PDA

View Full Version : VH 1984 Montreal Forum video

dropdeadlegs
04.20.00, 10:32 AM
I know there's a presumable bootleg video of a 1984 Van Halen Montreal Forum concert out there. I see it on Ebay all the time. Anybody out there seen it? Do you recommended getting it?

[This message has been edited by dropdeadlegs (edited April 20, 2000 at 11:32 AM).]

The Full Bug
04.20.00, 10:55 AM
The Montreal 1984 bootleg is a classic. The quality of it is a little blurry, but it's a must have for any Dave fans. I highly recommend it.

------------------
"Don't stick you're tongue out at me unless you're gonna use it, honey."

It's Dave or The Grave!!!!

Eat Us and Smile!!!!

Eddie_italian
04.20.00, 11:01 AM
I think that this topic will moved in the bootleg section !

But , i got the Montral 1984 video ! ... The sound board is very good , the picture too , an A-- , because it is shot audience from far , and you can see VH a little bit smaller ! ... But , this is a must for a VH fans , because this is the only video from 1984 tour that i know exist !
By the way : There's a montreal 1982 video that I got too : sound perfect , picture B- !
There's a Montreal 1986 video too : great sound and picture too . Finally the best is the 1984 one !!!

Eddie_italian from Italy

NOaverageJOE
04.20.00, 11:15 AM
I have a copy of the '84 Montreal video...it's a must. Eddie's guitar solo is AWESOME!

Joe

Eddie_italian
04.20.00, 11:17 AM
Yep ! It's true , Eddie solo is really great in there ! ... he gots a good hard-rock sound in there ! U right !! http://www.vhlinks.com/vhlforum/smilies/biggrin.gif http://www.vhlinks.com/vhlforum/smilies/biggrin.gif YUNNNK http://www.vhlinks.com/vhlforum/smilies/biggrin.gif http://www.vhlinks.com/vhlforum/smilies/biggrin.gif !!!!

Eddie_italian from Italy

dropdeadlegs
04.20.00, 11:37 AM
Thanks for feedback fellow Halenites!

Ironically, Montreal is my hometown but I didn't see that concert.

SwollenPrincess
04.20.00, 12:07 PM
It is a good movie for a VH collector just to have in the collection but I think it is the worst thing I have ever watched.

Darkstar
04.20.00, 04:42 PM
So can any of you folks tell me how I could get my hands on a copy?

------------------
Where the possessed go to mingle........

Goo
04.20.00, 04:49 PM
Moving to bootleg forum guys

------------------
A little zen... Headed your way...

BigBubba
04.20.00, 07:14 PM
i have 6 songs from it
lol

------------------
*For Those About To Rock...We Salute You*

MartQ
07.24.05, 04:02 AM
Hello,

(I'm new to this , so if my question has already been posted , please forgive me)

While going through this site , I had the pleasant surprise to realise that there's apparently a video available from the Montreal 1984 concert.

I was present at that concert and although , the opening act was shitty , this is one of the best concerts I have seen in my life.

How can I ourchase the DVD? Is it downloadable somewhere?

Thanks from an old Canadian fan.

Martin Larose
www.martinlarose.com

Blind Lemon Loons
07.24.05, 04:39 PM
I have a copy of the '84 Montreal video...it's a must. Eddie's guitar solo is AWESOME!

Joe

I dig the solo with Eddie's version of Cream's version of the Mississippi Sheik's original of,"Sittin' On Top Of The World." Cream probably modeled their version after Howlin' Wolf's.

Jeff Hausman
04.19.16, 03:17 PM
On this day in 1984, The Mighty Van Halen played the Montreal Forum.

For this anniversary, I uploaded a better quality version of this concert than the ones currently on Youtube, and wrote this article for VHND:

Watch Van Halen LIVE in Montreal, April 19th, 1984 (Video Upgrade) (http://www.vhnd.com/2016/04/19/watch-van-halen-live-in-montreal-april-19th-1984-video-upgrade/)

thismusicsux
04.19.16, 03:28 PM
yup. Van Halen. the best concert intros ever, I'd say.

CaboChris
04.19.16, 03:28 PM
yup. Van Halen. the best concert intros ever, I'd say.
Tingling.

bklynboy68
04.19.16, 03:30 PM
The roar of the crowd says it all.

cfimages
04.19.16, 05:38 PM
Was that an early version of Dave's jazz hands near the beginning of HFT?

fudd
04.19.16, 06:24 PM
Just watched it all. Surprised they didn't play more songs.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

Dave's Dreidel
04.19.16, 06:34 PM

Cocaine effects started to wear off.

atomicpunk5151
04.20.16, 09:43 AM

That was the standard set list from almost the entire 1984 tour. The drum, bass, keyboard and guitar solos + dave's 1984 sword stuff took up a few songs. Show was a bit bloated.

Unchained
Hot for Teacher
Drum Solo
On Fire
Runnin' With the Devil
Little Guitars
Cathedral
House of Pain
Bass solo
Jamie's Cryin'
I'll Wait
Everybody Wants Some!!
Girl Gone Bad
Jump
Guitar Solo
Oh, Pretty Woman
Panama
You Really Got Me
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

++++

Funny thing about the next night in Quebec City. On 4/21/84 they actually added Ice Cream Man and Summertime Blues into the set for a night.

thismusicsux
04.20.16, 09:59 AM
That was the standard set list from almost the entire 1984 tour. The drum, bass, keyboard and guitar solos + dave's 1984 sword stuff took up a few songs. Show was a bit bloated.

Unchained
Hot for Teacher
Drum Solo
On Fire
Runnin' With the Devil
Little Guitars
Cathedral
House of Pain
Bass solo
Jamie's Cryin'
I'll Wait
Everybody Wants Some!!
Girl Gone Bad
Jump
Guitar Solo
Oh, Pretty Woman
Panama
You Really Got Me
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

++++

Funny thing about the next night in Quebec City. On 4/21/84 they actually added Ice Cream Man and Summertime Blues into the set for a night.

sometimes I laugh because these were the same solo spots they were doing for years since 1981. The extra keyboard/sword thing was new, sure.

And I guess it was sorta strange... no songs from VHII on this tour, and only EWS and Unchained from those. But they played most of the new album and having GGB and HOP was killer.

Dave's Dreidel
04.21.16, 05:23 AM
In retrospect, they had started to become what they attacked in their younger years (which most bands do).

Bass solo's and front man pom pom dances should never happen in a rock show.

Odin's Magick
04.21.16, 08:39 AM
Unchained
Runnin' With the Devil
Jump
Panama
You Really Got Me
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Wait a minute. Aren't the above songs part of the same tired ole bunch that Van Hagar performed over the years?

atomicpunk5151
04.21.16, 12:11 PM
sometimes I laugh because these were the same solo spots they were doing for years since 1981. The extra keyboard/sword thing was new, sure.

And I guess it was sorta strange... no songs from VHII on this tour, and only EWS and Unchained from those. But they played most of the new album and having GGB and HOP was killer.

Also remember that sometimes EWS went between 11 to 15 minutes on most nights in 1984. Plenty of fucking around and downtime.

I liked the Jams sections/parts better on the Diver Down tour.

Having HOP and GGB LIVE was a great part of the 84 tour as you mentioned. Those usually kicked ass.

On Fire was also a nice add back into the set in 84. Ed and Al usually kicked ass on that one most nights.

They played a ton of songs off VHII on the HYST in 82-83 so I can see why they gave those a break in 84.

JUNGLE DRUMMER
04.22.16, 03:08 PM

I don't know, they typically played 16-18 songs on every tour from '80-'91.

PrideofPasadena
04.29.16, 09:15 PM
Unchained
Runnin' With the Devil
Jump
Panama
You Really Got Me
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Wait a minute. Aren't the above songs part of the same tired ole bunch that Van Hagar performed over the years?

ATBL, Panama and YRGM were the only ones that became tiresome with Sam.

PrideofPasadena
04.29.16, 09:34 PM
GGB was just out of control!

How the angles are sometimes it looks like they're falling from the sky.

RRvh1
04.30.16, 04:54 AM
On this day in 1984, The Mighty Van Halen played the Montreal Forum.

For this anniversary, I uploaded a better quality version of this concert than the ones currently on Youtube, and wrote this article for VHND:

Watch Van Halen LIVE in Montreal, April 19th, 1984 (Video Upgrade) (http://www.vhnd.com/2016/04/19/watch-van-halen-live-in-montreal-april-19th-1984-video-upgrade/) Awesome!!!
Thanks, Jeff.

I've always wanted a pro shot dvd of the 1984 tour, among others... That extended "Lost Weekend" footage was so damned neat!
Montreal 1984 is a great show. I haven't seen it in a while, but will take a peak at your new upgraded clips.

Dave's Dreidel
04.30.16, 07:57 AM
Great show...but damn...way too much downtime...especially DLR's fucking solo "dance".

Ego run amuck there.

RRvh1
04.30.16, 08:08 AM
Wasn't that one of Edward's main gripes about that tour? He mentioned there being too much of a Vegas type of vibe. Too many solo spots and filler, according to him.
"It felt like we were doing each show, one member at a time..." - EVH.

DFVH5150
04.30.16, 12:30 PM
Also remember that sometimes EWS went between 11 to 15 minutes on most nights in 1984. Plenty of fucking around and downtime.

I liked the Jams sections/parts better on the Diver Down tour.

Having HOP and GGB LIVE was a great part of the 84 tour as you mentioned. Those usually kicked ass.

On Fire was also a nice add back into the set in 84. Ed and Al usually kicked ass on that one most nights.

They played a ton of songs off VHII on the HYST in 82-83 so I can see why they gave those a break in 84.

Always was surprised at least DTNA didn't make the cut. BG should've been brought back for '84. Never understood why it and ATCWR only were played on the tours of their accompanying albums only. Big hits and great in concert on top on that.

DFVH5150
04.30.16, 12:32 PM
In retrospect, they had started to become what they attacked in their younger years (which most bands do).

Bass solo's and front man pom pom dances should never happen in a rock show.

I always thought the samurai sword thing was awesome. Surprised a lot of you guys and gals hate that.