PDA

View Full Version : Ok Here's An Original I Am Finishing Up

Brett
03.21.17, 10:24 AM
So this is a song I was writing for my band. I brought it in maybe a year ago and we changed up some parts to work better for singing, so I altered my demo for them so our singer could write lyrics, learn the guitar parts etc. I used my Rasta on this, Guitar Rig 5, and the drums I did through Garageband which actually sound really good. Bass I did on a cheapass Rogue bass I have and don't really care about it, as long as it got the point across for our bass player...I'm not a very good bass player. For now it's called "Change" but I doubt that will stick when the lyrics are written. It's not an instrumental track, meaning it's written for verse/chorus bridge/solo so it is kind of repetitive without singing. But like I said this was the recording I did for my singer so he could have everything.

Sorry it seems like I'm monopolizing this forum with my own stuff, but just trying to encourage everyone to post their stuff, even if they're worried about how they sound. I mean I'm doing it, you guys can!

https://soundcloud.com/ban5150/change-original-track-no-vocals-new-and-improved

PCh5150
03.21.17, 10:29 AM
So this is a song I was writing for my band. I brought it in maybe a year ago and we changed up some parts to work better for singing, so I altered my demo for them so our singer could write lyrics, learn the guitar parts etc. I used my Rasta on this, Guitar Rig 5, and the drums I did through Garageband which actually sound really good. Bass I did on a cheapass Rogue bass I have and don't really care about it, as long as it got the point across for our bass player...I'm not a very good bass player. For now it's called "Change" but I doubt that will stick when the lyrics are written. It's not an instrumental track, meaning it's written for verse/chorus bridge/solo so it is kind of repetitive without singing. But like I said this was the recording I did for my singer so he could have everything.

Sorry it seems like I'm monopolizing this forum with my own stuff, but just trying to encourage everyone to post their stuff, even if they're worried about how they sound. I mean I'm doing it, you guys can!

That riff has nice momentum Brett! The solo is very fluid sounding also. You have good vibrato, which I tend to think can't be taught that well, it seems to be unique to each player. I'm liking it!

Ted Van Halen
03.21.17, 10:32 AM
Nice. I love hearing what you guys (anyone who posts clips) are doing.

Brett
03.21.17, 10:38 AM
Thanks man I think vibrato is such an important part of playing, I've really spent a lot of years working on that.

EJC
03.21.17, 10:46 AM
Nice work Brett. Good production. I like your tone a lot.... Kind of a mix of VH and some 90s STPish stuff

~E

pickslide
03.21.17, 10:47 AM

Sounds great. Would love to hear it with vocals.

TK

Brett
03.21.17, 10:55 AM
Nice work Brett. Good production. I like your tone a lot.... Kind of a mix of VH and some 90s STPish stuff

~E

Thanks man that's actually exactly what I was going for.

Dave's Dreidel
03.21.17, 11:12 AM
Zakk Wylde doesn't like it. He says enough with the vibrato and more pinch harmonics.

Dave's Dreidel
03.21.17, 11:13 AM
Brett, that was great to listen to, I could hear the lyrics in my head as I was listening to it, you did a great job giving your vocalist room.

bklynboy68
03.21.17, 11:30 AM
Well done, Brett!

Jedi McFly
03.21.17, 11:42 AM
Great riffs, loved the layering in the instrumental section pre-solo, and then a killer solo with a great build up too. Really good stuff.

masong
03.21.17, 12:02 PM
Nice job Brett! I enjoy hearing what the linkers have done with their own music. This one is very standout!

noise next door
03.21.17, 04:36 PM
Killer track

FYI... I immediately heard these following words/melo in the first verse (starting in bar 9):

(TAB in standard tuning)

You can't deny me
I won't take the fall
Innocence allows me
She never goes that far

u cant de-ny me
--1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
e|----------------|----------------|
B|----------------|----------------|
G|----------------|----------------|
D|----1---0---1-1-|--4-------------|
A|----------------|----------------|
D|----------------|----------------|

I wont take the fall
D|--1-1---1-1---1-|----------------|

Inn-o-cence al-lows me
D|----1-0-1---1-1-|--4-------------|

She ne-ver goes that far
D|--1-1-0-1-1---1-|----------------|

Brett
03.21.17, 04:48 PM
Haha nice. Oh it's tuned down to Eb, playing it in D# would be nutty.

PrideofPasadena
03.21.17, 09:41 PM
Love it!
Great work Brett!
You totally nailed that chorus. Great chorus. The transition is prefect to. That's what I have trouble with. I can write a cool riff, or three, but putting them together or finding where to go is tuff.

Between you and Jedi you guys need to start releasing records.:)

Brett
03.21.17, 10:14 PM
Love it!
Great work Brett!
You totally nailed that chorus. Great chorus. The transition is prefect to. That's what I have trouble with. I can write a cool riff, or three, but putting them together or finding where to go is tuff.

Between you and Jedi you guys need to start releasing records.:)

Appreciate it man. I can't take all the credit for that though, my singer (plays rhythm guitar) and I together changed the chorus up a little bit to work better with what we thought would be a melody we could have a big chorus with.

PrideofPasadena
03.22.17, 08:11 PM
Appreciate it man. I can't take all the credit for that though, my singer (plays rhythm guitar) and I together changed the chorus up a little bit to work better with what we thought would be a melody we could have a big chorus with.

Please convey to him for me nice work.:headbang:

Brett
03.22.17, 08:12 PM
Please convey to him for me nice work.:headbang:

No he already has too big of an ego. Haha.

Brett
03.22.17, 08:13 PM
I'll see if I can find one of the versions that has the original chorus.

RRvh1
03.23.17, 09:03 AM

https://soundcloud.com/ban5150/change-original-track-no-vocals-new-and-improvedThat sounded awesome, Brett!
You're being too modest because the tune and recording, as well as the playing, has a pro quality to it for sure.

Nice riffs and chord sequences. Loved the lead lines in the solo. Killer stuff with a few nods to EVH for good measure!
I really was reminded of that part in Amsterdam, before the solo started, where you had that ascending pattern playing a couple of times...

Wicked playing, man. Dig the profile pic as well. :)

Brett
03.23.17, 09:05 AM
Thanks man and yes I was totally doing the Amsterdam thing before the solo, I'm glad you noticed!

PrideofPasadena
03.23.17, 01:44 PM
No he already has too big of an ego. Haha.

Hahaha...yeah, you better cancel that.

PrideofPasadena
03.23.17, 01:46 PM
I'll see if I can find one of the versions that has the original chorus.

Cool. Interesting to see where you guys were at before this.

CalFB
03.23.17, 02:31 PM
I like it, nice one Brett, should make a cool song once complete. I'm crap at completing tunes.

JUNGLE DRUMMER
04.08.17, 10:58 PM

Nice! Love the gritty aggressive verse riff, but then it takes off into a catchy uplifting chorus Big Rock riff. The bridge sets up the blistering solo nicely.

I could totally hear this tune having some great over the top AVH influenced drumming. :D

Hopefully we get to hear the finished full band version with lyrics and vocals soon. Very well done, Brett. :thumb:

Dave's Dreidel
04.09.17, 03:40 AM
I like it, nice one Brett, should make a cool song once complete. I'm crap at completing tunes.

That's me, I probably have about twenty songs in some form of completion. Most of the time, I can't get it to sound like how I hear it in my head and I just get discouraged.

ziggysmalls
04.10.17, 04:36 AM
Cool song and definitely can hear somebody singing over this. Never would have gotten the Amsterdam reference if nobody pointed it out/

Great phrasing in the solo