Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nothing.

I actually am now a proud member of the 'My source Say's' club, so I thought I'd post what I heard.

'Van Halen' the band is basically non existant. There is no singer. Not Dave, Not Sammy, there was a fourth singer with a completed album submitted to WB who turned it down giving a second ultimatum of Dave or Sammy preferences in that order.

Cherone left on his own accord after the third submittal of the III follow-up which WB sent back saying there was no real 'stand out' single, no reall song to be the selling point. Cherone was also very shaken by 'fan response' and felt that the best thing for him to do was leave the band. It was amicable.

Dave did come back, but the so called three songs were never recorded beyond a demo track form. They will never be released as they were really never beyond the point of finished product. Were more of a demo form. Unfortunately it did not work with Dave, usual problems arose, There was at least one 'meeting' held where lawyers were involved, but if the lawyers are to blame is unknown to this source.

After the failed Dave sessions there was a fourth singer brought in and a full album was recorded. Everything was 'full steam ahead' until WB turned it down stating they wanted Dave or Sammy. That was in October 2001.

At the present time there is nothing going on with VH as there is a stalemate on all sides with no indication of anyone budging or giving in to anything.

Sammy, or at least his management has been contacted several times but is not interested in joining the band again.

Van Halen HAS to release another CD within the year according to their contract. Look forward to BOVII with a couple unreleased tracks which they are currently doing overdubs etc on right now. Fall release is expected.
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bullshit. Eddie's interview contradicts the idea that there is a fourth singer in Van Halen. He said that he doesn't know what is going on with Dave, but that something may still happen. He wouldn't be talking like that if the band were preparing a new album with a 4th singer. On top of that, Eddie apparently spent the summer making sure he is health free, not recording another album. He stated that his health and his family is all that matters to him now.

And the clincher: you think if someone had become Van Halen's fourth singer, we never would have heard a thing about it anywhere?? C'mon. Especially if the project failed, this hopeful would have said something to somebody about his failed alliance with Van Halen. SOMETHING would have reached the press. There's no way that could be completely kept secret.

I don't believe this one at all.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:48 PM
    Liked 16,544 Times in 9,378 Posts

Zadian,

You were fed a big heap of BS.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hate to say it.....but I think this may be the truth......I don't feel any momentum at all.......It's just been so long.....

Thanks for the info Zadian
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:48 PM
    Liked 16,544 Times in 9,378 Posts

Guess again.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

02.17.12 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't like that one....

Let's spin the wheel again!!
    This Member:Van Halen Fan EST. 1978

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CHRIS:
    I don't like that one....

Let's spin the wheel again!!
    <hr></blockquote>

LOL.....Sad but true. The current situation leads us to do nothing but keep on spinning the wheel of VH.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.15.08 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Zadian,

I think your source is right on target. I don't think Dave is or has ever been back. I have always thought they were trying with a new singer and the WB demands make sense. It's obvious that Gary leaving was his decision, he wasn't fired. He worked for almost a year on the new album and the rumours of WB refusing to put out the music VH made with Gary would be a good reason to leave. I don't think the boys have been sitting on their asses for 3 years, they have worked with people (not Dave) and have yet to find a combination that works for them and WB. VH wants to move on with a fourth singer and it appears they may have to move on to another label to do it.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary Cherone was actually the fourth singer. There was a third singer lined up ready to go. Then all that shit happened with Dave at the MTV awards show, and the dude bagged it. go to www.melodicrock.com/reviews/mitchmalloy.p3 to read the interview about all of this. you have to scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Get Dave back". Boy if there's one thing that'll piss Eddie off it's telling him that. I wonder if Mitch is giving it a whirl a second time. Anyone know what he sounds like or what music sounds similar to his?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's the VH part of the interview:

Another very interesting thing happened while you were out of the limelight so to speak. The great Van Halen experience!!
    How did you and Eddie Van Halen hook up?

A guy who worked for their management at the time used to be my road manager and he kept calling me and telling me they were going to fire Sammy and that I was going to be the next singer in Van Halen and he was calling and calling and finally I got annoyed by this and told him to stop and that I didn't think I was a good fit in VH and that if he was serious he should have Ed call me.
    A week later Desmond Child calls me and says he has just left Ed's house and was writing with them and that they were talking about me and that they were watching my "Anything At All" video, and that he told them that I was perfect for them, and that they would be lucky to get me, and before I knew it, I was on a plane to LA. Ed did call, a bunch of times. He was great.

Things went so well, you actually recorded a demo with the guys - live in the studio. For the record! What tracks did you jam on?

Yes, it was Panama, Ain't Talking 'bout Love, Why Can't This Be Love, Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do), Jump.

And what were you thinking while this was going on? Total disbelief?!!

LOL, it was very surreal. It was pretty cool. Valerie was very nice to me and Wolfy and I had a great connection. He just took to me right away. Ed was very taken with that as I recall, he told me I must be the guy cause his son loved me. It was cool. It was very nice. Ed is really a great guy, and so is Al and Mike. Ed was treating me like I was his best friend, his little brother. He still does most of the time. I miss him at the moment.
    I have not talked to him in a while. I hope he is okay. He was very encouraging on this new record. I sent him You Lift Me, It's About Love, and Draw The Line and he called me while he was still listening to it and was very very excited and saying things that I couldn't believe. I can't really repeat them here without sounding like a total egotistic ass, so I will just say, he was very flattering.
    I hung up and yelled at the top of my voice. That felt way better than when he told me I was in the band. I felt like he accepted me as a peer when he like my music.

I suppose I should tell of the moment when he told me I was in the band.....
    On the 3rd day I was there, I got a call as I was staying in Ed's guest house. They told me they wanted me to be in the studio control room in 15 minutes.
    I went up and sat there and waited, And a few minutes later, Ed walks in stops and says, "well, you are an amazing singer, you look great and you are one of the nicest guys I have ever met, we just talked it over and congratulations, you are in the band." he walks up to me, I stand up and he kisses me on both cheeks gives me a hug and turns and walks out of the room. I sit back down at the mixing board and say out loud, "I am in Van Halen, shit, now what"? I think I giggled a little in disbelief. It was a very strange moment.

So the unanimous verdict on Ray Danniels as a manager is shit to say the least, were you another victim of his control over the band at this stage?

Well, I am not positive as to what happened there, but Ray told me at first that no matter what happened, he wanted to manage me.
    I already had a manager though. And he told me he wanted me in the band. I think it's best I reserve comment any further on that one.
    I actually wrote Ray a letter, passing on the gig. It just didn't feel right to me at the time, what with all the MTV thing with Dave and all that.
    They never told me they were doing that with Dave, and as far as I knew, I was pretty much in the band at that time. I knew they were going to audition Gary, but they told me they didn't really want to, cause they wanted me. And then I see them walk out on stage with Dave, I called Mike and told him that I thought it was a mistake and that they had just made it nearly impossible for ANY singer to come in and be successful cause now EVERYONE thought Dave was back.
    I never heard back from them, and while I was waiting, I sat down and wrote a letter and had my manager send it up to Ray saying, thanks for the shot, but I am going to have to pass.
    It wasn't an easy thing to do. I heard from Ed a few weeks later. I met Gary over the phone that day as well. Gary is a super nice guy. A real class act. I am very impressed with him as a person and would think he would be a very good friend to have.
    We are not friends, I am just saying, there are not that many people you meet in life that are as gracious as Gary Cherone.

You did keep in contact with Eddie for a long while after this, but he wasn't happy at all with you when you recommended something to him was he....can you tell us what you said about what he needed to do for a vocalist?

Ed actually asked me what I thought, and I told him.......DAVE!
    You need to get Dave back, and he raised his voice saying, "You know what happened and how he was such an ass and what he said to me and did to me, and you know how hard it was to get him to sing in the studio", and I said, but Ed, you had Dave singing Desmond Child songs.
    Dave isn't that type of singer, you had him singing melodies he can't sing, and what you need to do is just let Dave be Dave. And then he got even louder and said that he wrote all those songs/melodies, and that Dave just wrote the lyrics and sang them. That's when I shut up. I love Ed, he has been like a big brother to me in a lot of ways. Who am I to upset him. But he did ask. And whatever happened with the Ed / Dave chemistry worked, and I just think that it will always work.
    Even if Ed did write all the melodies, obviously they have the same vocal range and they are connected with that. It WORKS! At least it worked. I have never met Dave, but he doesn't seem THAT bad to me. I don't know, I just love Ed and I want what is best for him. If he doesn't want to work with Dave, then he shouldn't work with Dave. I mean, you wouldn't wish for your friend to be unhappy just because it will please the fans. Life is too short for that.
    But he did ask, and I did say Dave. I guess at the end of the day, music isn't everything. And those guys have already given us a LOT of great music to listen to. Maybe that is enough?

How do you think Van Halen with Mitch Malloy as lead vocalist would have sounded?

Well, that's easy, all I have to do is go put in the tape and listen to it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    It sounds just like Van Halen with me singing. I had Asked Al on the first play back in the studio. I said, "what do you think?" "Does it sound strange hearing my voice over your music?", and he looked me right in the eye and said, "no, not at all, it sounds great"!

Everyone has opinions on the job Gary Cherone did as singer #3, what do you think alienated the fans so much?

The MTV thing. I just don't think the fans could get past that. I do think though that if they had had a hit like they did with Sammy that they would have had an easier time of it.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BrownSound5150:
    "Get Dave back". Boy if there's one thing that'll piss Eddie off it's telling him that. I wonder if Mitch is giving it a whirl a second time. Anyone know what he sounds like or what music sounds similar to his?<hr></blockquote>

If you go to www.mitchmalloy.com he's got some mp3's to download. The stuff's 10 years old though.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by E:
    Gary Cherone was actually the fourth singer. There was a third singer lined up ready to go. Then all that shit happened with Dave at the MTV awards show, and the dude bagged it. go to www.melodicrock.com/reviews/mitchmalloy.p3 to read the interview about all of this. you have to scroll down towards the bottom of the page.<hr></blockquote>

Bullshit. Danniels had Cherone chosen as the singer in May of 1996 before Sammy was even fired. Malloy was brought in as a backup because neither Eddie or Cherone thought it was going to work. As it turns out, they were both right. It didn't. But Danniels need to be in control and manipulate the "band" continued and eventually once the facade of the 1996 reunion scam was peeled away, Van Danniels crawled out of the rubble with Cherone as the hired singer.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14