Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I guess I should preface this slightly; I don't use Napster, but that's only because I'm computer illiterate, otherwise I'm sure I would use it. I happen to think that Metallica is technically in the right, but I still think they're fools for digging their heels in about this. Image is very important, and I think they're going to take a huge hit in this department because of their stance on Napster.

Anyway, here is what I was thinking about. Most people here on the Links that respond to the Metallica/Napster topics are against Metallica's stance (myself included). But how would we feel if it was Van Halen that stood up and said that they were going to join Metallica in this fight? Would we see the artists' side of it differently if it was our favorite band instead of Metallica?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Buying a record at a store is kind of a "religous experience" for some of us "old timers"

The anticipation. The waiting. Then finally, it's in your hands. It's something tangible.

I have a lot of Mp3's, but it's really rare bootleg stuff. Would I want it on a CD, yes but, I would probably never listen to it.

Actual albums put out by the band should be purchased in a record store to get the full "effect". The liner notes, the pictures,........ the lyrics............

But if it's live stuff, unreleased stuff........and the band isn't going to profit from these recordings, then I love the idea of trading Mp3's on line.

That's just my take on the situation.........

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jimmy said pretty much exactly what I was going to say. If Alex Van Halen were flapping his gums about Napster the way Lar$ Ulrich is, he would be just as big of an asshole for doing so.

Also, if VH ordered Napster to ban anyone with VH MP3's I would have to unshare a lot of files, so let's hope it doesn't come to that.

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

If VH really cared about that kind of stuff, fan sites like this one and all the trader sites would not exist to begin with. Like FORD said though, if Al or Ed acted like Lar$ Ulrich, I'd think they were assholes too. Of course it doesn't appear VH cares that much about this.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

yeah, I understand that they really dont care about it at all. If they did, and this situation were turned around, I would be a little bummed with our boys. BUT, it would not be nearly as easy to write them off as I have with metallica. I am just too wrapped up in the vh music to really care what there stance is on it. Metallica on the other hand, while I do have a ton of respect for the music that they have created, were pretty easy for me to turn on and pretty much just write them off. I really loved allot of metallica stuff, but I really feel this is bullshit, and has allot to do with putting out a really shitty last record and needing something to blame it on. Napster was it.

------------------
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

YUUNNK!!

(this message will self destruct in 5 seconds)

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

good question though Glenn! In a nut shell, I guess I just love vh too blindly to care. Metallica is different.

------------------
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

YUUNNK!!

(this message will self destruct in 5 seconds)

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I hadn't taken the time to think about that, Glenn. If my favorite band did that sort of thing, I'd be pissed. I've already got all the albums. What I want now is unreleased stuff and live recordings. I'm sure a lot of die-hard Metallica fans are feeling the same way. They're only hurting the true fans, not the casaul "huh, I'll try this" fan.

The only thing I can think of for Metallica to do is something a little unconventional. If they started to put boots and b-sides on their website for public consumption, that might go a small way to improving their image. That would truely be the best of both worlds for them. Control over the content, and the publicity of free music. Might spur quite a few people to go pick up the studio albums as well.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

01.07.12 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only use Napster gets from me is unreleased stuff. I wouldn't be down loading songs off of a new cd. The only songs I have that are on albums are, CGTSNM and MWM, cause before I bought my second BOV1 (in wore out CGTSNM and MWM, as well as some other sngs), I was having...... I don't know.... withdraws. And aside from YLIDMC, God Gave Rock N Roll to You, Fool in the Rain, Give to Live and Jimmy Page and Black Crowes Whole Lotta Love, the only other cd songs I have are from musicals, so Napster doesn't provide me with replacements for cd's.

Though if Al or someone was shooting off about Napster like Lar$ (very funny by the way), I'd probably just be pissed at them. Nothin big, but seeing as how I hate Metallica in the first place, I really can't tell ya.

------------------
    Right Now..... you need to Eat Us And Smile!!!

"A good friend of mine used to say, 'This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.' Think about that for a while." Nuke LaLoosh

"You say you don't wanna dance,
    Honey listen to me.
    Shut your mouth and hit the floor."

[This message has been edited by redfire (edited July 31, 2000 at 06:01 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Honestly I wouldn't care. My take on the whole Napster/music thing is...Yeah, Lar$ and the boys looked like assholes when they went after Napster (especially considering how their career started). But hey, most artists I listen to are assholes, but that doesn't chage their music. Axl Rose was an asshole, but that doesn't change the fact that G' N R had some good music. the brothers Oasis are notorious (sp) assholes but the music ain't bad (imo). Ya might consider some VH members assholes for the various break ups, but they still rock. Now Limp Bizkit has embraced Napster...does that make their music good???? no. So to sum it up...if it was vh I would consider them assholes, but I wouldn't care as long as they kept puttin out good music.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:07 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    On paper I havent got any real problem with Lars (Or anyone) trying to take action against Napster - when it all comes down to it, wouldnt you fight against what you percieve (rightly or wrongly) to be damaging your own income source?

Where the problem lies with metallica (to me at least) is

-Directly taking action against some fans (as I am led to belive they have/did/proposed)

-Having seen fit to use the 'underground' of music distribution for their own means - when it suited them (ie before they were famous)

Personally I dont feel any moral problems within myself about d/l anything - most of the stuff I wouldnt buy anyway - napster or no napster.. stuff I like, I buy

Case in point - I waited for the 'DLR band' album to be released here for 2 months. When it never appeared, I d/l it in its entirity, and burned it on CD (not being prepared to pay the huge shipping cost for a single CD via mail order - only worth doing here if its 5 or more items)

When I (finally) saw the album here, at an import shop, last december (what, 18 months after its release) I happily paid 36 bucks for it, (normally cds are 30 bucks AUS), being I thought it was well worth it. And yeh, half the fun of buying a good album is the liner notes and the 'whole package'

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

the new ones...
    Last Online

06.01.16 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts

hey,

i think sharing the files is cool if it's unreleased material, i saw a gary interview (for vhnd i guess) and he said that he love boots, only die hard fans go for it... billy corgan put on the net about 30 unreleased songs!!! that's pretty cool from them.

what i'm saying is that, if any vh boot were officialy released, i would buy them for sure.

i can see the point of the artist having his work available for free, but it's pretty sad to see the mesures that metallica is taking... i hope vh never does something like that.

------------------
    maybe i'm crazy,
    or just too high...