PDA

View Full Version : 'Jaws' site on alert after alleged shark sighting

ZeoBandit
07.11.08, 05:58 AM
Is this real or a hoax being pulled by someone? Who knows....

'Jaws' site on alert after alleged shark sighting

EDGARTOWN, Massachusetts (AP) -- The island where "Jaws" was filmed had a real-life shark scare Thursday, when an unconfirmed sighting of a great white forced the closure of two beaches.

South Beach on Martha's Vineyard was closed for a short time, and swimmers were kept out of the water at State Beach in Edgartown, the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation said.

A plane was dispatched to try to confirm the sighting, but no shark was spotted, said Lisa Capone, a spokeswoman for the state Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs.

In 1974, Steven Spielberg chose Martha's Vineyard for filming the movie version of "Jaws," depicting a series of deadly great white attacks in the fictional community of Amity.

Shark attacks are extremely rare in waters off New England, but great whites have been known to occasionally prowl in the region.

Ace Ventura
07.11.08, 06:08 AM
My bullshit-o-meter is ringing off the hook here... Sharks usually do not frequent these areas. Plus shallow waters are not generally shark friendly.

sickman
07.11.08, 07:13 AM
Are they sure it wasn't6 Dave with a shark fin strapped to his back.

voivod
07.11.08, 07:22 AM
In 2004, a great white was entrapped for two weeks in a salt pond not far from the island, giving Skomal and other researchers a rare opportunity to study the animal. "That was a telling sign for us that the animals are here," Skomal said.

Last year, great white sharks were believed to be feeding on the local seals. Other local sightings have been reported over the years, which Skomal attributed to a greater awareness, perhaps a fascination, with the animal. But he stressed that the greater number of reports does not necessarily translate into an influx of sharks.

edwardv
07.11.08, 01:41 PM
bump bump ....bump bump...... bump bump ...... bump bump.........

C5A1B5O0
07.11.08, 03:57 PM
I thought it was filmed at Universal Studios? :wtf:
Jaws is sitting comfortably in the water scarring people on the tram, I know i seen him :D

Rebel
07.11.08, 05:19 PM

I saw a "making of Jaws" show, or something like that. It was filmed at Martha's Vineyard and at the studio. I think they did all of the boat scenes at the studio.

Daisy Hill
07.11.08, 06:38 PM
It was a hoax...some douche bag has been cited for disorderly conduct

What a weird news week.......the entire United States (and parts of Ontario Canada) seem to be turning into Florida...how odd

Axxman300
07.11.08, 07:00 PM
heh...around here it goes like this:

Law Enforcement Officer: Hello, can I help you?

Caller: Yes, I'm calling to report a 18-foot long Great White shark was just off Lover's Point.

LEO: Okay....AND?

Caller: Well, aren't you going to do something?

LEO: Like what?

Caller: Put signs up on the beach?

LEO: Why would we do that? Sharks can't read. Is there anything else?

Caller: So you're not going to do anyting?

LEO: Has the shark attacked anybody?

Caller: No

LEO: It's probably not going to either. If he attacks someone, call us back. Have a nice day.

i1sum2!
07.12.08, 10:10 AM
heh...around here it goes like this:

Law Enforcement Officer: Hello, can I help you?

Caller: Yes, I'm calling to report a 18-foot long Great White shark was just off Lover's Point.

LEO: Okay....AND?

Caller: Well, aren't you going to do something?

LEO: Like what?

Caller: Put signs up on the beach?

LEO: Why would we do that? Sharks can't read. Is there anything else?

Caller: So you're not going to do anyting?

LEO: Has the shark attacked anybody?

Caller: No

LEO: It's probably not going to either. If he attacks someone, call us back. Have a nice day.

:funny:

LLFHS
07.12.08, 12:10 PM
Jaws is sitting comfortably in the water scarring people on the tram, I know i seen him :D

Certain scenes were filmed there (mostly pick-ups and post-production stuff), but about 90% was shot on Martha's Vineyard.

MF5150
07.12.08, 12:25 PM
My bullshit-o-meter is ringing off the hook here... Sharks usually do not frequent these areas. Plus shallow waters are not generally shark friendly.

That's not necessarily true. Most shark attacks happen in 3 feet of water close to the beach.

VanHalenRules
07.12.08, 12:40 PM
That's not necessarily true. Most shark attacks happen in 3 feet of water close to the beach.

Quite true. Just to our South in Volusia County it seems not more than a couple of weeks go by without someone being bit on New Smyrna Beach.

Just Google 'sharkbite capital of the world' and you will get all kinds of info on New Smyrna.;)

Onirb
07.12.08, 12:46 PM
Quite true. Just to our South in Volusia County it seems not more than a couple of weeks go by without someone being bit on New Smyrna Beach.

Just Google 'sharkbite capital of the world' and you will get all kinds of info on New Smyrna.;)

I go there often and many times I have seen dorsal fins breaking the water. I have seen many sharks up close scuba diving but one time I saw a HUGE fin break the water and I waited a little bit longer to go back in.

Double Down
07.12.08, 01:34 PM
And if I remember correctly the salt water was wreaking havoc on the operation of the metal shark. A lot of problems and delays.

The scene where Hooper goes down in the water at night and Ben Gardners head rolls into the hole was shot in a pool in Hollywood.

C5A1B5O0
07.12.08, 03:51 PM
Hey :

Is it true that a bull shark is the meanest of all the sharks. I heard they were known to beach themselves for there prey and go back in the water. I know there are some pictures over at the Santa Monica pier of a capture of a bull shark, and that thing looked huge. I mean I think it was someone here that said that the Ausie's have this traditional Olympics thing in austrailia and they couldn't perform it cause the bull sharks where chasing them :wtf:
Anyone ever heard of that?

Axxman300
07.12.08, 07:26 PM
Hey :

Is it true that a bull shark is the meanest of all the sharks. I heard they were known to beach themselves for there prey and go back in the water. I know there are some pictures over at the Santa Monica pier of a capture of a bull shark, and that thing looked huge. I mean I think it was someone here that said that the Ausie's have this traditional Olympics thing in austrailia and they couldn't perform it cause the bull sharks where chasing them :wtf:
Anyone ever heard of that?

Bull Sharks kill more people world-wide than any other shark. The famous series of attacks in New Jersey back in 1916 are thought to be Bull Sharks because they took place in both shallow surf and up a river. Bull Sharks will travel far up river to hunt, they kill dozens of people in India each year along their rivers.

They're just mean.

LLFHS
07.13.08, 12:33 AM
The scene where Hooper goes down in the water at night and Ben Gardners head rolls into the hole was shot in a pool in Hollywood.

Yup. They even poured a quart of milk into the pool to give the water a quality that would pick up the lighting a little better and make it a bit more eerie. According to the special features on the latest DVD release anyway.

MF5150
07.13.08, 07:09 AM
And if I remember correctly the salt water was wreaking havoc on the operation of the metal shark. A lot of problems and delays.

The editor's pool to be too exact. :D

WinterlessIceness
07.13.08, 08:57 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/KGB2K6/flying_shark.jpg

Their days are coming

Bugs Meanie
07.13.08, 01:39 PM
How come Hooper didn't use Gardner's boat (or head) as evidence to shut the beach down? He gets in an arguement with the mayor (love that poly suit with the anchors on it that he wore) and says he dropped the tooth in Gardner's boat and therefor has no proof. How come he didn't "look at the boat you jagoff, there are teeth and holes everywhere" and then pull Gardner's head out ala Medusa and say "if this dude could talk, he'd tell ya to shut down the f#*&'in beach". Poor Ben, it's like he didn't even matter.

MF5150
07.14.08, 05:06 AM
How come Hooper didn't use Gardner's boat (or head) as evidence to shut the beach down? He gets in an arguement with the mayor (love that poly suit with the anchors on it that he wore) and says he dropped the tooth in Gardner's boat and therefor has no proof. How come he didn't "look at the boat you jagoff, there are teeth and holes everywhere" and then pull Gardner's head out ala Medusa and say "if this dude could talk, he'd tell ya to shut down the f#*&'in beach". Poor Ben, it's like he didn't even matter.

They were going to...but after seeing Ben's head pop out of it....I assume that they just wanted to get the fuck outta there!

VanHalenRules
07.16.08, 05:58 AM
Just found a site where a photgrapher caught a blacktip shark right behind a surfer at New Smyrna.

http://www.kemmcnair.com/press.html

ZeoBandit
07.16.08, 08:13 AM
A Great White carcass washed up on a Nantucket beach yesterday:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/16891214/detail.html

billy007
07.16.08, 08:25 AM
A Great White carcass washed up on a Nantucket beach yesterday:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/16891214/detail.html

"You're gonna need a bigger trashbag..."