Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A big question. "Rock" sales are down. Hip Hop & R&B are up. Arena tours are going the way of the dinosaur and we're seeing more and more multi-act tour circus' like Ozfest, Warped etc.etc. Is Rock Dead? Why is it that Audioslave, a band many of us consider to be the best "new" group out there, laying at the bottom of the top 40 and the Avrils and Nelly's dominate for the billionth week in a row? Would ANY new VH material go platinum in today's climate? I'm just not sure. What do you guys think of the current music we are being force fed and where did it all go wrong?
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I think MTV and internet downloading is to blame and I think both are pretty much self-explanatory as to why.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I really don't know what happened - we seemed to be having a good ol' time, but then all of a sudden it became a crime to have long hair, wear spandex, play guitars and sing about having fun. Instead you had to wear flannel and whine incessantly. And it only got worse from there...
    What really blows my mind is the continuing popularity of rap music. Thought that was going to die out fast and instead it's infected rock and country. CAN'T ANYBODY SING ANYMORE?
    But again for rock it somehow became uncool to rock. I remember as far back as '88 when Edward & Company went out on tour with some other acts - pretty sure the Scorpions were involved and it was called the "Monsters of Rock" but a lot of people called it the "dinosaurs of rock" - like somehow these bands were now old (and of course that which is old is uncool to the young pups out there). I really don't know what it would take to revitalize rock but it would be a good start if a bunch of young bands would come along playing their instruments and SINGING about having some fun in this world. For all I know they're out there, but no one is selling or playing their records...

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH3... it varies.
    Favorite VH Song

too many to count... I\'m diggin\' Can\'t Get This Stuff No More right now.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Part of the blame would have to go to the MTV/MuchMusic scene of things, but I think most of it has to do with the record companies being run by very non-musical personalities who are purely in it for the cash, and have no interest in contributing to the music. It's become what I consider to be one of the sleaziest and most corporate fields around, right up there with Hollywood and Pro Sports. Plus, North America is so trendy... it's incredibly difficult for real bands to get signed/heard these days since teeny boppers an hip hop are the flavours of the week.

Personally, I don't believe that internet downloading has had the effect that people claim. Yeah, there will always be some retards who download the entire album and not buy it in stores... but those aren't real fans, they're just dumbasses! I think mp3 is really the replacement for radio these days. fans are frustrated with hearing the same 6 tunes played to death, and want to explore more interesting material. Who can blame them for taking to the internet? Besides, it's a great way to get bootlegs!
    "The common thing on governments as an institution is: they're all bad worldwide. It might be the only thing that binds all nations together: the incompetence of their governments. Look at the people who have been president in the US so far... could I DO ANY WORSE?"<br /> <br />~ Frank Zappa

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away, 5150, Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree. For the most part, I only listen to music up to the late 90s. For a few years I've hoped this to be some sort of fad, like we saw in the late 80s/early 90s. But I'm not so sure it is. I'm by no means an expert on music history, but I don't recall there ever being such an explosion of pop music and I think MTV and other media outlets fuel the fire. I think after a while, people will grow tired of it (history has a way of repeating itself) and they'll move on to something else. I don't think rock n' roll is dead, but when it makes it's comeback with the American public, it won't be like rock of the past (again, history repeats).

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Good rock bands are hard to find these days and with Van Halen sitting on the sidelines it's a double sucks scenario.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If the record industy would just cut the price of CDs to around $7.00 then record sales would go through the roof. Nothing beats CD sound quality. But why should I pay $17.95 or more on a Jimmy Eat's World album?

MTV sucks, we all know that. They've become the establishment and they are bloated with all kinds of non-music oriented shows. Well guess what? Somebody is going to start a new music channel and kill MTV. Fuck, if somebody could get me alone with Bill Gates I know I could talk him into backing it along with MSN and get it up and running by Christmas. Then we;d see who's your daddy...

Biggest problem is that most of the new bands don't offer much. They are 70's re-hash and most don't have the talent to put out a body of work over ,say, six or seven albums. Most will be lucky to get out two. In the end kids today are the same as they've always been, they want to hear songs about partying, cars, chicks/love/ gettin' it on.

That and the record companies are run by people who make ENRON exec's look like monks.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Two words = quick buck.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

One other thing I want to mention is that a lot of the older bands have been all but buried. I listen to classic rock, but I have yet to hear any songs off such classic rock staples as Tom Petty, Def Leppard, Robert Plant, Journey, Sammy Hagar or Ted Nugent's new album. Even Bruce Springsteen - the first thing I heard from his new album was seeing a video on CMT a week or so ago, and today for the first time I heard the song "The Rising" on the radio. I think she only played it 'cause he got nominated for a Grammy. I doubt these artists get much play on the new rock stations - so if the classic rock stations don't play them, they are left to rot.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

all music goes in cycles. rock had its last hey-day late 80s, early 90s. Rock was the popular music. that generation got older and kids didnt want to be like older brothers and sisters so they listened to something completly opposite of rock and listened to rap. then it happened again and those younger kids listened to that bubblegum pop.

were now getting to the point again where the bubblegum pop are getting older and something new has to take its place. there were a lot of really good rock cds that came out this year that didnt chart well. May not be your styles but Counting Crowes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sammy Hagar, Tribe of Judah, Audioslave, Silverchair, Pearl Jam, Queens of the Stone Age and others all came out with real good discs but none toured behind them. RHCP toured Europe and will tour states in the summer, Audioslave is rumored to hook up with Pearl Jam so give it time.

The big thing everyone has to remember is...everyone meantioned Springsteen, Hagar, and all have no appeal to teens, who buy the majority of music. Kids do not want to listen to anything their parents listen to.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

empyre makes a point I've stated many times on these boards, and that's why I made my brief post earlier. Record comapnies just churn out the shit they know will make them some fast green with the young crowd, who buys most of the music out there.

Used to be that record companies prized some of their artists and would give them long-term contracts and a handful of respect to go along with it. Any artist that gets the "we love you" spiel from a CEO these days is lying to with clenched teeth. Soon as they get their two multi-platinum albums out of ya, you are trash heap material.

I do believe that the cycle will shift back to rock at some point, but there needs to be an impetus for any new artists to be inspired by. somebody has to get out there and write some good solid rock, ignore the marketing twists of the spin doctors and let their music stand on its own.

Current music is just like disco - it's all about trend and fitting in with the hip crowd. Playing it safe with a proven formula. Rock and Roll is all about rebellion and ignoring the rules, and stretching the boundaries. Too many upstarts confuse anger and angst with that magical attitude that is essential to the rock anmd roll musician.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry for the shameless plug here but it goes with the discussion. I interview the band Flickerstick in November and they talked about shitty record companies. They signed a year deal and after that was done, they parted with the company(Epic) and are independent again. this is what the guitarist had to say...

Cory: now we know, now we know when labels come in and are like "Man we loved it, we get it, we see it" Yeah you know what, we had another label tell us the exact same fucking thing. And about two weeks later, they didnít love it as much, they didnít get it. So what are you gonna do. Labels are labels man, they're all full of shit and they all suck but they are a necessary evil. They have money. Like car salesman suck, but you still go to a car salesman to buy a car every time

if interested, entire interview (audio & text) at
    http://www.empyrelounge.com/interviews/flicker2/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good case in point, man. Nice interview, too.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks wolfman!

it sucks that artists dont get a chance to grow with a label anymore. Petty would not be around in today's music scene since his first albums did not do well commercially at all. record companies just want that quick hit and they are gone. do you think avril lavigne has staying power? no, she is cute and positioned as the anti-pop star...funny thing is, she IS a popstar

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Wolfman:
    empyre makes a point I've stated many times on these boards, and that's why I made my brief post earlier. Record comapnies just churn out the shit they know will make them some fast green with the young crowd, who buys most of the music out there.

Used to be that record companies prized some of their artists and would give them long-term contracts and a handful of respect to go along with it. Any artist that gets the "we love you" spiel from a CEO these days is lying to with clenched teeth. Soon as they get their two multi-platinum albums out of ya, you are trash heap material.

I do believe that the cycle will shift back to rock at some point, but there needs to be an impetus for any new artists to be inspired by. somebody has to get out there and write some good solid rock, ignore the marketing twists of the spin doctors and let their music stand on its own.

Current music is just like disco - it's all about trend and fitting in with the hip crowd. Playing it safe with a proven formula. Rock and Roll is all about rebellion and ignoring the rules, and stretching the boundaries. Too many upstarts confuse anger and angst with that magical attitude that is essential to the rock anmd roll musician.
    Yeah but what do you want record companies to do? Sign acts just because it's good rock and roll? That's not good business. Some record companies do sign good rock acts though. For example, Puddle of Mudd, I think they are a great band, but the radio plays the hell out of their songs. She Hates Me used to be a favorite song of mine before it was even a single, and now its so overplayed its rediculous. Did they used to play VH songs to that extent? Where you heard them so much you got sick of them? Anyways back to the record companies signing mainly pop and rap artists, they sign them because they are what sells. They sell because people like them. That stuff is the mainstream now. It's all about what people like. And there are few good rock bands out there now because the artists are too lazy to make themselves in great musicians, and if they arent too lazy, they are too artsy, or cant write a hit song to save their lives. That's what was so great about Eddie. He was an amazing musician, who had now problem writing hit songs. That is imo, why he is the best guitarist ever, he is one of the best technical players ever, and he can write mainstream, hit songs. Who else has done that?
    I am awesome