PDA

View Full Version : Manchester, NH soundcheck -- RARE songs played

VanJuJu
03.14.12, 12:34 PM
I was lucky enough to hear the soundcheck in Manchester. Van Halen played some its rarest songs. In order:

1. Bottoms Up! (complete, with backing vocals)
2. Drop Dead Legs (complete, twice)
3. Feel Your Love Tonight (with DLR and backing vocals)
4. Hang 'em high (Intro)
5. Outta Space (complete)
6. You Really Got Me (several bars)
7. Don't Tell Me (several bars)
8. You and Your Blues (complete w/ backing vocals)

SNIC
03.14.12, 12:35 PM
I was lucky enough to hear the soundcheck in Manchester. Van Halen played some its rarest songs. In order:

8. you and Your Blues (complete)

YES!!!

:headbang:

jabbo
03.14.12, 01:20 PM

4. Hang 'em high (Intro)

Wow, that's the first acknowledgment that the Hagar era existed from them since Dave has been back

johnnybeane
03.14.12, 01:21 PM
Was Roth on stage during "Don't Tell Me"?

That would be wild!

VanJuJu
03.14.12, 01:33 PM
Was Roth on stage during "Don't Tell Me"?

That would be wild!

No -- that would've been wild though!!

Dave was onstage for the end of "Drop Dead Legs," and he sang some of "Feel Your Love Tonight."

After Dave left, the three Van Halens remained.

Ed started playing "Don't Tell Me," and then Alex joined in... It was only a few bars of the song, but it was pretty cool.

I couldn't believe how well "You and Your Blues" translated live (!!)

Model Citizen
03.14.12, 01:49 PM
DDL and YAYB would blow my mind.

:headbang:

mike zack
03.14.12, 01:51 PM
Just shows how much fun they are having playing together and how tight they are. If these make it to a show even better!!

johnnybeane
03.14.12, 01:51 PM
No -- that would've been wild though!!

Dave was onstage for the end of "Drop Dead Legs," and he sang some of "Feel Your Love Tonight."

After Dave left, the three Van Halens remained.

Ed started playing "Don't Tell Me," and then Alex joined in... It was only a few bars of the song, but it was pretty cool.

I couldn't believe how well "You and Your Blues" translated live (!!)

I think "You and Your Blues" is one of the best songs on the album.
Hope they work it into the set.

MF5150
03.14.12, 01:54 PM
Ohhhh I'm thinking Drop Dead Legs is going to get busted out the night after Wolf's B-Day in Toronto. :bounce::bounce::bounce: :smokin:

Don't Tell Me?!?!? Can you imagine.....live....Dave.........:eek:

But before we get ahead of ourselves....JuJu...how did you get into the soundcheck?

JakeK21
03.14.12, 01:57 PM
Super cool!! That's all I can say. :D

VanJuJu
03.14.12, 02:24 PM
But before we get ahead of ourselves....JuJu...how did you get into the soundcheck?

We got to New Hampshire early, and went over to the arena to take a photo of this big Van Halen banner that was hanging on a window outside the Verizon Center. It was about 4:35pm, and we were taking photos in front of the banner.

Suddenly, music started playing, so we all ran up to the front doors of the Verizon Center, which are see-through. VH was playing "Bottoms Up!" -- loudly. We tried to get in the doors, but they were locked.

A security guard, who was sitting by one door reading a book, saw us and motioned over to another door that was in front of the stage. Inside, a door leading to the arena, looking straight at center stage, was wide-open (!!) We could see the entire stage, and the cameramen were filming the soundcheck on the big screen.

We listened out there for about 35 min, and watched the entire soundcheck. A few ppl walked by -- we were saying to them: "They're playing Drop Dead Legs!!" They were older though, and didn't seem to care. (Their loss!)

We were the only ones there aside from guard, as far as I could tell -- and he left at 5pm, before soundcheck was over... It was like a private show!!

James in New York
03.14.12, 02:29 PM

WHEW!

Bring them on!!! :)

ignorance_is_bliss
03.14.12, 02:34 PM
We got to New Hampshire early, and went over to the arena to take a photo of this big Van Halen banner that was hanging on a window outside the Verizon Center. It was about 4:35pm, and we were taking photos in front of the banner.

Suddenly, music started playing, so we all ran up to the front doors of the Verizon Center, which are see-through. VH was playing "Bottoms Up!" -- loudly. We tried to get in the doors, but they were locked.

A security guard, who was sitting by one door reading a book, saw us and motioned over to another door that was in front of the stage. Inside, a door leading to the arena, looking straight at center stage, was wide-open (!!) We could see the entire stage, and the cameramen were filming the soundcheck on the big screen.

We listened out there for about 35 min, and watched the entire soundcheck. A few ppl walked by -- we were saying to them: "They're playing Drop Dead Legs!!" They were older though, and didn't seem to care. (Their loss!)

We were the only ones there aside from guard, as far as I could tell -- and he left at 5pm, before soundcheck was over... It was like a private show!!

That's awesome. Very cool!

Wolfgang Slinger
03.14.12, 02:36 PM
Love it.

It's really refreshing to know that a really cool gem could be played at any show, in any city at any time this time around.

MF5150
03.14.12, 02:42 PM

Well aside from Eddie, Dave, Wolfie and Al...you are THE first people to hear VH play Drop Dead Legs (in it's entirety) since 1984.

Fucking awesome?

I think so! :headbang::headbang::headbang:
Well

tito5150
03.14.12, 02:50 PM
Sound checking a lot of old stuff,could be a coin flip from here on out.There making it interesting.Will they overhaul the set list?

The Mighty Watcher
03.14.12, 02:51 PM
Wow. I would have thought Ed would rather chop his own fingers off than play a Sam era tune.

mike zack
03.14.12, 02:52 PM

Story of the tour!!

Paulsitive
03.14.12, 02:53 PM

I agree. Great tune, I'll be surprised if its not a single.

Also on another note I doubt they would ever do Don't Tell Me, prob just jamming. But I fully accept an instrumental!

Vanjuju, what bars of Dont Tell Me did they play, and did Wolf know it? Just curious.

leroy
03.14.12, 02:57 PM
well i asked someone i know who was at the soundcheck to confirm this and they said "no mainly everything they are playing on the tour." and "just the band" in attendance.

ExpandedConsciousness
03.14.12, 03:15 PM
Wow. I would have thought Ed would rather chop his own fingers off than play a Sam era tune.

Eddie wrote the music, he can jam during sound check or when warming up to his own riffs anytime he wants. You think he hates his own music depending on who sang over it? No way.

bsbll4
03.14.12, 03:24 PM
well i asked someone i know who was at the soundcheck to confirm this and they said "no mainly everything they are playing on the tour." and "just the band" in attendance.

Daaaaamn. Calling him a liar? :)

skiff13
03.14.12, 03:37 PM
Sorry- they played Full Bug during sound check. Heard it myself with 2 others. I call BS on this one.

Raldo
03.14.12, 03:50 PM

I really hope so! Love this tune!

nicholas_kudochop
03.14.12, 04:50 PM
Drop Dead Legs.. PLEASSSSSSEEEE! In Denver if possible!!! Thanks!

vhouttaspacejj
03.14.12, 04:53 PM

4. Hang 'em high (Intro)

Usually I would say I will believe it when I see it but shit on this tour anything seems possible.

mcguirj
03.14.12, 05:50 PM
This is just awesome. I was estatic when VH played MSG 3/1 show. Not only for all the great tunes that were played, but most importantly, they are switching the set list consistently. A major change from past VH tours. Been to plenty of VH shows and this is so refreshing. I never thought I would hear WIL and HIABL live . The thought of DDL, and You and Your Blues is just great. Sounds like the upcoming shows will be equally great with more surprises. Simply awesome.

VanRoth07
03.14.12, 06:43 PM
the main thing thats keeping me interested in this tour is the setlist changes, by the time they get to Texas, who knows what we will hear, i may have to go to all 3 Texas shows just out of curiosity

eeprete
03.14.12, 07:10 PM
Don't Tell Me... I'd just love to hear a few riffs from that and I'd be so satisfied.

YAYB, best song on the new album along with STW. I can listen to those over and over and over....

Reckless Fable
03.14.12, 08:08 PM
What are the chances they are getting HD quality recordings of them doing these deep cuts at various shows? Honestly, this might be the best DVD in history if the release one that is various recording from the tour.

If they do this, I might go, something, something......crazy? Don't mind if I do!

5yGJGTjV2WE

sinner's swing
03.14.12, 08:22 PM
Sorry- they played Full Bug during sound check. Heard it myself with 2 others. I call BS on this one.

Why are you sorry? No one said they didn't play The Full Bug. :confused:

sinner's swing
03.14.12, 08:24 PM
Ohhhh I'm thinking Drop Dead Legs is going to get busted out the night after Wolf's B-Day in Toronto. :bounce::bounce::bounce: :smokin:

Don't Tell Me?!?!? Can you imagine.....live....Dave.........:eek:

DDL at our show would be . . . I can't find the words :)

johnnybeane
03.14.12, 09:48 PM

Also on another note I doubt they would ever do Don't Tell Me, prob just jamming. But I fully accept an instrumental!

Vanjuju, what bars of Dont Tell Me did they play, and did Wolf know it? Just curious.

I think "You and your blues" should have been the first or second single.
It's got radio written all over it.

Although i don't listen to FM radio and haven't even heard "Tattoo" on the radio.

As far as "Dont Tell Me" during sound check, im sure Eddie wasn't thinking and just started playing it and AL joined in.

Probably played it for 20 seconds then stopped.

Would love to see/hear video/audio of that!

VanJuJu
03.15.12, 10:40 AM

Eddie played that crunchy riff at the beginning of the tune -- the one before Sam sings, "I can jump!" Alex joined in on the drums.

In all honesty, Wolf might not have known the song... I play bass, but the excerpt didn't last long enough for me to get a solid impression, either way.

After "Don't Tell Me," they were all smiling and laughing -- they seemed to be having a great time.

VanJuJu
03.15.12, 10:52 AM

Bad call.

If you were there, you would have heard "Drop Dead Legs," played twice at about 4:35pm.

You would've heard them play "Feel You Love Tonight," "Outta Space," and "You and Your Blues" in full, also.

I saw it with my own eyes, and heard it with my own ears -- so you can say whatever you'd like, really, but you're full of it. I was there, as were several other people.

I don't understand the psychology behind posting something like you just did... "People are strange," indeed.

skiff13
03.15.12, 10:57 AM
Bad call.

If you were there, you would have heard "Drop Dead Legs," played twice at about 4:35pm.

You would've heard them play "Feel You Love Tonight," "Outta Space," and "You and Your Blues" in full, also.

I saw it with my own eyes, and heard it with my own ears -- so you can say whatever you'd like, really, but you're full of it. I was there, as were several other people.

I don't understand the psychology behind posting something like you just did... "People are strange," indeed.

At 4:08pm on Tuesday they played The Full Bug. I am not full of it was just before you got there and we left so we are both correct apparently. After looking at your list and the numbered list, I thought you were saying thats all they played. They played FB too....thanks for the info

Capes
03.15.12, 11:11 AM
you mentioned in your descriptions that dlr was with them for feel your love tonight, and you say complete or full in some of your other descirpitions? Does this mean that dave was singing in the ones you described as complete or just feel your love tonight? I never knew Dave to do soundcheck with the band at all but if this is what you heard, bring the tunes on!! would love to hear anything off the new album as well as the deep cuts!

VanJuJu
03.15.12, 11:12 AM
At 4:08pm on Tuesday they played The Full Bug. I am not full of it was just before you got there and we left so we are both correct apparently. After looking at your list and the numbered list, I thought you were saying thats all they played. They played FB too....thanks for the info

Fair enough. We didn't hear "The Full Bug" during soundcheck, but it sounds like you arrived earlier and also left earlier than us.

Your post makes me wonder if they did any other tunes during the Manchester soundcheck between 4:12pm - 4:35pm... I'm more interested in that than the missing 18-minute gap in the Watergate tapes.

VanJuJu
03.15.12, 11:33 AM
you mentioned in your descriptions that dlr was with them for feel your love tonight, and you say complete or full in some of your other descirpitions? Does this mean that dave was singing in the ones you described as complete or just feel your love tonight? I never knew Dave to do soundcheck with the band at all but if this is what you heard, bring the tunes on!! would love to hear anything off the new album as well as the deep cuts!

The only time we saw Dave onstage during sound-check was at the end of "Drop Dead Legs;" (he didn't sing,) and then right afterward during "Feel Your Love Tonight." He sang parts of "Feel Your Love Tonight," and also sang that song's harmonies with the VHs.

P.S. When I wrote "complete," I meant they played the whole song, solo and all.

fletch2u
03.15.12, 12:45 PM
The only time we saw Dave onstage during sound-check was at the end of "Drop Dead Legs;" (he didn't sing,) and then right afterward during "Feel Your Love Tonight." He sang parts of "Feel Your Love Tonight," and also sang that song's harmonies with the VHs.

not calling anyone anything here....Live nation people at each show I've been to have specifically have said Dave is not doing the sound checks because he is saving his voice for the show. I did not ask on Tuesday night so you never know....

vcooper3
03.15.12, 03:00 PM
Don't Tell Me would be cool live. Its one of the best openings Van Hagar tunes IMO.
I hope Drop Dead Legs gets played live eventually.

donkost
03.15.12, 03:10 PM
Don't Tell Me would be cool live. Its one of the best openings Van Hagar tunes IMO.
I hope Drop Dead Legs gets played live eventually.

Absolutely ridiculous idea, but if Dave sang that song an octave lower I think it could be pretty badass, since it's a badass riff to begin with. Never going to happen though, except in some kind of Seinfeld Bizarro world. Dave could think of it like he's doing a cover song. He already covers The Kinks and Roy Orbison. haha

cav
03.15.12, 03:44 PM

4. Hang 'em high (Intro)

That was very cool. I was there as well. Thought I heard Tattoo during sound check too?

Capes
03.15.12, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the clarification and congrats on seeing a killer mini show. Wasnt doubting just found it odd to hear that Dave was involved. Thanks for the info

VanJuJu
03.15.12, 06:11 PM
That was very cool. I was there as well. Thought I heard Tattoo during sound check too?

It certainly was!! I will never forget it.

We didn't hear "Tattoo," but we got to the Verizon Center at 4:35pm. It seems like VH were sound-checking before that, e.g. someone said that they played "the Full Bug," which we didn't hear.

5150who
03.15.12, 07:59 PM

You and your blues would play amazing in the new concert set list. I had the Mohegan experience in CT, and it was the best concert I've ever seen - no doubt. They add a few more new songs (Outta Space, Beats Workin) and maybe a few oldies from time to time (Full Bug, WHATGTG, Sinners Swing) and it will only be more glorious.

I'm already going to DC - they add some new stuff and I'm buying tix to a 3rd show!:headbang:

BSizzle
03.15.12, 08:14 PM
They should add Outta Space as the show opener.

vanCherone
03.15.12, 10:03 PM
... who the hell makes an effort to listen to a VH soundcheck and then LEAVES half-way through?

That is highly illogical, Captain.

VanJuJu
03.15.12, 10:46 PM
... who the hell makes an effort to listen to a VH soundcheck and then LEAVES half-way through?

That is highly illogical, Captain.

In the guy's defense, when we first got there, there was no music playing. We thought we'd missed soundcheck. (He and his buddy had probably thought thy'd seen it all.)

"Outta Space" and "You and Your Blues" translated particularly well live. I could see "Outta Space" in place of "She's the Woman."

vanCherone
03.16.12, 12:22 AM
I don't see them dropping the second radio single anytime soon, but it would be nice to put another new tune into the set.

I still think "Everybody Wants Some!!" is rather replaceable.