PDA

View Full Version : Bad Earthquake Here in LA

Brett
07.29.08, 10:41 AM
Wow that was a big one, 5.8 it looks like. Chino Hills was the epicenter.

loveevhsince79
07.29.08, 10:47 AM
Glad to see you posting so we know you're safe and sound. How's everyone else doing?

markp
07.29.08, 10:48 AM
wow, thats a little to large. Hopefully, everyones ok.

Brett
07.29.08, 10:49 AM
I'm fine (family's fine), I'm 80 miles or so from the epicenter, but it was still sizable here.

VanHalenRules
07.29.08, 10:53 AM
Hope everyone out there is doing OK.

Man, I don't know how you folks do it. Got to be unnerving having the ground move beneath you.:eek:

Brett
07.29.08, 10:53 AM
You get used to it.

ZeoBandit
07.29.08, 10:54 AM
Wow. Grad to hear you are OK! We'd go crazy without the Links. I'd actually have to start working during the day. :scared:

Brett
07.29.08, 10:55 AM
Well even if I die, the Links server will still be up. :) Well actually the server company is in the Valley, so they might go too. :)

ZeoBandit
07.29.08, 10:55 AM
Here's the info from cnn.com:

Earthquake rocks Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A magnitude-5.8 earthquake has struck just east of Los Angeles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake's epicenter was about 2 miles southwest of Chino Hills and about 5 miles southeast of Diamond Bar, the USGS said. Chino Hills is about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

The center was about 7.6 miles deep. In general, earthquakes centered closer to the Earth's surface produce stronger shaking and can cause more damage than those further underground.

A 5.8 magnitude quake is considered by the USGS to be "moderate," which can cause slight damage to buildings and others structures. About 500 can happen globally each year, the survey says.

CNN's Ed Lavandera was at Disneyland with his family and felt the temblor. He said the shaking lasted about 5 seconds.

Booth
07.29.08, 10:56 AM
see i told you. get the servers the fuck outta there. :thumb:

markp
07.29.08, 10:59 AM
You get used to it.

Thats the truth. Actually, everytime one happens I'm reminded I realllly need to get some earthquake supplies together.

VanHalenRules
07.29.08, 11:03 AM
Thats the truth. Actually, everytime one happens I'm reminded I realllly need to get some earthquake supplies together.

At least we get a 'season' for 'canes over on the coast. I know that by June 1, I better have most of my supplies together.

VegasVic
07.29.08, 11:16 AM
Maybe Ed called Mike to invite him back. That would be earth-shaking...

Filthy 150
07.29.08, 11:17 AM
I wish the Bay Area would get a 'little' one between now and Labor Day.

We are going to be there over that weekend and seeing news like this reminds me that it has been a while since a significant one has hit there.

VanHalenRules
07.29.08, 11:18 AM
Now revised to a 5.4

Van Squalen
07.29.08, 11:33 AM
Felt it up here in SB too.

Always gotta have disaster emergency supplies, boys n' girls. Canned food, energy bars, batteries, candles, matches, flashlights, solar powered/crank AM/FM radio, at least three days of bottled water for every member of the family, spare tank of gasoline (four 5 gallon cans usually covers it), extra pet food for pets, plus stored potable water for them as well, breathing filter masks, self protection, a months' worth of necessary medications, a proper array of first aid inventory, a Leatherman or Swiss Army tool, and so on. You should also have a 'mini' survival kit tucked in a easy to tote backpack stashed in your vehicle, if shit goes down while you're on the highway, you might need it to get home or wait out the shit.

New Orleans proved how ready we all are in crisis mode, particularly if relief efforts are stalled and/or prevented in some manner.

Also recommended...sooner or later, some stupid nuclear incident will happen, it's inevitable. Whether it's terrorists, a dirty bomb, a full incident, an accidental meltdown in your area, or whatever...it can't hurt to have two weeks' worth of potassium iodide pills for each member of your family. Those at ground zero will be fucked regardless, but those under the fallout spread MIGHT avoid radiation poisoning if their thyroid is full of PI. The Olympics teams, the Secret Service, FEMA and most branches of government hoard them as standard issue provisions.

AJHV
07.29.08, 11:43 AM
I was in a car so i didn't feel it. Thank god.

pgaugh5150
07.29.08, 12:10 PM
Maybe Ed called Mike to invite him back. That would be earth-shaking...

:funny:

Ace Ventura
07.29.08, 12:37 PM
You get used to it.

I'll tell you Brett, when I lived out there, I went through two of them and they freaked me out like crazy! The first one was the worst! And I believe that one was only around 4.3 or so....

Axxman300
07.29.08, 01:52 PM
The governor said that he activated the Emergancy Response Center to monitor the situation...

This means that they set up a card table in the hallway in the basement of the capitol building and there's somebody there with a laptop, a TV tuned to CNN and a bowl full of quarters for the payphone. That person will leave at 5:00pm though to avoid overtime on his minimum wage payscale.:D

The governor has probably stripped to the wasted and is loading his machine gun while an assistant oils his chest.

I still think we're going to have a large on up our way in the 6+ range before November.

Glad nobody's been hurt. Anything over a five is enough to cause you to check your shorts.

onefootoutthedoor
WTF, I checked this page on craigslist at about 5:00 AM before I went to sleep. My parents live less than ten miles from Chino Hills, so they felt it pretty good. Like it's been stated already, it's something you get used to over time.

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/118-34.html

edwardv
When I heard it on the radio at work my first thought was I hope all the west coast linkers are ok along with everyone else. Scary shit.....

VegasVic
07.29.08, 01:56 PM
I still think we're going to have a large one up our way in the 6+ range before November.

Glad nobody's been hurt. Anything over a five is enough to cause you to check your shorts.

My mind is in the gutter today. I couldn't help but laugh reading these last two lines...

Context is everything, isn't it?

seenbad
07.29.08, 03:32 PM
Perspective-

They say this one held about ONE PERCENT of the energy found in the 97' Northridge quake which was a 6.7.

ddzavis
07.29.08, 03:53 PM
Wow, we have some folks visiting San Fran for a conference. Glad to see everyone is okay. I've been thru one that occured in 1984 in the Mechanicsburg, PA area which is about 20 miles west of Harrisburg, Pa. It felt like a trained roared & shooked the house That was wild. Like I said, hope all is well.

onefootoutthedoor
07.29.08, 03:59 PM
Wow, we have some folks visiting San Fran for a conference. Glad to see everyone is okay. I've been thru one that occured in 1984 in the Mechanicsburg, PA area which is about 20 miles west of Harrisburg, Pa. It felt like a trained roared & shooked the house That was wild. Like I said, hope all is well.

They should be ok, the quake was about 400 miles away. ;)

OLO
07.29.08, 04:23 PM
Perspective-

They say this one held about ONE PERCENT of the energy found in the 97' Northridge quake which was a 6.7.

Thats scary.

EVHgirl in Va
07.29.08, 04:36 PM
I am no fan of the "quakes"! I'm from SC we don't have that kinda stuff ther.e

We did have a nice earth shimmy here in Cville in 2001 or 2002 I was reading to my daughter and the house started shaking... a few things fell off the wall. It was enough for me. I'm a scaredy cat:D

Daisy Hill
07.29.08, 04:38 PM
my brother called to tell me he felt the eartquake in San Diego.....glad there was no major injury or damage ... scary shit there! Earthquakes, forest fires... geez!

Brett
07.29.08, 06:56 PM
Perspective-

Northridge quake was 1994 (Martin Luther King Day), not 1997 and was the scariest thing I have ever been through. Thought we were dead for sure, I have never felt shaking like that ever. It was so powerful it threw my car onto the curb when I was living at home. And it wouldn't stop either. This was nothing like that, no, but it was a big quake nonetheless.

My parents basically got a new house out of the '94 quake, as companies went out of business trying to pay off all the earthquake policies (that are no longer in existence).

track 5
07.29.08, 07:24 PM
Glad ya'll are ok. Fuck that shit. No way in hell I could live where the earthquakes happen. Out.

VH sis
07.29.08, 07:25 PM
Yikes! It was very scary..Glad everyones OK..

JMJ
07.29.08, 07:27 PM
ya felt that shit at work...shook pretty good.

was felt as far as vegas.

good thing it was only a few miles under ground. had it been deeper it could have caused some damage

onefootoutthedoor
07.29.08, 08:27 PM
ya felt that shit at work...shook pretty good.

was felt as far as vegas.

good thing it was only a few miles under ground. had it been deeper it could have caused some damage

Actually you have it backwards. The deeper the epicenter, the less damage there is on the surface versus if the epicenter is closer to the surface, the more likely hood there is for more serious damage.

C5A1B5O0
07.29.08, 09:29 PM
I was on the phone with my mom when that happened. I could hear my nephew on 3 years old screaming and crying cause he didn't know what to make of it.

I'll tell ya we have it all hear in CA. Gang violence, Fires, Robberies, Killings, murders, Tornadoes, Droughts, Earthquakes, Dykes, Faggots, Great place to bring up a family! :D

LLFHS
07.29.08, 10:03 PM
It was nothing. I was working at the time 13-15 miles from the epicenter. Very little damage at the office and no damage at my home. The news is making it more than it is just because it was the biggest shaker since Northridge.....and the fact that it makes a good news show. :rolleyes:

I'll tell ya we have it all hear in CA. Gang violence, Fires, Robberies, Killings, murders, Tornadoes, Droughts, Earthquakes, Dykes, Faggots, Great place to bring up a family!

please GOD, give me a break.

Hurricane Halen
07.29.08, 10:28 PM
Glad to see all of our west coast friends are doing ok. Even tho I would never wish any harm on anyone, I would love to just feel a good earthquake. Just like it's hard for some to understand that living with Tornados is no big deal, I can't even imagine the earth shaking violently under foot.

Glad the damage isn't severe around the LA area.:thumb: Isn't Calif overdue for the "BIG ONE" hitting?

LL, bro...........watch out for falling shit and stuff. ;)

HH<-----Mother Nature has "tough love" for Cali-for-ni-a--------

Van Squalen
07.29.08, 11:30 PM
I'll tell ya we have it all hear in CA. Gang violence, Fires, Robberies, Killings, murders, Tornadoes, Droughts, Earthquakes, Dykes, Faggots, Great place to bring up a family! :D

Dude. :rolleyes:

Brett
07.30.08, 12:19 AM

Also the greatest weather, the beaches, the mountains, the desert, all within 2 hours of each other.

I'll take all that shit you mentioned everyday, because it ain't no different than anywhere else. Not sure about the tornados thing though. :wtf: Jesus man calm down.

Brett
07.30.08, 12:24 AM
It was nothing. I was working at the time 13-15 miles from the epicenter. Very little damage at the office and no damage at my home. The news is making it more than it is just because it was the biggest shaker since Northridge.....and the fact that it makes a good news show. :rolleyes:

I know, it was NOTHING compared to Northridge. Dude we've never had a quake like Northridge, even the Sylmar quake of '71 (I was a month old) my parents said didn't compare to Northridge.

EVHgirl in Va
07.30.08, 04:20 AM
Hey, we even have "gangs" here in Charlottesville - one of the top ten places to live in America - well, it use to be :D

ZeoBandit
07.30.08, 05:59 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/30/earthquake.ca/index.html

Tougher codes kept quake damage down

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- One reason the California earthquake caused only minor damage was new, tough building codes enacted since the deadly Northridge quake in 1994, according to an expert with the U.S. Geological Survey.

Tuesday's quake "was located in an area that's been almost completely built since about 1995," seismologist Lucy Stone told CNN. "We had major changes in the building codes because of what we learned in Northridge. And the most modern construction is really much, much better to withstand earthquakes than earlier buildings. There weren't many older buildings nearby."

The magnitude 5.4 earthquake in metropolitan Los Angeles, California, caused no serious damage or injuries, but experts say it's a reminder that the "Big One" could happen at any time.

"This earthquake reminds us to be prepared," California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said. "We were very fortunate that there were no serious injuries or property damage."

California has a 99 percent chance of experiencing a major earthquake within the next 30 years, according to a report by state and federal agencies.

The Los Angeles quake "is a sample, a small sample," said Kate Hutton, a seismologist at the California Institute of Technology.

Hutton said there is a 5 percent chance the quake could be a precursor to a larger earthquake. After 24 hours, she said, that chance will drop to 1 percent.

"Every earthquake relieves some stress," Hutton said. "It's usually only a drop in the ocean. In other words, the amount of stress released by this earthquake is minuscule compared to the amount that's built up and is building up for the Big One when it happens some day in the future."

And when will that be?

"From a geologist's point of view, the answer has to be soon," she said. "But geologists are used to thinking on millions of years and thousands of years time scale, so I don't think that gives any useful information for people, except be prepared at any time because it could happen at any time." Watch Hutton say Tuesday's quake was a sign of bigger ones to come

A magnitude 5.4 quake shook northern California in April. A magnitude 4.4 struck the greater Los Angeles area in August 2007.

There is a 99 percent chance of California experiencing a quake of magnitude 6.7 or more within the next 30 years, according to the Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast, sponsored by the U.S. Geological Survey, the California Geological Survey and the Southern California Earthquake Center in a report published in Science Daily in April.

Schwarzenegger said he believes the state is "as prepared as anyone can be. We have continuous discussions about that. We are fanatics about emergencies and to be ready."

The largest earthquake in recent years in California was a magnitude 7.1 in 1999, Hutton said. But it was centered in the desert, near Twentynine Palms, in a sparsely populated area.

Tuesday's quake struck about 11:42 a.m., according to the USGS. Its epicenter was about 2 miles southwest of Chino Hills and about 5 miles southeast of Diamond Bar.

More than 30 aftershocks were recorded. Hutton said the largest was a magnitude 3.6.

Los Angeles police said a downtown hotel sustained some structural damage, but no one was injured and the building was not evacuated. There were some unconfirmed reports of minor injuries.

Despite the absence of serious damage or injuries, some Los Angeles-area residents were left rattled. The quake was felt as far south as San Diego, and the USGS said it received reports of light shaking as far north as Rosamond, California, about 55 miles north-northeast of Los Angeles.

Reports from those who felt the quake poured into CNN.

"My house was like a fun house. Everything was moving," said Danny Casler, 28, of Huntington Beach. He said he was sleeping when his house began shaking, and some things fell in the living room. He ran out of the house in his boxer shorts.

Lawyer Kevin Crisp said he was on the phone with his partner, who burst out, "Big quake!" Crisp said he felt it about five seconds later. "This was very impressive. Long and very uniform. Really had the building going." He said doors were swinging on the hinges and bottles of wine were rolling back and forth on his shelf.

"It just started with a really strong jolt," Wendy Criner said. "I ran and got my daughters from different rooms, and we squatted in the living room. I did have stuff fall off the shelf, some books in my daughters' room and some things in the kitchen."

The quake knocked out a ground radar system at Los Angeles International Airport, but that did not interfere with operations, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. Tiles fell from the ceiling in one terminal as water flowed from a burst pipe.

The calculation of the quake's magnitude fluctuated as seismologists reviewed the data. Initially classified as a magnitude 5.8, the quake's intensity was reduced to a 5.6 and then to a 5.4. Because the earthquake magnitude scale is exponential, a 5.8 magnitude quake is four to five times more intense than a 5.4.

Two nuclear plants are in the vicinity of the quake's epicenter near Chino Hills, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The closest to the epicenter is in San Onofre, 50 miles south, but an NRC spokesman said, "this is well below the threshold for any conceivable damage to the plants."

Still, the quake jolted the nerves of many Californians.

"I've lived in California, I've lived through several of them," Margot Wagner of Santa Barbara told CNN. "It's always a little unnerving."

Axxman300
07.30.08, 11:40 AM
Depth of the quake doesn't automatically mean that the shaking will be less or have more power.

WHERE the epicenter is determines nature of the quake.

You can have a shallow quake in rock that is plastic (geologic term for pliable rock) and the impact is nominal. You can have a deep quake in a solid rock base (like the 4.3 we had in 1984 on the San Gregorio falt) and because it was a Granite base the shaking was violent.

Loma Prieta was a 6.9 or a 7.1 depending on which Seismology department you hang out in (The UC Santa Cruz guys insist on the 7.1) and it was at a depth of 9KM. Most of the death and destruction from that quake occurred about 40 miles away in Oakland and San Francisco. It knocked down the Cyress Structure (Nimitz Freeway) and knocked out a chunk of the Bay Bridge. Meanwhile, I only lived 20 miles away from the center and my home was fine, everything was knocked on the floor but the house was okay. The forces at work here were that the damage in the Bay Area occurred on landfill, places that had once been marsh but had been filled in over time and then built upon.

The Los Angeles basin was mostly desert so there isn't as much landfill down there. You can look up seismic shake maps from the USGS and see what I'm talking about. I'm not saying LA is safer than SF, far from it, just that the dangers are different. The most powerful earthquakes in the state of California have been in the southland and there's no reason to believ that this will change over the next 1000 years. The chunk of land that LA and San Francisco sit on (including my neighborhood) is going to end up being part of British Columbia in 60,000,000 years. That also means that Cabo will be right across the bay from Oakland.

That's the force we're dealing with here.

looper_guy
07.30.08, 11:59 AM
That also means that Cabo will be right across the bay from Oakland.
Other than the fact that he'll be dead, that's a sweet deal for Sammy.

As for Loma Prieta, there was a bowel-stirring moment in my life. Everytime I drove to/from the East Bay after 1989, I was accutely aware of the section of the Bay Bridge that collapsed. I wasn't phobic about it but it has always lingered in my mind as did the comments from the USGS saying "that WAS NOT the "Big One". Makes me shudder to think what the "Big One" will do.

Number 47
07.30.08, 02:28 PM
I'm not being funny here, but do earthquakes have any effect, good or bad, on all of the fires happening in that entire area.

Not in the sense of stressed emergency services and such, but geographically, can an earthquake snuff out a raging fire, make it worse, or have no effect at all.

SecretWind
07.30.08, 04:43 PM

please GOD, give me a break.

Ditto and Ditto!

We're about 30 mi. from the epicenter, and even though it definitely shook me up and motivated me to get in the doorway, the media sure carried on about it! You'd have thought it was the Northridge quake by the way they went on and on. :rolleyes:

My brother is even closer to the epicenter, and he heard the rumbling first. I didn't hear that here.

I'm just so glad it didn't hit in the middle of the night. Those are twice as scary - when you're woken up out of a dead sleep and the world is topsy-turvy.

seenbad
07.30.08, 05:39 PM
I'm not being funny here, but do earthquakes have any effect, good or bad, on all of the fires happening in that entire area.

Not in the sense of stressed emergency services and such, but geographically, can an earthquake snuff out a raging fire, make it worse, or have no effect at all.

How would you figure it possibly could?

C5A1B5O0
07.30.08, 05:52 PM
Also the greatest weather, the beaches, the mountains, the desert, all within 2 hours of each other.

I'll take all that shit you mentioned everyday, because it ain't no different than anywhere else. Not sure about the tornados thing though. :wtf: Jesus man calm down.

My bad. I was having one of those bad hair days, I am glad all of you down in my old hometown are doing ok I believe the tornado dropped in Moreno Valley in the Riverside area about 2 or 3 months ago. it was the day you guys had one day where it like hailing then rain. I was talking to my girl on the phone the day that happened. Apologies if I was out of line my fellolinkers!

Number 47
07.30.08, 07:50 PM
How would you figure it possibly could?

Take the human equation out of it, and the earth still catches fire, burns, shakes, rains and rolls over on itself.

In nature it would just be business as usual... wouldn't it?

As humans, we measure everything that fucks with our plans for tomorrow.

How could I possibly figure an answer to my own question? :headbang:

seenbad
07.30.08, 08:07 PM
uhhhhhhh.....

Rock on homie.:headbang:

LLFHS
07.30.08, 08:23 PM
I know, it was NOTHING compared to Northridge. Dude we've never had a quake like Northridge, even the Sylmar quake of '71 (I was a month old) my parents said didn't compare to Northridge.

Oh, Northridge was a different animal altogether. Shit collapsed and killed people on that day. I still remember what I was doing when it hit. I had insomnia and decided to watch The Empire Strikes Back for the billionth time. Right around the time Yoda was giving that long speech on the Force, all hell broke loose. I dove for the doorway of my bedroom and watched the medicine cabinet empty itself right into the bathroom sink.

I was a driver at the time for a dairy in Southgate and I found myself out of work for a few days as all the stops on my LAUSD route had to undergo inspections. Overpasses and apartment buildings came down.......Was a fucked up week.

LLFHS
07.30.08, 08:30 PM

Sounds like something for the Mythbusters to look into. :D

seenbad
08.04.08, 10:46 PM
This was fascinating. Goes against the grain of what you were taught, but this is good solid common sense. READ!! (Especially if you live in Cali!!)

Subject: Where to be During an Earthquake

Remember that stuff about hiding under a table or standing in a doorway?? Well, this guy has a completely reverse opinion. This is very interesting, different from what we were all taught.

Boy! Is this ever an eye opener! Directly opposite of what we've been taught over the years! I can remember in school being told to, 'duck and cover' or stand in a doorway during an earthquake. This guy's findings is absolutely amazing. I hope we all remember his survival method if we are ever in an earthquake!!!

Please read and pass the info along to your family members; it could save their lives someday!

EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE: 'TRIANGLE OF LIFE'

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake.

I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a member of many rescue teams from many countries.

I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation for two years. I have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for simultaneous disasters.

The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under its desk. Every child was crushed to the thickness of their bones.

They could have survived by lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene, unnecessary and I wondered why the children were not in the aisles. I didn't at the time know that the children were told to hide under something.

Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a space or void next to them. This space is what I call the 'triangle of life'. The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact.

The less the object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured. The next time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count the 'triangles' you see formed. They are everywhere. It is the most common shape you will see in a collapsed building.

TIPS FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY

1) Most everyone who simply 'ducks and covers' WHEN BUILDINGS COLLAPSE are crushed to death. People who get under objects, like desks or cars, are crushed.

2) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fetal position. You should too in an earthquake. It is a natural safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a smaller void. Get next to an object, next to a sofa, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but leave avoid next to it.

3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake. If the wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created. Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight. Brick buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.

4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the bed. Hotels can achieve a much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a sign on the back of the door of every room telling occupants to lie down on the floor, next to the side of the bed during an earthquake.

5) If an earthquake happens and you cannot easily escape by getting out the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to
a sofa, or large chair.

6) Most everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse is killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls forward or backward you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jam falls sideways you will be cut in half by the doorway. In either case, you will be killed!

7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different 'moment of frequency' (they swing separately from the main part of the building).

The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each other until structural failure of the stairs takes place. The people who get on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads - horribly mutilated. Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the stairs. The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when overloaded by fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety, even when the rest of the building is not damaged.

8) Get Near the Outer Walls Of Buildings Or Outside Of Them If Possible - It is much better to be near the outside of the building rather than the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the building the greater the probability that your escape route will be blocked.

9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which is exactly what happened with the slabs between the decks of the Nimitz Freeway. The victims of the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were all killed. They could have easily survived by getting out and sitting or lying next to their vehicles. Everyone killed would have survived if they had been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All the crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars that had columns fall directly across them.

10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices and other offices with a lot of paper that paper does not compact. Large voids are found surrounding stacks of paper.

ZeoBandit
08.05.08, 04:59 AM
Very interesting read, and it makes sense. Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

OLO
08.05.08, 08:43 AM
Makes sense to me, thanks for posting that Seen.

Guitar Shark
08.05.08, 08:52 AM
Interesting read, but take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/triangle.asp

Number 47
09.19.17, 07:46 AM
3.6 magnitude earthquake strikes near Westwood

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-westwood-earthquake-20170918-story.html