Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

McCartney Tells Yoko Ono to Chill Over Credits
    OK, understand what Paul is saying. It's really no big deal, it won't change the royalty rate, he just wants his name first on his songs and John's name first on John's songs. Seems reasonable enough. But, why now? Why not make a stink about this back when he and John hated eachother? It's obviously something that has bothered him for a while, so why did he wait 30 years to bring it up? I like Paul; he was always my favorite Beatle. But if he agreed to the Lennon/McCartney credit, I think he should stick to it. Most people know who wrote which songs anyway. This whole thing seems pretty shallow to me (on both sides).
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Paul has brought this up numerous times before. It really didn't come out until after John was murdered and Lennon was instantly cannonized by the public and media. (Anyone remember that John said after Elvis died, "Everyone loves you when you're dead"? He was right).

Paul has always been my favorite Beatle too. In my opinion, Paul is so concerned about being forgotten by history (which I find difficult to fathom) he is charging forth with this now. He's just a guy who desperately wants approval. This just isn't the way to go about it.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I don't see the problem. I agree with Paul, if he wrote it, he gets first billing. I don't even truly understand why Yoko would have complete autonomy in this. Shit, if it wasn't for her, the Beatles would have more songs together...

[ December 19, 2002, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree, Paul should have been given the first credit for the songs he wrote primarily, but that's not what he agreed to 40 years ago. And I don't understand why Yoko has a say in it either (other than that she is probably in charge of John's estate). Doesn't Michael Jackson own the rights to all the Beatles' songs? Seems like he's the one Paul should be talking to.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

VH1, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Top of the World
    Last Online

01.30.07 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by P1:
    I agree, Paul should have been given the first credit for the songs he wrote primarily, but that's not what he agreed to 40 years ago. And I don't understand why Yoko has a say in it either (other than that she is probably in charge of John's estate). Doesn't Michael Jackson own the rights to all the Beatles' songs? Seems like he's the one Paul should be talking to.
    Here's an article that can possibly answer your question. It's from FoxNews.com:

Yoko Still Gets the Last Laugh With Paul

You want to know why Paul McCartney has changed the byline of the Beatles songs he "wrote" to McCartney/Lennon from Lennon/McCartney? It's a great story and I'm sorry I'm getting to explain it so late after the release of McCartney's new Back in the U.S. album, but we've been preoccupied with other matters.

Since Michael Jackson bought the Beatles catalog in 1983, McCartney has been furious with him, and rightly so. But the root of McCartney's anger comes from the 1927 Songwriting Act.

That act, as I've explained many times before, gives heirs of a songwriter all the rights to his or her music once the original copyrights run out. It doesn't matter if they've been sold to someone else. If the songwriter died during the copyright term, once the term runs out the new owner loses the rights and they revert back to the heirs.

This means that because John Lennon died, it didn't matter that the rights to the songs were with Michael Jackson. Once the copyrights had to be renewed, Jackson lost Lennon's portion; they reverted to Yoko Ono and her son, Sean.

The Beatles songs were under 28-year copyright protection. So songs in 1962 had to be renewed in 1990, and so on. When they were renewed, Lennon's ownership — which had been sold to Jackson — started going to Yoko. It was not lost on McCartney.

This meant that because John was dead, he was no longer under Jackson's agreement. McCartney, however, was. To this day, half of his portion of royalties from the Beatles catalog goes to Jackson (or now, Sony/ATV Music Publishing).

This accounts for 19 songs Paul says he was the primary writer on. Accordingly, since he feels that he's being ripped off, McCartney switched the songwriting credits on those songs for his solo albums. I guess he felt he might as well get something out of it.

Who really knows what the agreement was between Paul and John? Were the songs always supposed to be listed as "Lennon and McCartney"? Changing them seems disrespectful, especially since Lennon is dead and can't speak for himself.

But McCartney has not respected Lennon's wishes since before the Beatles broke up. In 1969, McCartney himself may have actually been responsible for breaking the group up when he went behind Lennon's back and bought a huge amount of stock in Northern Songs Ltd., their publisher. The two had always agreed to have an equal investment in the company.

When it was revealed, Lennon was so angered that, according to Steven Gaines in the best of the Beatles books, The Love You Make, he stormed out of a meeting and didn't return.

When I asked Paul about this in 1990, if he had any regret about it, he said: "No. I was investing in myself."

So Yoko cleans up no matter who sings the Beatles songs now. All she can do is thank McCartney, frankly, for re-recording them on the new album.

As for Back in the U.S., I was surprised when I finally caught up with it how good it was, and how supple McCartney's voice sounded on several tracks including "The Long and Winding Road" and "Every Night." I am assuming it's not computer-enhanced; in the live show it sounded just as good.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you, sir [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Very interesting