Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Metallica wouldn't let Jason Newsted go public with his side projects, but now he's got his own label and he's unleashing nearly every note he's put to tape since 1994.

"Over the next few years we're gonna release [everything]," promised

Newsted, who's recorded material with members of Sepultura, Faith No More and the Melvins. "We have maybe 10 or 12 [projects] in the can for people to hear. About every couple of months we'll bring it out. It's a lot of things [that] were done up to the point where I left Metallica."

Newsted said he's going to release the projects in chronological order, a process he's already begun with a split EP featuring IR8 and Sexoturica. The latter — Newsted, Exodus drummer Tom Hunting and Sepultura guitarist Andreas Kisser — came together in 1995. The three IR8 tracks — featuring Newsted, Hunting and Strapping Young Lad singer/guitarist Devin Townsend — were recorded in 1994.

A couple of years ago when the IR8 material leaked to radio, it caused a lot of conflict in the Metallica camp. "That was the first time [frontman] James [Hetfield] and [drummer] Lars [Ulrich] got kind of bent about playing other music with other people, or that somehow it would hinder Metallica's forward motion. Which I understood at that time — we were kickin' pretty hard."

Newsted said he doesn't see a lot of forward motion with Metallica now and that it was primarily the band's tight control over his outside projects that caused him to leave the group in January 2001 (see "Bassist Jason Newsted Leaves Metallica").

"They have to recognize the four beings that make up this one great entity, and it wasn't like that. I didn't feel like the respect was shown. I keep chasing music all the time and they kept saying, 'Don't do that! You can't do that!' [But] that's how I live. You do whatever you do, you race cars and you raise children. That's how you live. ... I don't stop you from raising your kids or say that's wrong. Don't stop me from raising my music or doing my music."

Newsted re-emerged with Echobrain (see "Newsted, Fans Feel 'Wicked Good' At Echobrain Tour Launch") before joining veteran Canadian thrash band Voivod (see "Jason Newsted Says His New Band Can Kick Metallica's Ass"). He's also released CDs with Papa Wheelie through his Chophouse imprint, named for the studio in San Francisco where his projects originated.

Newsted started jamming at Chophouse with ex-Faith No More guitarist Jim Martin and his brother in 1992. The only rule was "you're supposed to play something you haven't played before," Newsted explained. "From that time, we've put in all kinds of combinations of people. There could be an avant-garde jazz saxophone player ... and a rock guy and me, and we all just make the soup up. ... [We're] not allowed to do overdubs in the Chophouse. What you play at that moment, warts and all, that's what you capture and that's what we keep.

"Every minute I had between Metallica tours or something like that, we would put something together," he said. "It was our escape. It was a place that we could go to remember why we're doing it."

For Newsted, it's all about doing whatever he can to retain the initial feeling that excited him as a 19-year-old bass player in Flotsam and Jetsam. "I never looked at that music, even with Metallica, as a job. That just wasn't my thing. It was important for me to retain that feeling, I had to fight it. It was a challenge, because the other [Metallica] guys would be kind of blasé about things sometimes and I had to make sure to keep myself up."

Other Chophouse projects slated to surface soon include the Black Sabbath-like Tree of the Sun, which features Townsend, the Melvins' Dale Crover and ex-Kyuss bassist Scott Reeder; the "full death metal" Blastula; and the Satanitones.

"I have learned more about the business in the last 18 months than I ever did in 14 years in Metallica," Newsted said of being the Chophouse Records honcho. "When you're in Metallica, you've got a bunch of people working for you and you're protected as the artist. ... [It's] not just being the bass player anymore and showing up for the photos. It's like a whole damn thing — bass player, photos, songwriting, producing and record company, seeing it all the way through from start to finish."

The IR8/Sexoturica split EP is available through the Chophouse Records Web site.

—Ryan J. Downey, with additional reporting by Iann Robinson

This report is from MTV News
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

He sure is desperate for record-sales.....

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

If he enjoys what he is doing and wants others to hear it as well, let him do it. It's refreshing to hear his candid comments.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I for one think that he should keep his mouth shut about Metallica but he knows that if he says something bad about them then someone will print it. It's sad really.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.07.08 @ 02:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ross:
    I for one think that he should keep his mouth shut about Metallica but he knows that if he says something bad about them then someone will print it. It's sad really.
    Metallica deserves it.
    Van Halen without the original 4 is just not Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aargh, there are no upsides to my comparisons to what Sam says about Dave in the media so I won't say it. What the !@#$ happened to Metallica? Even my wife use to like them up to "Metallica" and then the rest was a "Load" to be flushed.

[ January 03, 2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Executionor ]
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

LOL! That's great that he bashes Metallica in every interview! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.24.06 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Every interview Jason does is hilarious! Metallica deserves every bad word he says; they've brought it all upon themselves, and to think back in the day they were so creative and such a valuable band to the scene. They've completely destroyed everything they once stood for!
    I know Voivod's new CD will totally f@#kin' rule and lay waste to anything that alt-country band calling themselves Metallica will release! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Originally posted by FH:
    He sure is desperate for record-sales.....
    And Metallica, who are recording with Ja-Rule, are NOT desperate?!?!

Was he some heavy metal legend over in Germany before he came here to rap and have a fling with J-Lo?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

03.22.09 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Keep tearing em a new one Jason [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    “I made some mistakes tonight but we sing and play our f***ing instruments. Accept no substitute “ Tom Petty at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center July 3, 2002

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

IMHO, the Might Met publicly choked the chicken with the war effort over at Napster... Fucking sell outs, plain and clear. And I would bet they have had plenty of their shares of bootlegs while growing up. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

Let them have it Mr. Newsted. Fucking tools!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!