PDA

View Full Version : First Game Terror!!

RRMB
07.12.08, 06:36 AM
I thought about putting this in the MLB Thread in Play Ball; but decided to put it here anyway.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080712/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbn_boy_injured_wrigley

CHICAGO - Doctors and family members say a 7-year-old boy who fractured his skull when he was struck by a foul ball at Wrigley Field was recovering and expected to live.

Dominic DiAngi of suburban Frankfort was sitting behind the Cubs dugout Thursday afternoon during a game between the Chicago Cubs and Cincinnati Reds when a foul ball off the bat of Cubs pitcher Ted Lilly struck him in the head.

On Friday, the boy was in serious condition. Children's Memorial Hospital spokeswoman Julie Pesch says the boy regained consciousness on Friday and doctors said he was steadily improving throughout the day.

The game was the first major league game the boy had ever attended.

i1sum2!
07.12.08, 10:01 AM
Ouch! And the kid's first game too. Bummer. Hope he gets better. How come pops didn't try to shield or deflect the ball?

billy007
07.12.08, 10:51 AM
Well, that's not what I want to be reading a day before jack007 is supposed to go to Wrigley without me!

edwardv
07.12.08, 11:22 AM
I was at a game a few yrs ago and about a 10 yr old takes a liner in the chest a row over from me. You have to stay in the game if your sitting in those seats where that can happen.

Bugs Meanie
07.12.08, 01:24 PM
I remember when that poor little girl died at a Columbus Blue Jackets NHL game a few years back taking a puck to the head. Because of it, the NHL netted off the ends of each NHL rink. I remember at the time everyone said it was going to ruin the experience but once the nets went up but no one seems to mind too much. That's the tough part about a baseball game, you can get by a foul ball almost anywhere in the whole park.

Ace Ventura
07.14.08, 05:44 AM
As sad as this is, I'm suprised this doesn't happen more often. Everytime I see a hitter rip one foul into the seats, I always cringe...

Looking back at this post, maybe I should have put this in the "Cow Farts" thread... :D