Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.19.12 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Styx on tour......

I just saw Styx for the very first time in my life on Sunday night in Phoenix, AZ. They are currently on tour with Bad Company and Billy Squier.

Talk about some 70's acts that have their shit together. They all played really well and are all looking really good, health wise.

I am not a Styx fan, don't even own one any of their albums. I have liked a few of their songs from time to time. The girlfriend really wanted to check this show out so we did.

Styx completely blew me away. They are on their game that's for sure. Even without Dennis DeYoung. The guy they got to replace him kicked ass. His vocals were great and he was a very entertaining keyboard player.

Tommy Shaw and James Young have done a great job putting Styx back on the planet. I highly recommend checking out this show.

Bad Company was awesome too. Paul Rodgers continues to be an amazing vocalist.

Billy Squier really impressed me also. He is touring for the 20th anniversary of his "Don't Say No" album and played the whole album from beginning to end. Tight band, great vocals.

On this night, the headlining band was Journey. (93.3 KDKB 30th anniversary show)Pretty decent show, but the new singer doesn't have any stage presence. A lot of people were leaving during their set. Styx just blew them off the stage.

Anyway, if you get a chance and want to hear some good music, catch this show.
    "The sound of Van Halen was meant to spill out, all over your stereo and ruin the rest of your record collection "...David Lee Roth

Check out one of the best bands to come out of Arizona. Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. www.rogerclyne.net

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I am a big fan of Styx's new singer Lawrence Gowan! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] He is well known in Canada. Did they play A Criminal Mind? I heard that they were playing that live, that is a great song! I think Gowan solo is much better than Styx.

I really love Journey's new album Arrival, I am hoping to see them live, I don't care much about stage presence as long as Augeri sings well. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The new lead singer of Journey does have a great voice. It kind of reminded me of Gary Cherone. Gary had this great voice and could sing the shit of both Sammy's and Dave's songs, but he had no presence which made the experience somewhat lacking.

Styx did play "A Criminal Mind". That song was awesome. I will have to check on getting some of Gowan's music. He was very, very good. Got anything you could recommend Yankee?
    "The sound of Van Halen was meant to spill out, all over your stereo and ruin the rest of your record collection "...David Lee Roth

Check out one of the best bands to come out of Arizona. Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. www.rogerclyne.net

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Hi rxman. I would buy his Greatest Hits album, there are lots of great songs on it!

My favorite Gowan songs are... Moonlight Desires, Awake The Giant, Dancing On My Own Ground, You're A Strange Animal, A Criminal Mind, All The Lovers In The World and Cosmetics.

They are all on the Greatest Hits album. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I remember Styx and Gowan in particular this past summer with REO. Man, they just tore it up!! I have never ever heard a band that was so tight and sounded so good (Styx). They had a big, beefy, bass-ey sound to them (REO sounded kind of "tinney" by comparison) and that Gowan fellow played the ivories off the keys. YR, not to sound stupid, but is Gowan big in Canada? I'd assume so if he has a Greatest Hits package out there.

I also remember him spinning his keyboard around on a pedastal. He looked like he was on a merry-go-round pounding on this thing!

I reccommend the Styx show to anyone looking for a great night of classic rock! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Hi Cabo Kid, yes Gowan was big in Canada in the eighties and early nineties! He had a lot of hit's in Canada!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I have no clue why he never made it big in the States. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

I heard that Gowan played A Criminal Mind when he auditioned to be in Styx and they hired him right there! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] That's one of his older songs, it came out around 1985.

-- John Entwistle

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Cool...I may see if some import shop has it laying around somewhere.

Thanks for the tip, Yankee! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Styx when they supported REO at a show in Champaign back in January. Styx stole the show! REO was good, but Styx was amazing! The show was close to Chicago, so Chuck Panozzo snuck down and played bass along with the rest of the band...and they totally rocked. The new keyboard dude...completely AWESOME! I love the rotating keyboard...and the view when it shows his backside. He looks mighty fine in tight pants! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

We were lucky given backstage and all access passes to the entire gig. GOt some excellent pictures. I'll try and get them posted tomorrow sometime.
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Hot For Teacher"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did somebody say STYX?!?!?!?!?

I tell ya, it brings a tear of joy to my eye to see so many people enjoying my band. It's a love fest baby! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

YES, the band does perform "A Criminal Mind" in concert. not only do they perform it, it is included on the new live CD "StyxWorld Live 2001". It does in fact rock.

Oh, and I can't help but agree that the rear view of those spinning keyboards is quite... inspiring. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Tell me LA, have you seen Tommy Shaw do the little striptease he now does at the end of the night? If not I think you need to see the band again... soon. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

OHHH MAMA!

Vicki
    Crazy Styx Chyk
    "Empress of Smut"
    "But kilroy... what about... the young people... of America... they're gonna KILL me! I'm going to die in Texas"-- Tommy Shaw on performing "Kilroy Was Here" at the enormodome in Texas

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Chuck played a couple of songs at the Phoenix show too. That was pretty cool.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I can back Ms.Robotto's reputation. I have known her for years. She is indeed the biggest Styx fan I know. When I heard the "Dennis DeYoung in Queen rumors", I went right to her about it. I'm glad she has come by to visit. She is extremely knowledgeable about Rock history. May I add that the first concert she ever took her younger sister to was the FUCK tour at Nassau Coliseum. She is also a Van Halen fan!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's a couple of shots for starters...

[ June 08, 2001 at 07:00 AM: Message edited by: LA ]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[img]smilies/devil.gif[/img] GRRRRRR [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]

I got it up! Wahey! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 08, 2001 at 07:03 AM: Message edited by: LA ]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's that back view that I was telling you about! Oh, please let me get this up!

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0MwAAAEcSB9IWCsvR!YMECw*n1dXk7wNSsdyNSVWmJEjPoccfz M2o5zDwJoDb95YTJILQAe8hY78F*Li1wRmvVA/Styx.jpg[/img]

Not a bad view... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ June 08, 2001 at 07:58 AM: Message edited by: LA ]