Register

Thread: Blender

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Since the music media tends to totally overlook them, I'll give you people a public service announcement and let you know Collective Soul released a new album this week on the 10th titled "Blender."

Chances are some of you have even heard the first single off the album (Why Prt. 2) as the past week it was the most added song to playlists around the US.

This here is a band that really gets overlooked and underrated. Most people think "Shine" the minute their name is brought up, but considering they have 7 other songs that hit number one on the rock charts I doubt you could call them a one hit wonder band.

Blender is a really good album if you like the hard rock meets southern rock with a touch of grunge sound they've cultivated since '93. First thing you'll notice is they've definitely matured a lot as far as their sound and melody skills go. Their last album (Dosage) was probably one of the best releases of '99, and this one follows the trend of working in other instruments in the song subtly, but Blender, as a whole, is a bit harder than Dosage was. All the songs have a touch of "electronica" to them that adds without really getting in the way of the main guitar/bass/drum/vocals format.

And yes, there are a fair amount of ballads on this album (including a well done one featuring Elton John in it). Let's face it, the ballad is a lost art these days (how many modern rock acts still do it?), but CS does it the best, keeping them from drifting into the "cheese" factor.

Ultimately I'd recommend you give Blender a listen, especially if you like anything Soul has done in the past.

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

Oh I thought you wanted to discuss blenders. I got this real nice one as a wedding present, thought I'd share.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool Brett! What kind?

------------------
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

I don't remember the name, but it was shiny chrome and apparently very expensive, I guess my fiancee registered for it.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

One of the funniest, and most tedious, family events I ever attended was the gift opening when my brother got married. Someone gave them a milkshake maker that didn't even come in a box, or with instructions, or even with a card. My wife and I kept saying, "gee, was it stolen?" and "somebody check and see if the serial number is scratched off".

Damn, this thread is so off topic, ole T5 is gonna need to come in here and close it.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last time I do a public service for you rock-starved ingrates

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're right Stuff No More, the music media does overlook or just flat out ignore Collective soul and even when they do mention them they always say that Collective soul just keeps throwing out albums with Stadium rockers on it, fuck em. Collective Soul is a pretty damn good band. I'm not to big of a fan of them but they are a hell of a lot better than most of the crap out now (rap-metal).

------------------
    " When my time on Earth is gone and my activities here are past, I want they bury me upside down and my critics can kiss my ass" Bobby Knight

"Take my hand not my picture" Eddie Vedder

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Collective Soul is one of my favorite bands. The funny thing about it, I couldn't tell you any names of any songs or names of albums. I do know the name of their latest becuase I just picked it up.

I must say I hate the "electronic" touches on the album. I know that Ed Roland is a fucking genius when it comes to creating textures with intstuments, but it really doesn't do much for me here.

The lead track is very "poppy" At first I thought it was that "M-Bop" song by those kids. While I do find myself liking the tune, it's a little too happy for my tastes.

The 2nd tune starts off just like the 1st, so I skipped it.

The 3rd tune is what Collective Soul is all about. Big guitar riffs, sweet melodies, and lyrics that are not what you would expect from a "rock band" with "big riffs" It's a fucking 11 on a 10 scale.

There are a couple of other tunes on there that sound cool, but I haven't given it a good listen.

That one tune "Over Tokyo" was played as a live accoustic song when they did the radio show "Rockline" a couple of years ago.

I think they're expanding as band and their trying not to repeat themselves by doing new and interesting things. This means that chord progressions and riffs may not be played in a typical order that's to be expected. Kind of reminds me of what VH did with Cherone and "3"

Upon intial listening, it's just not as strong as their earlier stuff. The last thing I want is fucking Sir Elton singing on the album. I listened to it briefly and I wasn't that impressed, and I love ballands from Collective Soul.

Most Collective Albums are goo from start to end, but this one seemed a little "hit and miss" for me.

It's still better the Kid Rock and Korn!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Give it a few more listens, jimmy. I've found with the people I know it didn't grab them right away like some of their other stuff (read: Dosage) did, but it's really grown on them since.

But I'll agree, Skin and Vent are kind of a weak beginning to the album.

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics!