, and I don't care what kind of music it is, when you get a shot with your band to write something, write something to make us smile, to feel good. I'd rather go back to singing about "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover" instead of "50 Ways To Off Your Mother"[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent post billy [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Well, I find it very hard to listen to the rap and grunge you're talking about.....me, I like fun songs, songs that make you want to smile and throw a party (VH). I'd say people making music today don't really care as much about how they express it like they did in the past.

I will say that my kids seem to like fun songs, also (enter backstreet ,nstync, and Spear Brittney) probably because they aren't exposed to the rap and grunge.

lol, I heard the song Convoy a few weeks ago and downloaded it (old song)...my son loves it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] "mom, play that again" woohoo!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~