PDA

View Full Version : On Fire Cover

Get The Show On The Road
08.27.18, 12:47 PM
There was a thread a couple days back talking about how your VH experience has changed over time. On Fire kind of fits the bill for me as I didn't much care for it at first but its grown on me. So I figured I'd post this as a tribute to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfGoWmX484A

Its kind of in the style of the '77 Civic opener which is pretty raw and rowdy. Or at least that's kind of what I was going for with the ad-libs and whammy dives. Actually that boot is kind of what changed my opinion of the song.

RRvh1
08.27.18, 01:15 PM
I like it!
Some neat riffage in there for sure... Thought the bridge before the solo would've had some benefit from upstrokes on the high E & B strings, yet dug the approach you took. The muffled harmonics before the verses was different, yet cool. I'll have to listen to that bootleg again. Nice job all around!.

Get The Show On The Road
08.27.18, 01:52 PM
I like it!
Some neat riffage in there for sure... Thought the bridge before the solo would've had some benefit from upstrokes on the high E & B strings, yet dug the approach you took. The muffled harmonics before the verses was different, yet cool. I'll have to listen to that bootleg again. Nice job all around!.

Yeah, I can't play that part very well. I used to just chug on the low strings and omit the high e and b altogether but I've been trying to play it more correctly as of late.

RRvh1
08.27.18, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I can't play that part very well. I used to just chug on the low strings and omit the high e and b altogether but I've been trying to play it more correctly as of late.

I hope that didn't come across wrong? Your version kicked arse.
There's a LOT of firepower in the club days VH boots, and I love the tone and approach Eddie had back then! Like you said, On Fire wasn't a fave of mine for quite a while, yet I really grew to appreciate it.

I think if you played that ^^^ in a club with a crowd whio knew the tune, that you'd be getting some free beers and probably a phone # or two... :D

Get The Show On The Road
08.27.18, 02:12 PM
I hope that didn't come across wrong? Your version kicked arse.
There's a LOT of firepower in the club days VH boots, and I love the tone and approach Eddie had back then! Like you said, On Fire wasn't a fave of mine for quite a while, yet I really grew to appreciate it.

I think if you played that ^^^ in a club with a crowd whio knew the tune, that you'd be getting some free beers and probably a phone # or two... :D

No, it's cool. I don't mind that sort of thing and TBH that one part was what made me hesitant to post it because I know it's not right.

That said I thought the rest of it was good enough that I would overlook that part because it's only like 5 percent of the song and it's not as bad as what brettify would play. :D

RRvh1
08.27.18, 02:25 PM
No, it's cool. I don't mind that sort of thing and TBH that one part was what made me hesitant to post it because I know it's not right.

That said I thought the rest of it was good enough that I would overlook that part because it's only like 5 percent of the song and it's not as bad as what brettify would play. :D

Whew... Haha.
We love the clips. Cool to see VH tunes being played with a genuine EVH guitar. My current lack of practicing would make owning a legit EBMM financially stupid, yet I love hearing other's in action!

Bretify? Haven't seen much of his stuff lately. Has he been accepted into Berkley yet? :D

Harpospoke
08.27.18, 07:17 PM
Nice job!

Reminds me. I've been meaning to learn that solo and rip it off for other songs.

Brett
08.27.18, 10:10 PM
Sounded good to me man. You’re cheatin’ on that solo though. :)

JUNGLE DRUMMER
08.29.18, 04:44 PM
As usual, love it! Nice job on my favorite tune off #1.

pickslide
08.31.18, 12:03 PM
Sounded good to me man. You’re cheatin’ on that solo though. :)

You talking about the symmetrical scale runs? Yeah, he cheated a little, but he earned points back with that harmonic vamp/dive bomb right after...

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

TK

JUNGLE DRUMMER
09.01.18, 08:11 PM
You talking about the symmetrical scale runs? Yeah, he cheated a little, but he earned points back with that harmonic vamp/dive bomb right after...

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

TK

Yep, Show's ad libs are definitely in the spirit of early VH live performances, and one of my favorite things about his vids. One of my favorite aspects of CVH was the band never really sounding the same night after night, with all the different fills that Ed and Al would throw into songs that weren't on the original studio tracks. At this point in my life, I'm the same way. When I play, I never play a tune the same twice. It's more fun to me to just go with the flow and play whatever I'm feeling at the moment, as long as it flows with the tune.