Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Premium Member
    I was reading the Guitar Player issue with Ed on the cover and it had the 32 most important guitarists on the 80's. I was reading Randy Rhoad's article and it said that he was one of the few who didnt jump on the Van Halen bandwagon. I have heard that cat play before, he sounds like he mimics Ed a whole lot! Crazytrain is a perfect example. What do you guys think? Not to trash the guy or anything, I mean i know he was good. But who WASNT influenced by Ed back then?
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 11,576 Times in 4,934 Posts

He used to follow VH around in the club days, yes he took a lot from the VH style. He did take his playing a little different route, but you can certainly here the Eddie influence in his playing. Randy was a brilliant player.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Randy's solo on Tribute has a lot of Eddie type playing in it. It's funny, I remember Randy saying that playing that way wasn't really much of a challenge, but it's what the kids wanted to hear in the early 80's.

I've also heard that Randy used to check EVH out a lot in the club days. Which I think is cool because Randy was one guy who was obsessed with learning about the guitar. Clearly he saw a spark of something unique in Eddie's playing and wanted to study it. Even better that Randy attempted to not copy Eddie outright, but to expand on what he heard from Eddie.

Randy was an unbelievable guitar player, and his loss was particularily sad since he'd barely gotten started.

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm not sure that I agree that Randy followed VH around too much. I know alot of his students wanted Randy to show them Eddie's licks, he probably picked up some of EVH's style there.

The only solos he tapped on that I can think of are Crazy Train and Flying High Again. He only used the whammy bar occasionaly.

Listen to the title track on Diary of a Madman, Steal Away the Night or Mr. Crowley. He definately had his own thing going on. Although there's a few hints of Eddie in some of his playing, he should never be considered an Eddie clone.

All in all we were lucky to have two great players to really spark interest in guitar playing in the '80's

Oh yeah, it's spelled R H O A D S. I've seen it misspelled too many times.

[ March 29, 2001 at 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Steven B ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Oh wait a minute. I read, more then once, that Randy Rhoads would RELIGIOUSLY follow Edward from club to club and try to rip his material off. Alex Van Halen had Eddie play with his back to the crowd to avoid this. This is fact!

In Guitar Player Magazine in the late 80's, I read that Randy Rhoads admitted trying to learn as much as he could from Van Halen and other guitar greats on the road. He would enlist in every town he would go to trying to find the best guitar teachers or most reputable players to teach him.

Randy was a great guitar player. One of my favorites. But there is tons of Van Halen in things he did.

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Well no one can know for sure, but I remember reading that he went to check out VH once. I also know Quiet Riot played at least one gig with VH.

As far as going to guitar teachers while he was on tour, it was for Classical guitar lessons. Ya know-nylon string acoustic finger pick type stuff.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Georgie,

Hey ol' buddy - we had this conversation over a year ago, I think! I was completely pissed off at you back then for what I considered totally inflammatory rhetoric and a lack of respect for the dead. But over the last year I have come to understand and enjoy reading your posts, even if I don't agree with all of them (I have agreed with most [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]). I have also seen you post about RR several times since then, and you have given the guy his props most of the time. I do feel compelled to respond, though, since when it boils down to it, Randy is my all time favorite guitarist (EVH a close second).

There can be no doubt that Eddie influenced Randy in some way; to witness the brilliance of Eddie's playing (especially in the early days) and to see the success that VH was experiencing must have been quite intoxicating, especially to someone with the talent and ability to deliver in a similar fashion. However, I feel that much of Randy's talent and style were in place by the time that VH hit it big in 78.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Georgie:
    Oh wait a minute. I read, more then once, that Randy Rhoads would RELIGIOUSLY follow Edward from club to club and try to rip his material off. Alex Van Halen had Eddie play with his back to the crowd to avoid this. This is fact! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't vouch for this, nor do I believe it. What I have read, is that RR had students who would ask him to teach them to play VH solos and songs, and that he was concerned that his solo during the show was too derivitive of Eddie's style. I am sure that RR caught many VH shows, especially because of the buzz around the band and because they all were from the same scene. I would bet too that given Eddies personality quirks and well documented insecurities, he probably was paranoid about playing guitar in front of those who may be as good or nearly as good as him. He acted like he hardly gave a shit when Randy died!

In Guitar Player Magazine in the late 80's, I read that Randy Rhoads admitted trying to learn as much as he could from Van Halen and other guitar greats on the road. He would enlist in every town he would go to trying to find the best guitar teachers or most reputable players to teach him.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never read that RR tried to ape other popular rock guitarist's styles and licks. I did read that he sought out teachers in many towns to learn and to study. What's wrong with that? The guy was constantly trying to improve, and had a voracious appetite for musical growth. It's not like he was going to learn much from say, The Nuge, Ace Frehley or Joe Walsh... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Randy was a great guitar player. One of my favorites. But there is tons of Van Halen in things he did.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would agree that there are some elements of Randy's playing style that are similar to Eddie's, mostly tempo and the use of harmonics and perhaps some picking techniques. But to my ears, structurally they couldn't be more different. Eddie is much more rooted in the blues; he also had a more loose approach and of course the infamous "brown sound". Randy was classically influenced, his solos were more scalar and he sometimes triple tracked them. He planned his solos more that Eddie (Eddie admits to an "off the cuff" approach to soloing that he likens to "falling down stairs and landing on his feet"). Certainly nothing wrong with that - it worked for him and he was brilliant!

I would say that Randy was definitely influenced by Eddie, but I don't think it was an obsession, nor was Eddie's influence all-encompassing. Their styles were totally different, and Randy was way too good too soon after Eddie's rise to be considered a clone or anything of the sort. Hell, it took real Eddie clones like Vito Bratta, George Lynch and whoever else YEARS to rip off Eddie.

Much of the similarities come from the style of music that was becoming popular at the time, which was pioneered by Eddie and VH. But Ozzy and Randy were no VH clones...

[ March 30, 2001 at 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Rokgtar ]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i agree. i can hear some of EVH's style in his playing, but i would also contest that he had his style and talent by 1978 as well. i also heard about ed playing with his back to the crowd, which i think is pretty dumb on ed's part. i'd be personally pissed if i didn't get to see ed play if i went to a concert.
    anyway, ed's still my favorite, but randy was so amazing.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t choose just one
    Favorite VH Song

see above
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also agree w/ Randy not being an Eddie clone. Similarities yeah, but no carbon copy stuff going on. Some of Randy's playing almost seemed to have an "errie" kind of feel to it. Revelation Mother Earth and Diary Of A Madman really come to mind. To me, those are goosebump songs. I also agree with the earlier post about Ed and Randy's backgrounds being different. I guess that Randy's more classical background helped fit in some "creepy" sounds to his material. And while I wouldn't want it all the time, I'd love Ed to do some more kinda "creepy" stuff. It's probably not his thing, and I understand that, but I love that "creepy" (I can't think of any other way to describe it), sound. In my opinion, Girl Gone Bad sorta has that. From Afar definitely has it.
    "These are not them, you've captured one of their stunt doubles"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Great posts guys. I agree with just about everything you all said. Randy Rhoads was amazing and is my second favorite guitar player. I should differentiate the term "clone" here. Randy certainly did not take the Bratta, Bettencourt, Lynch, etc. approach to Eddie's style. He did have a style of his own, but there was plenty of Eddie Van Halen nuances in his playing. He certainly took more then a page or two out of Eddie's book and incorporated it in to his hodge-podge style of classical training as well.

For what it's worth, he may be the best Rock guitar player after Eddie in RNR. Being that he died in 1981, that is a huge compliment since the rest of that decade were full of great players. ( Bettencourt, Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen,DeMartini, Beach, Bratta, Lynch,etc.)

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everybody will hate me for saying this but I personally would rather listen to RR than EVH. I love the classical influence of rhoads. And ozzys singing of course. They kinda sound similar. Rhodes started with quiet riot when he was 16!!!! im sure he got some stuff from evh, but most of it was his. On his tribute cd(randy rhoads) he plays a long solo during suicide solution. He almost mimics EVH with eruption-but Rhoads seemed to take his guitar playing a step further, randy just seemed more serious about playing while eddie seemed like a goofball. RIP RHODES
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a strange topic for me. I certainly respect what Randy did, but I don't care much for Ozzy or his band at the time. I think Crazy Train and Flying High Again were decent songs; the others I generally didn't care for. I'm not much of a metal fan-I prefer more (gasp) pop-oriented music to riff-based rock. I think Eddie has married the two quite well, whereas Randy didn't have that chance.

On the other hand, I am not nearly the improvisor that Ed is, and I come from more of a classical background as well. So, in reality, my lead playing, more often than not, is more along the lines of what Randy did in terms of composing a solo instead of winging it. There ARE times when I improvise, but usually I write ahead of time.

I think what Randy did was take many of the technical ideas that flew from Eddie on a whim, and organize them into a more structured approach. And since songwriting gives a much greater chance at having an identity than just soloing, I would say Randy was NOT just ripping Eddie off.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.