Comments from someone who's heard AKOT - Van Halen Links.com
VHLinks.com  
Search    
FOLLOW US!  TWITTER / FACEBOOK / YOU TUBE | 2012 VH Tour | database | add site | contact  
Official Merchandise
Van Halen Store
Stage Left
Add A Site
News Archive
New Sites
Cool Sites
Top Rated
Random Site
Modify A Site
2012 Van Halen Tour
2007-08 Van Halen Tour
2004 Van Halen Tour
Van Halen Un-Radio
VHLinks/VHForums Store
Puzzles
Interviews
Eddie Van Halen
David Lee Roth
Sammy Hagar
Michael Anthony
Alex Van Halen
Gary Cherone
Miscellaneous

Free VH E-Mail
@fairwarning.com
New User Sign-Up
Lost Password
Newsletter
Sign-up for our periodic site newsletter.

Welcome to Van Halen Links.com, the largest web community of fans of the band, and site directory. You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you only limited access to the discussion and other board features. Dive into the discussions with other Van Halen fans and register a free account today. It takes only 30 seconds to fill out the form.

And if you want to take further advantage of being a member here, for $9 a year ($14 for two years), you can become a Premium Member of our board which gives you:
  • 200 megs of upload space
  • Custom avatars
  • Expanded Private Message quota
  • Custom user titles
  • Access to our special member forums
  • And much more!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Van Halen Links.com > Van Halen Only Forums > Main VH Discussion

Share This Thread!  

Notices

Main VH Discussion

This is the general discussion forum for all things having to do with Van Halen. That means discussions of all tours, interviews, current news, speculation on the band's future, the band's history and beginnings, etc. all goes here. In other words, if it's about Van Halen, post about it in this forum.

Main VH Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01.12.12, 03:12 AM   #1
Jape Man
Eruption

Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Default Comments from someone who's heard AKOT

From Melodicrock. . .(I like these comments!)

In related news, I heard from one retailer in the US that was invited to a playback of the album. He commented to me: "Overall, heavier than I expected. Highlights were China Town, Stay Frosty (think Ice Cream Man), Big River, Beats Workin' (reminds you of DOA in the verse). She's The Woman is a great track, we all thought it was a better track than the single."
Security for the presentation was super tight though - with the exec from Interscope flying in especially with a coded CD and then taking it back with him when he left. Seems the powers that be are doing everything possible to prevent a leak of the album.
Old 01.12.12, 03:23 AM   #2
BRENDOEVH
Romeo Delight

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I like the comments about the songs....! A bit over the top regarding the coded cd and protection ... interscope would have pressed thousands of copies of the cd for distribution worldwide by now ... a dirty copy lurks somewhere! Though they did keep Tattoo under wraps!
Old 01.12.12, 03:38 AM   #3
Raldo
Atomic Punk

Liked 388 Times in 267 Posts
Favorite VH Song: Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Can't wait to hear the other songs!

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com
Old 01.12.12, 03:53 AM   #4
Dave's Dreidel
Finance geeks are sexy!

Liked 3,280 Times in 1,936 Posts
Favorite VH Album: A Different Kind of Truth
Favorite VH Song: Stay Frosty

Premium Member

This is a total guess, but I just have a feeling that the fan base if going to be thrilled with this release.

"I don't know why women are so uptight...they got half the money and all the p***y!" - the great Gary Busey!

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Where in the hell is the new Lowtide album?
Old 01.12.12, 04:04 AM   #5
edhalen
Hot For Teacher

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Favorite VH Album: Fair Warning
Favorite VH Song: Unchained

Donor
Send a message via Yahoo to edhalen

I agree DD - I think it's going to be old school VH and it will ROCK! I think people will really enjoy it.

Old 01.12.12, 04:21 AM   #6
r8ter316
Hot For Teacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: Changes Every Hour
Favorite VH Song: Changes Every Minute

Old 01.12.12, 04:40 AM   #7
sinner's swing
Baluchitherium

Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Favorite VH Song: Unchained

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jape Man View Post
From Melodicrock. . .(I like these comments!)

In related news, I heard from one retailer in the US that was invited to a playback of the album. He commented to me: "Overall, heavier than I expected. Highlights were China Town, Stay Frosty (think Ice Cream Man), Big River, Beats Workin' (reminds you of DOA in the verse). She's The Woman is a great track, we all thought it was a better track than the single."
Security for the presentation was super tight though - with the exec from Interscope flying in especially with a coded CD and then taking it back with him when he left. Seems the powers that be are doing everything possible to prevent a leak of the album.

Nice Little bits of info like that keep you going. And it's not like a spoiler because if anyone remembers Gary's brother(?) back in the day leaking out his description of VH3, the finished product clearly didn't resemble what we thought it would. I have a lot more faith this time around.
I think the security while being overly cautious, is kinda cool. As much as I want the cd now, I'm rooting for it not to leak. It would be great on a few different levels if it didn't.

"But people need to shut the f--- up. It is what it is. Relax. Itís fun, itís playful, itís got the big backgrounds and everyone needs to not worry so much. Let it be."
---John Shanks, on Tattoo.

"If it sounds good when you play it and you're really proud of playing it, then fucking go play it. And if you really like your record and it leaks, then stream it on your website. Don't keep people from getting your music, give them the fucking music, let them fucking hear it."
--- Dave Grohl

"I think there was a large faction of people around here that were just waiting for this thing to suck so they could continue to rag on VH ad nauseum, the fact that a lot of those people seem to at least dig the song a little, tells me that the tune is just fine."
--- Lode

"It's audio-cocaine on a stick this damn Van Halen."
---Noise Next Door
Old 01.12.12, 05:01 AM   #8
sickman
Baluchitherium

Liked 377 Times in 211 Posts

Donor

I like the idea of it being Heavier than expected.
Old 01.12.12, 05:08 AM   #9
VOODOO812
Hot For Teacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickman View Post
I like the idea of it being Heavier than expected.
This is all consistent with everything we've heard from Nuno, Tremonti and the various people who were working on the CD. Also, if I recall, one of the early "rumors" was that the label (unknown at that time) had rejected songs, because they felt they were "too heavy". One of the other "rumors" was that they were reworking "old demos" and I believe VHND debunked that, yet it turned out to be true as well. So, we'll see how this unfolds. I tend to agree, just knowing "She's the Woman" and "Bullethead" are on this CD, that they released something a little more palatable to the general consumer rather than releasing a "punch-you-in-the-face" Van Halen classic rocker. Let's face it, the majority of the music buying public isn't used to that anymore. This is going to be a looooong 25 days. Hopefully we'll be able to get the download on the 4th from NZ.
Old 01.12.12, 05:12 AM   #10
Lodewijk
Atomic Punk

Liked 473 Times in 287 Posts
Favorite VH Song: She's The Woman, Mean Street

Premium Member

Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
This is a total guess, but I just have a feeling that the fan base if going to be thrilled with this release.

I think at this point, that's absolutely impossible. Most ? Maybe. But the BEST VH can hope for anymore is 70/30 favorable. They've just been so versatile over their careers that everyone likes a different kind of VH.

Some prefer the more polished version, some prefer the version thats more raw and gritty. Some like their lyrics more witty and tongue n' cheek, some like stuff that's more direct and poignant . They've just set their own bar so high, which is a good thing, but it's tough when your new stuff gets measured against the best stuff you've done.
Old 01.12.12, 05:23 AM   #11
drsmoke
Little Dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, first post on the site. A friend of mine recently revealed he has been secretly in on the mixing of the new album for the last few months in L.A. He was asked to keep all on the down low until announcements had been made which he did. He stated the album is simply killer. He's been a fan of the band since the early 80's and this was a huge honour for him to be able to sit in on these sessions. I was told I won't be disappointed, the band came through big-time for the fans and it all sounds fantastic. Not much info other than that but, I hope it keeps the drooling process going for some. Great site!! Happy to be here!!
Old 01.12.12, 05:24 AM   #12
DreamIsOver
Good Enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Favorite VH Album: 1984/OU812
Favorite VH Song: 5150/Crossing Over

I saw this posted on a different board, not sure if it's been posted here yet. It was from "somebody who heard the record" and was totally unsourced so take it for what it is worth-----

1. Tattoo

You've all heard this one - not a bad groove, would have been better later in the album

2. She's The Woman

This should have been the kick off. Old time VH feel, great rocker with DLR on top form

3. You and Your Blues

Surprisingly laid back. Probably the coolest VH track I've heard. killer solo - didnt think Eddie had this sort of thing in him

4. China Town

This seems another oldie - a bit like Running With The Devil, big riff and big vocals. Wolfie does a great job on this one.

5. Blood and Fire

I'm On Fire 2. Fast paced rocker with classic VH sound. Solo could have come from any of the first 2 albums

6. Bullethead

Another Full on rocker. Hot For Teacher drum beat. A bit ordinary.

7. As Is

This was a real surprise. Could be Hagar era VH. Melodic, slower, understated in many ways. Best track on the album.

8. sweetiebabydoll

Don't like this. More bubblegum DLR solo than VH. Skip

9. The Trouble With Never

Another 'ballad'. Solid but a bit safe.

10. Outta Space

Outta Love more like. It has that groove to it.

11. Stay Frosty

This is another I think I've heard before. Women and Children first feel to it.

12. Big River

Another huge riff and classic Eddy fast solo. DLR on top form

13. Beats Workin'

Similar feel to She's A Woman. A great ending to a better-than-anticipated album.
Old 01.12.12, 05:25 AM   #13
graphicbrian
Eruption

Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts

I think what I'm going to try and do and is kick it back old school - try (and I mean try) not to read any reviews about the new album until after I've bought it and played it a few times...so as I go forth, threads like this one I will avoid, but man is that going to be tough! I want to soak up every tidbit of information that's out there. Like everyone, I've been starved for information from this band.
Old 01.12.12, 05:27 AM   #14
DoinTime
On Fire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: F.U.C.K.
Favorite VH Song: Aftershock

Nice! If that's for real, I'm definitely looking forward to 'As Is' and 'You and Your Blues'.

No Mark Stone, no Van Halen!
Old 01.12.12, 05:51 AM   #15
Bluesbro
On Fire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Favorite VH Album: Love them all
Favorite VH Song: Love them all

I will be surprised if I don't REALLY like at least few of the new tracks. I think this isn't going out on a limb to say Ed has not been this clean and happy for decades. He is just too good of a musician and song writer to not score big on a few of these tracks at least. And I would expect most if not all will be good at least. Can't wait to hear.

Tags
akot, comments, heard