Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pigs Might Fly Before Pink Floyd Reunites

Oct 7, 8:59 pm ET

By Dean Goodman
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pink Floyd fans hoping for a reunion of the veteran English rock band may be waiting in vain, the group's leader David Gilmour indicated on Monday.

Pink Floyd, which has not performed together since 1994, remains on hiatus while its members pursue various projects. Gilmour is preparing to release a concert video in November, and hopes to record a solo album next year.

"Pink Floyd, to be honest, is the furthest thing from my mind at the moment," he told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"I know that other people have a different view and it has some sort of intrinsic importance, but right at the moment I'm just not thinking about Pink Floyd. I'm just concentrating on what I'm doing in a totally selfish way, and enjoying myself."

Now 56, Gilmour said he prefers a simpler life making more spontaneous music, whereas a Pink Floyd album and tour would require "an awful lot of time and effort."

Famed for elaborate concerts that boasted flying pigs and laser shows, Pink Floyd grossed $104 million from its 1994 trek across North America. The stadium tour, which was seen by more than three million people, ranks third on the all-time earners list behind the Rolling Stones and U2. Since then ticket prices have soared, and industry observers say a new Pink Floyd tour could smash records.

But Gilmour, a father of eight who is reportedly worth more than $100 million, seems to be more interested in giving away his money. He last year donated proceeds of 3.6 million pounds (now $5.7 million) from the sale of a house to a charity and has set up a foundation to disburse more funds.

THE FINAL CHAPTER?

His coffers were swelled by the success of a 2-CD Pink Floyd hits compilation, "Echoes," which was released late last year. Gilmour said the album "could well be" the final chapter in the Pink Floyd story. "But we'll have to see."

Classic Pink Floyd albums such as "The Wall," "The Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" also continue to sell strongly. His solo career pales by comparison, and he's happy with that.

His upcoming DVD and VHS release "David Gilmour in Concert," is a largely acoustic affair built around a concert at London's Royal Festival Hall in June 2001.

Gilmour revisits old Pink Floyd nuggets like "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," "Comfortably Numb" and "Wish You Were Here," as well as a few rarities written by Syd Barrett, the group's first leader. Barrett, a drugs casualty, left Pink Floyd in 1969 and lives in seclusion in Cambridge, England.

Gilmour said he has not seen him since 1975, when an unrecognizable Barrett casually dropped into the London studio as the band was recording "Wish You Were Here." Gilmour is in occasional touch with Barrett's sister, and often thinks of driving up to Barrett's place for a cup of tea and a chat.

"There was a time when his family seemed to think that that sort of thing wouldn't be a very good idea, but maybe that time has passed. I might get round to it one of these days."

FEUD PERSISTS

Gilmour joined Pink Floyd in 1968 three years after it was formed, and has led the band since its bitter 1980s split from musical mastermind Roger Waters, who went to court in an unsuccessful bid to prevent his former colleagues from touring under the Pink Floyd name.

Gilmour said he was fascinated to learn that drummer Nick Mason has recently become friendly again with Waters. Claiming an inability to hold a grudge, Gilmour said he would be happy to make up with Waters but the feeling is not reciprocated.

"Being enemies over something as trivial as who does what within a pop group is pretty childish stuff, isn't it?"

The video contains a guest appearance by Pink Floyd keyboardist Rick Wright. Gilmour last spoke to Wright a few weeks ago, about boating. But he has not spoken in some time to Mason, who is busy with diverse business interests.

The video also contains one brand new song, "Smile," for which Gilmour wrote the music and his wife, Polly, the lyrics. A studio version is almost complete, and will make the solo album. With quite a few half-finished pieces of music, he has not got far enough in the process to think about a theme.

"I don't think it's going to rock out an awful lot," he said.
    "I'm not as think as you drunk I am."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Now, if Only Ed can send out a statement with the same info, just change "Solo project" to "golf" or whatever! At least Gilmore is giving his fans SOMETHING!!!!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd really like to see Pink Floyd do one last album/tour before they deside to hang it up. If they got back together with Roger Waters to do that it would be huge.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by ross:
    I'd really like to see Pink Floyd do one last album/tour before they deside to hang it up. If they got back together with Roger Waters to do that it would be huge.
    I saw Floyd play the Houston Astrodome back in the late 80's, and then I saw them play the Olympic Stadium in Athens, Greece. Awesome shows! Unfortunatly Waters wasn't at either one...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I saw Floyd in '94 when I was 12, and I just saw Roger Waters last night at the Timothy White benefit show. Now if only I could see the two together, I could die happy.

BTW, they had Waters open up the show and he only played 3 songs (least out of all the artists there), so it was kind of a disappointment. He did rock though
    "You gotta do me a favor and let these (people) have a good time, alright? A little bit of (vulgar term for breast) and their hands in the air ain't gonna hurt anybody" - Nikki Sixx

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6:30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what was up with these guys. It's too bad Gilmour and Waters couldn't patch things up and do a few shows together for old times sake.

Damn rock bands and their egos!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I got to finally see Pink Floyd in '94 for the first time, like allot of people. It would be a shame that more people didn't get the chance to see there live show, it's really something to behold, and I didn't get to see them back when it was more intense, like from Dark Side until obviously The Wall (especially the wall, but only 8 cities got to see that thing!).

I would have loved it if Roger finally got back with them and kinda "intensified" it up about 10 knotches, something to give us all a good kick in the ass, that's what we need!

Im a sucker for big ass Rock concerts.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

More Gilmour quotes recently.

Wish You Were My Friend
    Pink Floyd singer-guitarist David Gilmour wants to end his longstanding feud with ex-Floyd bassist-singer Roger Waters, although he doesn't believe Waters feels the same way. "Being enemies over something as trivial as who does what within a pop group is pretty childish stuff," Gilmour says. He also reveals that he's partly done with a solo album that he doesn't expect "will rock out an awful lot."
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And once again the FANS lose out. It is inconceiveable to me that these bands that were killer and have broken up, but all members are still alive refuse to give us anymore. Hey that is their right. I sure miss Floyd and Van Halen. All of this shit that comes out these days sucks to me. they have the technology to rebuild the bands. JUST DO IT!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by willy4pres:
    ...The Wall (especially the wall, but only 8 cities got to see that thing!).
    Because the production was so friggin' big for the concert, they decided to make the movie... IMHO I would have rather seen the show live [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I was never really a Floyd fan growing up, but recently I've gotten in to them. I remember when "The Final Cut" came out as their "last" album and I remember all of the hoopla when Waters left the band. Can someone tell me why he left in the first place? Thanks.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:07 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Re the topic:

A little zen....... Headed your way.......