Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...and all I can say is F*CKIN'-A MAN, THAT WAS A REAL ROCK-N-ROLL SHOW! Lights, lasers, fire, video screens and, most importantly, great musicians playing almost three hours worth of great songs! Geddy sounded GREAT - almost as good as the album versions. He had a little trouble with "The Temples of Syrinx" stuff, but he nailed the high part in "Freewill." Alex was awesome. I always knew he was a good guitar player, but he's REALLY good - he's great. WAY underrated. And what can you say about Neil? The guy makes it look so easy. He just flows around the kit - a true master. I've always thought of Rush as a "serious" band, but they injected alot of humor into the show. Like when they walked out on stage, old cartoon music was playing through the PA and then right as it ended, they launched into Tom Sawyer. And there was some funny animation stuff on the video screen. And during La Villa Strangiato, Alex did this goofy crying-laughing-mumbling spoken word segment that had Geddy and Neil laughing and smiling. After all that Neil's been through personally (and them as a band), it was nice to see them having fun on stage. They leaned pretty heavy on Permanent Waves - Vapor Trails. I think they only played 3 or 4 songs previous to PW (Temples..., La Villa..., By Tor..., Working Man, etc.). But it was a good mix of songs - the older stuff and the newer stuff all sounded great. If they are coming to your town in the near future, do yourself a favor and go. You WILL NOT be disappointed.
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ August 20, 2002, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: P1 ]
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Ive already got my LORCH seats for Sept 25th in San Diego! I have heard nothing but posotive reviews on this tour, so im expecting a good time.

But Rush has never dissapointed me before!

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Good to hear!!!!!! I expected nothing less! I caught them at Reunion a few years back and Primus opened for them. Rockin show!! I am going to see them down here in October. Can't wait!
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the clothes dryers. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    Here's a review of the festivities:

Review: Rush's three-hour set flies by
    08/20/2002

By THOR CHRISTENSEN / The Dallas Morning News

It takes a pretty cocky band from the '70s to show a dinosaur on its concert video screen. But Rush is the rare act that can pull it off. Performing Monday night at Smirnoff Music Centre, the brainy prog-rock trio proved it's still years away from the tar pits.

Clocking in at three hours, the concert was better suited to the fanatic than the casual fan, with dated obscurities like "Between Sun & Moon" and "Natural Science" padding the set list. But the dull moments were surprisingly few for such a marathon show.

Back-to-basics new songs from Vapor Trails kept the audience rapt. Neil Peart's obligatory drum solo turned out to be snappy and streamlined rather than just incredibly long, as it's been on past tours. And the band's jazzy metal instrumentals – "YYZ," "La Villa Strangiato" and 2112's "Overture" – were every bit as scorching as they were 20 years ago.

In part, that was because the songs sounded precisely like they did on the old LPs (with the exception of a few banshee high notes Geddy Lee edited out of "Tom Sawyer" and "Freewill"). Instead of daring to try new arrangements or guitar solos, Rush simply cranked out note-for-note replicas. Then again, who needs spontaneity when you've got taut, timeless art-rock anthems like "The Temples of Syrinx" and "By-Tor & the Snow Dog" and radio gems like "The Spirit of Radio" and "Big Money"?

As always, Rush brought along a state-of-the-art light show and an arsenal of surreal cartoons and acid-trip videos. The group even reprised one of its standbys from the '70s: green lasers, which bounced and angled around the amphitheater like some sci-fi geometry lesson.

But the most striking visual aid was also the most low-tech – a trio of coin-operated clothes dryers that spun behind Mr. Lee throughout the show. Before the encores, the band flung the dry apparel into the crowd, prompting more than a few fans to momentarily put down their spliffs and ponder what this odd gesture symbolized.

Judging from the smile on Mr. Lee's face, it just meant that even philosophic prog-rock bands have a sense of humor.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

wh wh wh what the hell! What wasn't this at the Hanger? How is that Smirnoff center anyway?
    -Seenbad

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

i saw rush in toronto in july.... one of the greatest shows ive ever seen! im seeing them again in toronto in october!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AAC wants too much $ for most bands to play there. The average ticket price at AAC for Paul McCartney was at least $125; same for the Eagles; not sure about Britney, Nsink, Backstreet Boys, etc. The average ticket price at Starplex/Smirnoff for Rush was $55. I don't like Starplex too much, but it's OK - typical half reserved, half lawn amphitheater. Reunion Arena and the Bronco Bowl are my favorite venues. The new NextStage is supposed to be pretty cool too.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

a friend of mine went to see Rush in the early 90s and when the show started he was convinced they weren't playing because it sounded too good,

then Geddy missed a cue to start a verse and had to run over to the mic and THAT is when he knew they were really playing it [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

Thanks for printing the review. I saw these guys in '94 or '95 and they were fantastic. True musicians at work. I didn't get a chance to see them this tour even though they opened their tour 10 miles away from me.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Ahhhhhhhh the old starplex eh? I didn't make the connection there. I saw a few shows there. Sound wasn't that bad. Not like the Cotton Bowl! It seems like everyone is having a good time on this tour. Did they play Limelight?
    -Seenbad

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From Hemispheres they played La Villa Strangiato - no Trees.
    From Permanent Waves they played Spirit... and Freewill.
    From Moving Pictures they played Limelight, Tom Sawyer and YYZ - no Red Barchetta or Vital Signs.
    From Signals they played New World Man - no Subdivisions or Analog Kid.
    From Grace Under Pressure they played Distant... and Red Sector A.
    From Power Windows they played Big Money.
    From Presto they played The Pass.
    From Roll the Bones they played Bravado, Roll... and maybe Dreamline.
    From Counterparts they played Between Sun & Moon and maybe Stick It Out - no Animate or Nobody's Hero.
    From Test for Echo they played Driven and Resist (accoustic) - no Half the World or Virtuality.
    From Vapor Trails they played One Little Victory, Ghost Rider, Secret Touch and Earthshine.
    They did not play Closer to the Heart or Passage to Bangkok. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Please don't ask what order they were in. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by willy4pres:
    [QB]Ive already got my LORCH seats for Sept 25th in San Diego! [QB]
    You'll be there, too? So will I! I'll be in 102, Row P. Still considering if I want to record the show or not.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can\'t This Be Love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That sounds fucking sweet!
    I've got row 27 floor tickets for the show on September 12 here in Calgary. From the sounds of it my $85.50 will be worth it.

Right now, rock n' roll needs a swift kick in the...<br /><br />"Gimme a bottle o' anything... and a glazed donut... to go!"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

what order were they in?
    -Seenbad

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very funny Chewy [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    I will tell you this:
    First set - opened with Tom Sawyer and closed with a song I had never heard (I don't have alot of their old stuff).
    Second set - opened with One Little Victory closed with Limelight.
    Encore - By Tor & the Snow Dog, some little instrumental thing (maybe part of Cygnus X1) and Working Man.
    It was the best show I've been to in a looooooong time. But as much fun as I had, I do remember standing there thinking "I really wish it was Van Halen up there blowing me away." [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]