Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Show tonight in Dallas. I can't wait. Should be in for a treat with those three.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought about going to that too, but I'm going to Rush on Monday instead.
    My first Rush concert! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey xaminer, let me know what you think of Next Stage. I haven't been there yet.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

Do you by chance know where it's at? I can't find anything on the net. I'm going to stop at the Guitar Center in Arlington for an exchange, maybe they'll know.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Next Stage is in Grand Prairie, 1/2 mile North of I-30 on Beltline, next to Lone Star Park.

Here you go sir: NEXT STAGE
    Click the Next Stage link for a map. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ August 16, 2002, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: P1 ]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

KING'S X RULE!!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

King's X did rock. They opened the show and was pretty impressive. Dream Theater was a bit too 80's for me. Lead singer still in leather and long blonde hair. When he wasn't singing, it was pretty good.

Joe flat out rocked. He opened with Flying in a Blue Dream and floored me. I also got to see him play Midnight. He didn't play it on his DVD. Midnight was awesome; it blew me away.

The venue was a great venue for Joe. It's a theater style venue. It was clean, nice, appeared new. Seats were comfortable.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Review: Fans rock gently at show by Satriani, Dream Theater
    08/18/2002

By MIKE DANIEL / The Dallas Morning News

GRAND PRAIRIE – At metal concerts, the crowd is frequently the most entertaining thing to watch.

That wasn't near the case at Friday's Joe Satriani/Dream Theater/King's X show at NextStage at Grand Prairie. The audience, which took up about three-fourths of the venue, was one of the most well behaved heavy-rock throngs in recent memory. At times attendees mimicked a polite, attentive opera crowd, albeit one with extremely casual fashion sense.

There were several reasons for this. The average age was about 35, well past the days of demonstrative ranting. All three acts have been around since the metal heyday of the late 1980s and have a doggedly loyal fan base. A surprising number of couples were there, as well; men, of course, tend to behave around spouses and girlfriends.

Finally, all three acts play so-called "thinking man's" metal, full of grandiose song structures and technical mastery. It's not about sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll for them or their legions. This is music one takes a seat to rock to.

King's X, who opened promptly at 7:30 p.m., is known for energetic, soulful live performances. Its short, six-tune set was businesslike and low-key, understandable given the group's bottom billing and limited setup. Bassist Doug Pinnick looked perturbed and disinterested at times – in fact, the whole band did – but he and guitarist Ty Tabor peaked at the end with the last two songs, "It's Love" (the group's biggest hit) and "We Were Born to Be Loved." Of note: They played nothing from their latest album, Manic Moonlight; not surprising since it's bombed sales-wise and rumors of a breakup swirl.

Mr. Satriani, perhaps today's reigning solo rock-guitar wizard, is sharing headlining duties on the this tour with Dream Theater, arguably progressive metal's top act. The New York-based band gets primary billing on most dates in the eastern United States, while Mr. Satriani finishes shows in the West.

On this evening the crowd seemed much more into Dream Theater's music than that of the bald-headed Mr. Satriani, who blew through 16 songs in 85 minutes and who commanded far less of the relatively stark stage. His brand of six-string (sometimes seven) pyrotechnics translates far better in a smaller hall; his music tends to sound like homogenous, groove-based noodling in a place this big.

Dream Theater frontman James LaBrie thankfully embellished little, leaving the set open for model-handsome guitarist John Petrucci and boisterous drummer Mike Portnoy to command the ship. The highlights were the riff medley of past Dream Theater tunes present on their 1999 concept album, Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory, and their 42-minute blast through Disc 2 of their latest, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. The only problem: Bass player John Myung was largely lost in the mix, though that's often the case on Dream Theater's recordings.

In the end the concert was all about the guitarists: obviously for Mr. Satriani, technically for Mr. Petrucci and by default for Mr. Tabor. That's what many came to see anyhow. Sitting down.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

It was not a good stand up venue. The seats were nice. And, yes, I had to behave.